Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail

Darby Canyon Wind Cave Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Driggs, Idaho that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2020 feet

rock climbing

cave

The trailhead is located about 20 minutes just outside the town of Driggs at the end of Darby Canyon Road. It is very easy to miss the turnoff from Highway 33. The turn off is south of the Spud Theater. When you get to the fork that goes to the girls camp, stay left.

A beautiful hike with amazing wildflowers. Hike was 7 miles round trip from the parking lot. Plan enough time to picnic at the top and enjoy the amazing mountains.

This was a beautiful hike the entire time. The cave and waterfall at the end are so worth it! It took us about 2.5 hours to hike up with some stops and about an hour down. We also found an awesome camp spot near the trailhead by a creek. Will definitely be back to explore more.

Great trail. I see why it is so highly recommend. Beautiful hike up to cave with all the meadows in bloom and the cave is awesome. It's a great way to spend 5-6 hours of your day.

Totally worth the hike up!

This was an awesome hike and I will definitely do it again. I went with my 2 teenage sons and a nephew. It took us 2.5 hours to reach the cave. We explored the cave and hung out by the waterfall for about an hour. It took us 1.5 hours to get back to our car. So plan for about 5 hours. We brought 3 16.9 oz water bottles each and we ran out. I would suggest 5 water bottles per person. The boys didn't bring sweatshirts like I did and they really wished they had. Make sure every person has a flashlight. It wasn't fun or safe in the dark cave with loose rocks without enough lighting. Don't forget your bear spray. People have seen bears walking through the beautiful meadows. Come prepared and you will have a great experience.

Very nice trail. My biggest complaint with the trail was the bugs. They were everywhere!! Biting flies, horse flies, and mosquitos galore. It was not stop even with bug spray. The hike was not that bad in elevation gain, but moderate seems about right. The annoyance of the bugs is what really made this hike not as enjoyable as I wanted it to be. We didn't make it to the top due to a storm coming our way, but the vista across the canyon from the waterfall was wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to see some soring vistas, but beware of the flies...

Took my 9 yr old 4 yr old and 2 yr old on this hike. They were definitely troopers! Made it all the way to the mouth of the cave but did have to carry the baby almost the whole way up and back to make good time.

Has anyone done the through trip from Darby Ice through the Wind Caves yet this year? I'm looking for information of water levels inside cave and condition of the fixed ropes.

Beautiful hike with lots of wildflowers and soaring vistas.

Did this trail with my 11 year old son it did not disappoint ! This trail offers everything, plenty of flat breaks, flowers, vistas, streams, waterfalls, rocks, and narrow rocky dirt trails that give thrill at the end. And just enough tough spots to keep a boy happy. Only draw back is it's not a loop and was too muddy at the end to reach the cave ..... for me. Other people did make the that last bit. Lots to see along the way and and amazing views did the whole trip with s little lunch break in just over 4 hours.