Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail

Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Driggs, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2020 feet

rock climbing

cave

The trailhead is located about 20 minutes just outside the town of Driggs at the end of Darby Canyon Road. It is very easy to miss the turnoff from Highway 33. The turn off is south of the Spud Theater. When you get to the fork that goes to the girls camp, stay left.

We started the trail with no snow and by the time we made it to the cave there was about 4 inches. Such a beautiful hike and the cave is awesome! The last tenth of a mile is the toughest part but not bad; I would consider the rest of the trail to be easy.

I went on this hike twice in my life while in a church camp. Sadly I've never been to the caves, but the hike is still worth making, it has gorgeous scenery, including some breathtakingly bright, colorful wildflower patches (depending on when you go of course) and the waterfall at the end is nice as well.
Only complain I have is that I remember it being a lot less steep than it actually was

Really beautiful trail. The hike up wasn't too bad, but it was steeper than I was expecting. The climb into the windcave was really steep. Also, don't wear Chacos on this hike. There are a good amount of rocks on the trail, and I caught the front of my sandals caught multiple times

Good trail for kids about five and older. A consistent but fairly light climb, terminating with a waterfall and access to the wind caves.

++Ice Cave to Wind Cave++
Been going to the Wind Cave since I was a kid. There's an ice entrance to the cave 1 mile east of the Wind Cave entrance. Multiple ice waterfalls, goes pretty deep, and you come out the Wind cave. You'll need ropes, harnesses, crampons (ice waterfalls get SLICK), ice picks, warm clothes, and someone who's been there (with a map). It can get labyrinthine right in the middle, getting stuck figuring out where to go is bad, especially with the ice. Cave warms up the closer you get to the wind entrance (or in this case, exit), but the wind picks up too. If you have a wetsuit or wetsuit bottoms, those are handy to cross the aptly named Crotch Lake. You don't want to try punching through the cave system all the way until the ice plug has melted (a small choke point at the base of the largest ice waterfall, only clear during the warmest months of the year).

++ Wind Cave, in and out ++
You'll need a helmet. Bike helmets are fine, duct tape a headlamp to the top. Always keep 3 working sources of light on you (even if you're not using them all). One time I was in this cave and I had 2 lights fail while we were a ways in and had to carry a flashlight in my mouth to see. Glad I had it.

The floor is made of sharper rocks. Other caves, I'd say knee pads are optional, but this cave you want at least one. Gloves, long sleeved shirt (whicking material is best), long pants are all the rest that you need to have a good safe time. If you're going in, I'd recommend groups no larger than 4. The entrance is windy because the cave gets quite small at the start, which channels all the air. Tight space means slower moving, wind means drop in body temperature.

There's a pit that you'll reach in the cave with anchors for ropes. Crossing the pit is fun. You can tie a rope spanning it to speed things up on the way out. Bring harnesses for safety, the pit can be wet. I've freehanded it, but looking back, that was rather stupid. After the pit, is a section I call the Labarynth. Have a system to mark the way out as you go in so you don't get turned around too bad. This area is fun, you'll find offshoots that have more delicate formations. If in doubt, listen for the river. Follow the river out.

++ General Notes ++
I find cave expeditions work out best here when you backpack in. There are a number of sites established at the base of the cave slope, all with reasonable access to water.

Bear country, of course. Bring a bear bag, be responsible. I've seen bears up here multiple times.

Don't piss/shit in the cave. There's very little to break that down. One time, in the wind cave, I thought i discovered some kind of miracle of life. A tiny delicate mushroom on a rock. Then i realized the rock was covered in a brown liquid. It was a shit mushroom. :( Take an empty gatorade bottle and pack your shit/piss out. I named mine Mr. Peabody. Worked like a charm.

Great hike! The cave and waterfall are beautiful, as is the entire way up. I went in the cave as far as the ledge that requires rappelling gear. Make sure to have warm clothes if you want to explore in the cave - it's freezing! Also be prepared for tight squeezes and army crawling through some parts. Headlamps strongly recommended. Great experience!

This is a 10 mile hike, 5 miles to the top and 5 miles back. I thought it was more challenging than previous reviews stated, but I carried my 30lb toddler on my back. We only made it 1 1/2miles up the trail before turning around. Very pretty, but come prepared for an all day hike

Flowers were past their peak, however, there were still plenty in bloom to make the trip enjoyable all the way to the cave. my seven-year-old daughter made it with minimal complaining. I loved how many dogs were along the trail. I would recommend this trail.

Definitely worthwhile. We hiked the trail the day before the eclipse and it was very crowded. Not too steep with good views most of the way. Bring a light and an extra layer if you want to explore the cave since it's pretty cool inside.

Beautiful trail. The elevation gain was not as bad as I thought it would be. It was very crowded when we went but it was still nice.