New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Cedar Basin Trail

Cedar Basin Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Thayne, Wyoming that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,774 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pretty good hike. First time going. Didn't go all the way. Maybe 3 miles in. First 3/4 mile was relatively easy. From then on it was hiking upwards continuously. Trails were muddy in spots from melting snow. We were the only people out there, so definitely not a heavy use trail. Seemed more like it was used as a horseback hunting trail, but the first part was really nice walking alongside the creek.

We found this hike in a book which said 3.5 miles to Cedar Basin, 4.5 miles to lake so I figured it was 4.5 to the lake! Nope. The first 3.5 miles are moderate and then it starts climbing and climbing. By the time we reached 5 miles and 2400 feet of elevation gain, I was done. 10 miles is a lot for me. We never found the lake. After the first 4.5 miles, the trail gets kinda dicey and you have to follow the rock cairns.

Absolutely beautiful. I didn’t have time to go the whole way but it didn’t seem too hard from what I did. I’d highly recommend it.

Not a bad hike to the basin. I wouldn't rate it as hard, just the more difficult side of moderate.

Bears and Mountain Lions spotted. Make sure to bring protection.

Tue Aug 21 2018