Cloud Peak is a 36.2 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Buffalo, Wyoming that features a lake. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and is primarily used for hiking and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 36.2 km Elevation Gain: 1,624 m Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

Im wondering if anyone has ever attempted to ski this descent or could put me in contact with someone who has?

WARNING THIS TRAIL IS HARD! I would not recommend doing this trailer unless your kids are 14 years or older. From the west Tensleep Trail head it is exactly 7 miles to Misty Moon Lake. We then followed us all to Lake Trail for about another mile in the send it into the valley in camp near the waterfall. The next morning we started at 6 AM to climb to the peak of Cloudpeak. We definitely underestimated how cold it was I would definitely recommend a coat hat and gloves. Your client about 700 feet then you hit a nice alpine lake and you can see the entire bowl. There are multiple carens along the route. The correct route will follow the grassy meadow up the bowl this will be your easiest way to climb the peak.You’ll send the grassy area and then you’ll be at elevation at 12,000 feet. There will be a snow field on the knife edge you should take the higher route to the left of the snow field.The last thousand feet is really tough especially if you’re not used to the high vision. However the views were worth it. Hardest hike I’ve done do not underestimate this hike if you’re a novice. We are both in pretty good shape and it took us four hours and 30 minutes from our campsite to the summit. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/joePEC9YGro Me and my 14 year old son hiked this last Saturday. We hiked into Paint Rock Creek and set up camp Friday night. We camped next to the waterfall. We started our assent the next morning at 5. There were several other tents set up in the valley but didn't seem too crowded. Mosquitoes were bad by the creek and the lakes. There was a little bit of rain right after we got past the knife's edge. The views at the summit were incredible! My only complaint is the parking at West Tensleep was completely full. People were parking on the road further down from the lot.

Very hard but worth the pain

when they say hard they mean it. it was crazy windy and cold up there. so plan for that. I coukdnt take a picture from the top as it was windy enough I about couldnt keep my balance :)

Absolutely amazing hike, probably the hardest I've ever done. Views from the top and throughout the hike are fantastic. Once you climb out of the giant cirque a few miles behind Painted Rock Falls you reach a plateau. From there keep to the right and Cloud Peak will be in view. Do not climb for the false summit visible at the top of the giant cirque. Bug spray recommended, snow was avoidable in most spots but crossable when necessary. Water is accessible during the majority of the hike but not the last approx. 2 miles up Cloud Peak. Be prepared to boulder hop at high elevation.

Hiked this yesterday. Snow was sketchy but not impassable. Watch out as the runoff doubles as the day goes by. As you start the final ascent, stay toward the center of the valley. It looks like you will have a more gradual slope if you take the east side of the ridge, but the boulder hopping will cost you tons of energy. The moose are out in full force, and the mosquitoes are thick.

My partner and I did 13 miles of this trail yesterday. It looks like the peak is still quite snowy but the portion we did was beautiful. We saw moose and marmots. Be mindful that there is a stream crossing that was a bit strong but manageable and you will absolutely need insect repellant.

Wed Dec 12 2018

awesome

Tue Aug 28 2018

Summitted on August 26 2018 views from the top are definitely worth the sore legs. Make sure to bring warm clothes wind was bitter cold at the top.

Sun Jul 29 2018

AMAZING!!

Wed Jul 11 2018

amazing hike, a bit longer than described, nearly 3miles of boulder hoping to reach summit. views from summit were unbeatable.

Wed Jul 11 2018

Great trail. Not too difficult until you get to the base on the mountain and then it gets a little more challenging. Bugs were terrible in July. Bring bugs spray and nets.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Beautiful conditions in Cloud Peak wilderness on 6 July 2018. Since I had the dog with me, we avoided all snow since we were postholing at 6am. Allow ample time to allow route finding since the ridge is mostly unmarked (I might have missed some cairns by switchbacking round snow) and to get off the long, boulder ridge because storms roll in early. Go get it!

Wed Jun 27 2018

Great scenic hike with extraordinary veiws and few people.

Mon Jun 11 2018

A lot of boulder hopping