Learn more

Crazy Woman Moose Loop is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Buffalo, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October.

Length 1.6 mi Elevation gain 958 ft Route type Loop
Hiking Forest Views Wild flowers Wildlife Over grown Rocky Scramble Washed out Off trail
Description
Waypoints (0)

Users have reported that this route is unmarked and the trail disappears at some points. You'll need route-finding skills and scrambling experience to complete this trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (8)
Photos (10)
Recordings (5)
Completed (9)
Aidan Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 14, 2020
Hiking

Harrowing. That’s the best word to describe this trail. Like other people have said, the right/East fork isn’t too bad. There’s not always a visible trail but it’s not too bad bad you can kind of just make your way logically to the top. The view at the top is very pretty. The way back down, though, by the western side of the loop, is truly hellacious. Making your way across the top of the mountain is a matter of weaving your way blindly over fallen trunks. There is absolutely no sign of the trail either up top or on the western side. The map then directs you to start descending. The edge looks like a cliff and it truly is in places. I didn’t end up following the AllTrails route at ALL - by happenstance, not design - but it wasn’t any better where the map said to go. I crossed over the supposed “trail” a few times and it was no more clear or safe than anywhere else. A few people have described this slope at 45°. I would guess at something closer to 60°. It’s truly nearly vertical and made of loose scree covered with slippery grass. I spent a fair amount of this portion of the hike falling and sliding down the hillside. It seems like a lot of people are hiking this with partners (smart) but I was alone, and I was genuinely really scared the whole way down (I really wanted my mom). I thought this would be the tough bit but no, the bottom is just as bad. While less steep, there is no sign of a trail and nowhere a trail could go. This area is cross-crosses by a stream and covered with hundreds of downed trees, not to mention the living plants. By this point I was truly desperate to be done and the scramble through this was truly hellish. I had to keep checking the map every few feet to make sure I was going vaguely in the right direction (in fact, somehow this was the time I was closest to the supposed actual trail). Every time I checked my progress was distressingly minimal. Someone has blocked off this end of the trail at the bottom with a wall of rocks and they were right to do so. If you absolutely have to do this trail, do like someone else suggested and make it an out and back on the east side. This was truly probably the worst hike I’ve ever been on (and my first time using AllTrails) and I only gave it the second star for the view at the top and the good cell signal that let me send my parents a few pictures before I started my descent into hell.

View Aidan's Recording
Quinn Sawyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
Hiking

The southeastern route on the loop is fairly easy to follow, gradual grass slopes up a ridge line to the saddle. The saddle, that’s where the trail disappears. There is a trail off to the east that is part of a separate loop. When heading on the moose loop to the west though it’s more of a pick your own adventure. Great times up there in the Bighorn, slopes are moderate and open making it easy to pick your way and get back down to the road. I would rate this as moderate, not hard. There is very limited scrambling over rocks and nothing exposed. That being said the northwestern half of the loop could do with some trail markings and a few deadfall cleared to indicate the best path. If I lived in the area I would take a few more trips to moose loop and improve this trail to a 5-star.

View Quinn's Recording
Marcus Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownRocky

We went the opposite direction of the trail because it was easier to follow the trail that way. The views at the top were amazing, but we really should have gone out and back and not done the loop because the way down was an absolute mess. There’s no distinguished trail and we were essentially scaling boulders or tearing our way through overgrown bushes. We couldn’t even follow the trail on the map perfectly because it was leading us to rather dangerous situations. My girlfriend fell about 4-5 times and I slipped a couple times. We ended up fine as we’re active & in our mid 20s, but I would 100% not try this if you have any kind of injury, children or aren’t a very experienced hiker/climber. If you want to do it, definitely go out and back on the east side of the trail. Although it not as shaded, that side is exceptionally easier.

View Marcus's Recording
CAS Rockies
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 21, 2020
HikingRocky

Whoever first classified this trail as moderate must climb 14'ers regularly because this is NOT a moderate trail. Getting up this trail is a 45 degree rocky and slippy climb for the first 3/4 mile. We hit this trail because of the 'moderate' rating on it and it's our first hike of the season so we figured it would be a good start, but this is far more difficult than moderate. You slog your way up what seems like a vertical climb over loose rocks and dirt with a trail that would only be visible to an experience hiker. My wife couldn't make the trail out at all in most places, but I could if I really studied the possible routes. If you are looking for a hike that that has a few challenges, a not-to-steep grade and just a fun day hike then don't choose this one. If you like to do hardcore CrossFit for several hours every day then this might be right up your ally!

Roma Luthra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 15, 2020
First to Review

Loved the views but I could rarely find the trail which made it stressful going around. But the views are stunning so its worth it!

Eric Wiesenmeyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020
View Eric 's Recording
Kodi Merschat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2019
View Kodi's Recording