Cirque of the Towers Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(93)
Bridger Wilderness

Cirque of the Towers Trail is a 18 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and backpacking and is best used from August until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 18.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,726 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Pinedale, drive south on Hwy 191. At Boulder, turn left on Hwy 353 and drive 18 miles to the end of the pavement. Shorty after the pavement ends, go straight through the junction, and drive south crossing the Big Sandy River (Buckskin Crossing). At next junction, turn left (east) and drive 7 miles. Turn left at the following jct and follow the main road to the Big Sandy Campground and trailhead. This trailhead is remote, so be sure to have a full tank of gas.

Does anyone know if this trail is still open with COVID?

Does anyone know if you need a permit to hike this and camp? If you know my email is nottkaleb1106@yahoo.com

It will knock your socks RIGHT OFF. Then how will you cope? Sometimes this place looks like a Peter Jackson movie set. Minus the hobbits... unless your now sockless feet are hairy.

Made it no problem to TH in the low clearance car. No bugs to speak of since there was frost on the ground and it had snowed a good amount the day before I went (around 8" was on the ground above arrowhead lake) but was melting fast. However that did make things a bit slushy and muddy past Big Sandy Lake. Overall a wonderful hike from start to finish, you can't seem to go wrong hiking in the Wind River range.

very amazing but heavily trafficked the back side by dad lake and Texas lake were amazing, worth making a loop out of it even with monstrous Texas pass.

Hiked this trail last week. Absolutely gorgeous country. Spent one night at Big Sandy before heading up to the Cirque. Saw a Grizzly near the waterfall in the southwest corner of the Cirque. He came within about 20-30 yards before wandering off. Spent the second night up at Black Joe Lake. The Wind River range is a pretty incredible place.

Amazing trail to Cirque of the Towers. Set up camp at big Sandy lake and did a day trip to the Cirque/jackass pass. Absolutely stunning. Bugs are bad at night and morning but not during the day. Totally worth it.

Just finished this trail, and it was unbelievable! We did this hike as an in and out. We camped two nights near Big Sandy Lake, and day hiked to the Cirque. I’m glad we camped where we did because the elevation really picks up after the first lake, and from arrowhead lake to the Cirque, it’s a rocky scramble. Mosquitos weren’t bad at all. Didn’t really even need deet. No bears seen, but there is a black bear that has been approaching occupied camps near Big Sandy Lake! Important to properly store food, and carry bear spray. Would love to come back and do a loop!

Epic views

Very little snow. Lots of hungry fish and mosquitoes. Amazing scenery. Set up base camp at Big Sandy and then ventured up into the Cirque one day and then did the temple lake loop the next.

The Wind River Range is truly an amazing backpacking area with epic scenery. I did hiked this trail as part of a ~45 mile loop around the Cirque of the Towers range. Here is a trip report with maps of the route and pictures of the trail: https://backpackers-review.com/trip-reports/cirque-of-the-towers-wind-river/

iconic views. saw 1 bear near Lonesome lake. minimal snow.

We just finished this trail half an hour ago. Instead of stopping at the cirque, we kept going over Jackass pass and down to Lonesome lake. There is a waterfall you can see from a little down the pass and it is a good destination to see the water flowing over a granite slab. It made a nice dinner spot. We were worried about the mosquitos from other reports we read, so our clothes got treated with permethrin and we used deet. I only got bit a couple of times, and those were on our third day up there. Also, the mosquitos are kind of slow and lazy compared to the small fast ones we are used to around Tooele Utah. The cirque was amazing, and the whole trail was great. it has a little bit of everything from flat trail near the river, long climbs and passes, and a bit of bouldering, especially if you go down to arrowhead lake instead of taking the east trail up above the lake. I will go again someday and take my kids. This was our 24th wedding anniversary so it was just the two of us on this hike. We saw lots of dogs doing the trail and some horses that weren't going all the way to the cirque. I don't even know if they could with the rocky terrain past that point. We walked out in one day and it took us middle aged folks from about 8am to 3:30 PM. According to the step counter on my fitbit, it was about 11 miles one way from Lonesome Lake to the Big Sandy Trailhead. I am blogging more details and pictures along with a YouTube video I'll post when we are back. We've got some more adventuring to do this week first. ;) www.tgitrailtime.wordpress.com www.youtube.com/tgitrailtime www.facebook.com/tgitrailtime instagram: @tgitrailtime

I turned this into a loop, leaving from Big Sandy Trailhead going up past Dad's Lake, then over Texas Pass to Lonesome Lake, then over Jackass Pass and back down to the trailhead via Big Sandy Lake, for a total of 25 miles. It was a long run with plenty of climbing over the two passes, but it was one of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done. There were a lot of mosquitoes near Texas Pass, but compared to Yellowstone this was a dream. Didn't see too many people given high season, and got face-to-face with a moose near Lonesome Lake. It was pretty wet near Lonesome Lake, so some of the trails were washed out, and there was still snow on the passes covering some trails as well. I had to bust out the map and compass just to be sure. Would have loved to turn this into a multi-day backpacking trip, will be back for sure.

Incredible hike. I did this as a loop going clockwise toward shadow lake, into the Cirque and back to big sandy. The trail is muddy in spots, and snow covered once you get from the shadow lake area, go Texas Pass and Into Jackass Pass. Creeks are pretty high, too. Just a heads up to plan before you go. The bugs are unreal. You try to rest for a minute and there are dozens of mosquitoes swarming you. Don’t let this turn you away though. I prepped my hiking clothes with the Sawyer insect repellent and got bug spray to go over everything as well. I only have a few mosquito bites. Take a hat with netting. Enjoy!