Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail

Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Driggs, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The first part of this hike is a nice walk through the woods. It is pretty snowy through here in the spring. The gradual incline starts right at the end of the wooded section. From here, its a walk along the hill overlooking the valley below. This continues for around a mile until the path curves at a rocky area. Another section through meadows and woods and you'll get to the waterfall. After that, its much steeper taking the path up to the cave.

My 11 yr old son and I hiked and loved it. The trail is beautiful the whole way up because the leaves are changing. The cave is very cold, bring a good jacket. Great hike, but definitely longer than listed here. I clocked it on my phone at just under 9 miles.

Excellant hike, beautiful foliage in the fall all the way up. The cave at the top is worth exploring, flashlight needed. Watch your footing, as ice is already forming along the stream bed.

We got all the way to the cave with our 3 year old and 1 year old. The wildflowers in the meadow at the top were unreal. It was a tough hike, but so worth it! The cave was so neat!

Great hike with beautiful view. We hike on September 8th so we missed the flowers bloomed but the leaves started changing colors make up for it. The cave was cold so bring along jacket. The distance on my record is over 7 Miles round trip.

Beautiful hike, beautiful day. It felt like a more-than-moderate hike, however. The last pitch to the cave is steep but WORTH every step!

Awesome hike! We went on September 6th so we didn’t run into much water. It was easy to get into the cave since there was not much runoff. We started our hike around 10:30 and didn’t encounter many people until we started to make our way back. Challenging going up all the switchbacks but definitely worth it!

Awesome hike and super easy! I would recommend leaving early in the morning because the trail gets very busy during the day. Might be harder with kids but doable. The cave is cold so bring a jacket!

The cave was worth it. Lots of switch backs so trail not too steep but definitely got a workout. Great views along the way but car ride to trailhead was pretty bumpy. Tracked it at 6.8 miles.

Better than I expected - but also longer than I expected. We didn't track the mileage but I agree with all saying it had to be closer to 7 or 8 miles round trip. The cave was awesome. We didn't go very far in.

Very nice hike. Definitely more than 5.5 miles. Our Apple Watch logged in 9.2 round trip. The last stretch of the hike before you get to the cave is very strenuous. Going up to cave is really cool....some people went deeper into cave, but it isn’t necessary if you dont want to. After working up a sweat from the hike you actually get cold in the cave. Views amazing.

Definitely a great trail. Easy for folks used to elevation, moderate or challenging for tourists. Always a great run!

This is definitely NOT moderate. i would say moderate+ to hard. and it was more like 7-8 miles not 5.3. beautiful views and flowers. mostly uphill the whole way up.

7 miles is actually closer. Messing around at the cave and everything showed me at 7.5 miles by the time I stopped my watch.

This was a great hike with nice views. We ran out of water on the way up but refilled our bottles from the falls at the top. Only giving 4 stars because we went too early in order to access the caves (too much snow at the top - June 10th, 2018)

Gorgeous trail!!! One of my favorites. Blankets of wildflowers and lush greenery in July.

Beautiful hike. Lots of shade. Bring a jacket for the cave

The cave is even more impressive than you imagine. When we went, the wildflowers were stunning. Highly recommended.

As others have said, closer to 7 miles than the 5.3 stated here and elsewhere. Strongly recommend hiking poles for those going up to the cave - the last half-mile is a bit tricky. Beautiful and not crowded so well worth the drive.

Awesome !!!

Trail is challenging after an about 4 mile ride to the trailhead on an unpaved, rough road. We had 10 hikers go up to the cave and back (ages 12 - 52) and this hike from the trailhead is 8 plus miles in length round trip so the 5.3 distance is way off. This is definitely a moderate+ hike for the occasional hiker up and down with a 1700 feet elevation gain. The biting horse flys on the hike made it aggravating but did not move this down to a four star hike. Would definitely recommend this hike when in the Teton area.

Definitely a 7 Mile hike! The cave is just wonderful. This is an absolute can't-miss!

Amazing hike, stunning views and cave, though definitely longer than the advertised length— I think it’s about 7-8 miles round trip.

very fun trail, wonderful vistas

Amazing hike! Absolutely beautiful. My gps tracked it at about 7.5 miles going up into the caves(not very far in the cave). When we did the hike, all the streams were dried up, so we didn't need any kind of water shoes...guess it just depends on how much rain there's been or what time of year it is. Also, if you want to explore the cave, bring headlamps & jackets! temperature felt like it dropped 30 degrees once we got in the cave. this is one of my faves!

I was fortunate enough to be able to do this hike with a group of great ladies. it did rain on and off the whole day. We put on our rain jackets and hiked on. The clouds hung over the mountains just enough to make the mountain look like it was in a mist. The fields of flowers were amazing. The colors were so vibrant.
We tracked the round trip mileage to the cave and back closer to 7 miles.

Beautiful hike for all ages. Using the map on this app to show our location on the trail was great to show the kids how far they had made it and how much left to go was really helpful.

great trail for kids

Unbelievable hike!!! Did this yesterday with my family of five—three teenage boys. Reasonably challenging but doable for individuals that only hike periodically. Wildflowers were beautiful. Trails well-maintained. Views of the surrounding mountains, streams, and waterfall gorgeous. Last 1/2 mike challenging but worth it.

Long drive down a gravel road to get the trail head. No cell phone service on the trail so plan accordingly.

This is a great family hike. We made it all the way to the back of the wind cave with our kids (9, 6, and 3 years old) and an excited German Shepherd. Our family loved this hike with countless wild flowers, a waterfall, and the wind cave. You're supposed to keep your dog on a leash. But don't be surprised to see other people not following the rules. Our dog was one of three out of probably 30 dogs that was on a leash. A minor frustration for those of us that are constrained to following rules.

I absolutely loved this trail it’s well kept and absolutely gorgeous there are so many flowers and out look spots! And it’s not a hard hike. I would do this hike over again:)
You do need head labs and so water shoes or another pair to change into( you do have to cross some water and my feet out soaked)