Clay Butte Lookout

Clay Butte Lookout is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cody, Wyoming that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and walking.

Fantastic views. Easy hike over dirt road. Very secluded in late June. Road still not open to auto traffic, but great for a hike! Be careful in grizzly country - some "remnants" apparent along the trail.

scenic driving

This is not a hike, it is a road. It is a dirt road though. This is one of the most beautiful roads I have ever been on. I recommend this road to anyone visiting the beartooths. I cannot stress that enough. The view is breathtaking

Monday, August 24, 2015

Monday, August 24, 2015

Well worth the hike for the many spectacular views that you will see!!! My husband and I hiked just over 30 miles in 3 days. We started by backpacking up to Lake Elaine and camped there our first night. Absolutely amazing view!!! We saw probably 8-10 lakes throughout our hike. The evenings/mornings were a little chilly but with good camping gear we stayed warm at night. We did about half of our trip on trail and half off trail. I would recommend a good GPS to explore some of the off trail stuff like we did. Plus with a good GPS we were able to tell when we were in Montana and able to fish which was very helpful. Over all total we hiked almost 6,000 vertical feet...we did it without a lot of stopping but are in pretty good shape. I would highly recommend this to someone who wants a good workout and a wonderful view!!!! :)

Saturday, June 27, 2015