Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail

Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,001 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

The first part of this hike is a nice walk through the woods. It is pretty snowy through here in the spring. The gradual incline starts right at the end of the wooded section. From here, its a walk along the hill overlooking the valley below. This continues for around a mile until the path curves at a rocky area. Another section through meadows and woods and you'll get to the waterfall. After that, its much steeper taking the path up to the cave. NOTE: If you decide to explore the ice caves, you'll need climbing gear.

Bridge back open! Trail was good, lots of switchbacks and mud (after the morning freeze thawed). The approach to the waterfall and cave were quite iced and snowed over. It was sketchy with hiking shoes, but micro-spikes made it a non issue. Bring a headlamp for the cave, you can go quite a ways back without any issues and it is totally worth it.

bridge out

The bridge is out but don’t let it stop you! They have an alternative trail head, but it adds about 5 miles to the hike round trip and you hike along the gravel road to the real trail head. You also have to cross a shallow portion of the creek. We took off our boots and crossed barefoot, the water was painfully cold but it took maybe 3 seconds to cross. Once you cross it’s an easy 2 1/2 miles to the trail which felt like nothing because you’re on a gravel road. The trail itself is in great condition, but once you get towards the end there’s a lot of snow and mud. We slipped and fell a couple times going up to the waterfall and cave, nothing bad but I recommend hiking poles (we didn’t bring any - whoops) I also tried to get into the cave which looked pretty easy to do, had there not been so much ice on the rocks. Decided not to risk getting hurt so we didn’t go in. I think yak tracks and poles would be useful for the last portion of the trail, especially if you wanted to go in. It was VERY icy, but we were also there very early in the morning. Maybe some sunshine would melt it away.

bridge out

Bridge closure Date: 9/9/19 we went to hike this, but the bridge was closing at 9 am today for the rest of this month.

excellent trail. and the cave is one of the coolest I've ever been through. just be ready for some tight spaces.

The trail is very dusty and hot. Currently water for the dogs is only available at the beginning of the hike and the waterfall.

My favorite trail in the Tetons..!! Special memorial site for 4 girl scouts and troop leader in 1951..

Hiked it yesterday with my wife and kids (7-9 yo) great hike, they made it no problem. Made it up to the cave in one hour and 40 minutes.

Fairly beautiful hike (especially if you have never done Teton Crest Trail to compare to), the falls and cave were exceptionally fun but remember to bring flash light and layers of clothing for the cave. No wild life today unfortunately.

This trail is beautiful. A lot of switchbacks especially towards the top. There is a waterfall underneath the cave that is pretty although there isn’t much water right now. It took us about 4 hours total including stopping to eat lunch at the top. Saw 2 bull moose in the distance eating in a field

All previous reviews say it all. Next time will bring some additional cave exploring gear and crouch into the unknown.

Super fun trail with lots of different vegetation and great views. Plenty of wildflowers in mid-August. The waterfall and stream down from the cave are beautiful and there’s a number of good spots to have lunch. Legs were sore after the full hike! Saw plenty of people, dogs, and horseback riders on the trail, and spotted a bear a few hundred yards from the trail (right where it turns right to cut over to the cave).

Beautiful trail the entire distance. The first mile is a moderate incline, the second mile is more of a climb and the third plus half is the most steep. We spied a couple of foxes and a brown bear while hiking, which was awesome! We ate lunch at the waterfall and then continued up to the cave. We explored the cave beyond the crawl space to the point it started to drop off - pitch black and very cold, but fun! We had a couple of bright flashlights and jackets - wish we would have had gloves. The flowers were still gorgeous, especially the Indian Paintbrush. We had four adults and four teens in our group (ages 12 - 46) and it was a perfect distance. Most definitely worth the effort!

Great trail. We were only ones in the small hole of the cave and I got bugged out honestly event tho we had headlamps. We went past first small hole and another say 50 feet before I officially got too bugged out. Ha ha. I was in there with my 10 and 13 year old who wanted to keep going. Holy crap does it go down to a small space. Fun and exhilarating. Will probably go back again someday and go in farther. The hike up is beautiful. It got more heavily trafficked around 2 which was when we were finishing up. Weather was rolling in.. great day. Lots of wild flowers still.

This place is stunning - period. Water was low and cave access was easy. Went to the end of the big cave and continued into the small tunnel until I couldn’t fit through any longer.

Really awesome hikes! We loved that at mile 2 you can see the Wind Cave! The hike was mostly switch backs.

Great hike! We took our kids ages 8-13 and they loved it too. The waterfall and cave are worth the sustsained hike to the cave. Beautiful meadows and wild flowers among the way. Highly recommend.

Gradual climb for first couple miles. Then a little steeper for a mile. Last half mile even more. So worth it. Cave so unique and beautiful. Whole trail gorgeous.

Love this hike. Tried to get to the cave June 1, but too much snow. So I had to come back and try again! We loved exploring in the cave. Be prepared for rock scrambling inside. Headlamps, jackets and gloves.

Great hike. Steady climb on way up. Close to my house and have done this hike many times. Pay off is cave at top with water fall! It’s not a beginner trail and make sure to acclimate if coming from sea level.

Moderate incline until nearly reaching the cave/waterfall, then steep incline for the remainder. It was nice having a goal to achieve at the top and was not disappointing. Well worth the effort.

Beautiful views and not hard at all- more moderate. Definitely recommend going into the cave!

excellent views

Was able to go onto the cave. Very cool!

I love this trail. I have taken my children on this trail often over the years and have always been delighted. The trail is not really that hard. My children and grand child often complete it and are always thrilled by the cave at the top. We have never gone farther than the opening of the cave back to the entrance to the short crawl space. We are going tomorrow and are determined to go as far as the ice wall.! If you go remember your flashlights and a jacket as the cave is cold inside.