Cascade Canyon Trail

Cascade Canyon Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Beaver Creek, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

TEMPORARY CLOSURE 2018: The path to Inspiration Point that connects to the Cascade Canyon trail is currently closed. There will be no through trail from Hidden Falls and Lower Inspiration Point into Cascade Canyon during the summer of 2018. Visitors can still enjoy Lower Inspiration Point during construction. Parking at South Jenny Lake is extremely limited during the 2018 summer season. Plan on arriving early, before 9:00 am, or plan to visit late in the day, after 4:00 pm to have the best chance of finding a parking space. This is an unbelievable hike up into the base of the Grand Tetons via a boat ride across Jenny Lake. This hike will bring you deep into the Teton Mountain Range. This popular hike will start from the shore of the lake and take you up to the 200 foot tall Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point which provides great views out over the National Park. Most people will stop at this point but this guide will take you a little further up into Cascade Canyon where you might spot a moose or two before heading back for the boat return across Jenny Lake.

I did this hike last Friday (8/10) with two of my best friends and it was absolutely incredible!

We started our trek around 11:30 am and completed it around 4:30 pm. We did spend close to 30 minutes having lunch down by the creek, and probably could have cut off an additional 30 min. if we weren't caught behind some slow-moving "tourists" upon our return to the trailhead.

There are two ways to reach the trail, one of which being taking the ferry across Jenny Lake, which we did, but will run you $15 per person for a round-trip ticket. It runs approximately every 15 minutes. You can also take the 2-mile trail around the perimeter of the lake to reach the trailhead, which we decided against because of the longevity of our hike.

Having said that, after you get to the actual trail for this trek, it is pretty free of families and novice hikers. Most of the elevation gain for this particular hike is in the first mile to mile and a half. And once you reach the end of that gain, the valley opens up and you are surrounded by towering peaks on each side, which is pretty spectacular.

Shortly after the trail opened up we saw a black bear rummaging around in the creek about 20 yards away from where we saw a female moose sunbathing that certainly made our day.

This is a decently challenging hike, primarily because of the 9-miles round-trip and 1,000-feet of elevation gain. However, it is absolutely worth every step, and if I were to return I would make a backpacking adventure out of our next journey, as this trail leads to many other amazing trais when it forks at the end!

Note: The trek outlined in the trail map is currently closed and you will need to take the alternate route to the trail. When you get off the boat dock just head to your right and you will run into the sign for the trailhead on your left, which is about 100 yards down the trail that loops around Jenny Lake.

Hiked on 8/8/2018; Inspiration Point and Hidden Falls were closed due to rockfall threat, but hikers could still access the trail into the valley using the horse route. For us, this trail was a beautiful introduction to the Grand Teton park. We took the Jenny Lake ferry to reach the trailhead on the western side of the lake; just around the first bend of the trail, we found a group of hikers and a ranger excitedly viewing a young black bear foraging in the bushes about 25 yards away (and thankfully moving away from us). Farther up the path, a family taught us how to identify the huckleberries that were growing plentifully by the trail; they were delicious! We saw a moose adult and child drinking and wading in pools in the valley (about 30 yards from the trail). We spotted pika in the boulder fields and plenty of chipmunks and squirrels throughout the hike. This trail offers a delightfully varied landscape, beautiful flowers, and plenty of wildlife to enjoy!

Long story short, my girlfriend wanted to go on a hike and I didn’t want to go on a hike, so we compromised and went on a hike. The first 1.2 miles are steep but over quickly, we made it to the trail marker saying that the fork was 3.3 miles and it was mostly a walk from there. There were three or four water falls on the mountain to the right when you could see through the woods. I got tired about 4 miles in and she lied to me and said there was a vendor selling Gatorade at the end. There was no Gatorade and I did a 9 mile hike.

Top 3 best hikes I’ve done! We took a shuttle boat to the trail head. The first mile or so is all uphill and heavily trafficked but once you make it to the canyon it’s a steady hike with amazing views of waterfalls, cascades and the mountain side! We saw a grizzly bear about 30 yards munching on some berries and two moose in the marsh!

Fantastic trail. If you don't want to pay for the ferry, you can park at String Lake and hike just 1.7 miles to the trailhead, saving 2.2 miles vs the hike from the Jenny Lake trailhead. once you complete the initial switchbacks which are somewhat strenuous, the remainder of the trail is a gradual climb up the canyon. Even if you can't complete the full trail, don't stop at the trail junction at the top of the switchbacks. One further mile into the canyon opens up views and vistas you don't want to miss. I had the luck to see two moose across the creek and encounter zero bears. Do being bear spray and hike in a group.

This hike is absolutely incredible. The detour makes the hike more like 14 miles. The view and wildflowers are amazing. Would also recommend swimming in Lake Solitude. We saw 4 moose just on this hike. Its a must.

We absolutely loved this hike! Took us about 5 hours in total, we went just past the fork at the end to picnic a bit closer to the falls. We saw a black bear near the start, and the views throughout this hike were simply unreal... At one point, my 17 yr old son squealed with joy at the views near the creek.. One of the definite highlights of our Grand Teton/ Yellowstone trip, highly recommended! Definitely recommend an early start: we took an 8 am boat crossing, and had the trail mostly to ourselves. On our way back, the trail was PACKED and it was a completely different experience.

A wonderful day hike. Start early to avoid too many hikers. A steep initial climb leads to gentle upward canyon walk. Most often you will see moose, pica and lots of wildflowers.
Our family’s favorite hike

One of the most favorite trails in United States. I went there in June. There are many falls beside the canyon generated by melt snow. In the end you can see a beautiful large fall.

Good family day hike but very busy. Lots to see along the trail. I did the hike July 17, 2018 and don't feel the bugs were bad at all. I didn't put on bug spray, just kept a decent pace and they didn't seem to land on me. Some of the reviews suggesting stopping early, but I really think that all of the different landscapes are worth the hike. To stop early is only to spend more time in shops or restaurants and that's not what I'm here for. the end of this trail isn't really a "grand finale" type of finish but beautiful and worth the extra steps to see the cascades at the fork. If you're looking for something spectacular, go on to one of the other trails at the fork.

Gorgeous trail. We would have gone to solitude trail but we started off bit late and had to catch the shuttle back. There is creek flowing all along and the views are gorgeous! The trail is moderate but most of the elevation is at the beginning after which it is a straight path. We stopped at the fork for the lunch by the flowing stream which was turquoise ! I also did see raspberries growing on near the trail. Loved it. Will do this again !

Great hike! Saw a moose in the beginning of the trail up close. Beautiful views. Two black bears ran across the trail toward the upper portion of the trail. Amazing place.

This is a favorite while in the park. The cascades are a nice stop for lunch. Saw grade school aged kids on the trail enjoying themselves. Very busy

Awesome! Saw a big moose! Highly recommend:)

Awesome hike!!!! Beautiful alpine views! Great swimming holes too!!

Not sure what some reviewers expect out of a hike, because this one has everything: mountain vistas, cascading stream, crystal clear waters, large wildlife (moose, bears, deer), abundant flowers, birds, and a relatively easy trail. I’ve done this hike 7-8 times and it never fails to amaze me. The trail eventually reaches the fork (south fork to Schoolroom Glacier and Hurricane Pass, north fork to Lake Solitude), which makes for a good turnaround spot. I would recommend a short hike up the north fork to see the Cathedral Group (Grand, Teewinot, and Owen) from the north. It’s an amazing view!

Starts with forest then lake views. Saw juvenile grizzly in the berry bushes. Then stunning canyon with tetons on each side. Beautiful waterfalls and river with two bull moose and lots of pikas.

I feel bad giving this three stars, because I think it’s probably worth more than that, but I think it’s a little overrated personally.
I’ll start out by saying that it has some absolutely beautiful scenery, don’t get me wrong at all, but given some of the reviews, I was expecting a little more I think; I was also hoping for something at the end of the trail, but it was literally just a fork to continue onto other trails. I should have researched it better as I’m sure I could have found that myself haha but I would recommend not doing the full thing if you aren’t going to continue onto another trail, as there are no sweeping views and it’s shrouded in forest for a lot of the last part so the views are a little covered.
Another downer was the fact that there were bugs... everywhere!! Like everywhere! Definitely wear bug spray - there were more flies (and other weird black bugs that stay on your skin?!) than I’ve ever experienced on any other hike in my life! I don’t mind mosquitos and flies around as it’s obviously the wilderness and you expect that, but this was a whole new level hahah.

The first mile is tough but after that it barely climbs at all. Despite my lower rating, I think it’s a great trail people should check out - but I’d recommend only going to the first waterfall coming from the peak, or where there’s a bit of a break at the creek. Beautiful photo opportunities there. I also saw a moose in the river which was exciting :)

Starts out pretty steep but wide enough and not too hard to walk up. Once you get to the creek it’s a nice spot to stop and wet down your arms and neck to cool off in the summer. From that point on it is very mellow. Gets a little narrow in some spots with vegetation encroaching on the trail but for the most part the trees and foliage provide a nice amount of shade. I only made it about 5 miles in before turning around to catch the shuttle back. Several great canyon clearings and heading the roar of the cascades as you approach the louder sections is a great motivator.

I could imagine it being a pain to come back down the steep part if it is crowded with people coming up from the shuttle. As long as you track your progress and keep time it seemed nice to go out later in the day and catch one of the shuttles going back around 6pm (last one was at 7pm) but don’t cut it too close unless you’re prepared to hike a couple hours back to the visitor center without taking the boat.

Took my wife and two boys (7+9) up the cascade canyon trail to the big waterfall- seemed like about 4 miles in one way. Took the Jenny lake ferry - $45 for 2 adults/2 kids, round trip. 10 min boat trip, every 15 min or so. Holds 40 people. You can skip the ferry, but 2.5 mi hike. Last ferry leaves 7pm. The hiking took about 5 hrs round trip, lots of breaks and lunch. Weather sunny, low 80’s. Mosquitoes in the shaded areas, but not bad. The first mile is tough uphill climb, but levels off after that. Used about 6 quarts of water/drink w 4 of us. The creek the trail follows is absolutely gorgeous! You can put your feet in it roughly halfway up the trail. Boys were very tired at the end. Jenny lake is beautiful against the mountains. There is a small boat ramp to the left of the main ramp, about 1/4 mike hike away where you can park also.

Did this trail a couple weeks ago! Was my first trail I had ever done at Grand Teton and I'll tell you this is gorgeous. Do yourself a favor and hike the full length of the trail to the sign at the end! But keep in mind that the trail is long. I started at the string lake trail head so this trail was around 12 miles round trip. The beginning is a little tough. A small speed bump if you will. But once you get up into the canyon your crushing it for days man. It's a cruise the sights are awesome aqua blue river with the teton range on both sides of you. One of my favorite hikes to date! If you are going to Grand Teton NP make this your top on your to do list!!!

Didn’t do nearly all of this one. Just a mile in to the small waterfall. Challenging climb up though from the Jenny lake trail.

Done this hike 3 times already and it never fails to take my breath away. Stunning from the boat ride across Jenny Lake to Inspiration Point to the marshes surrounding Cascade Creek. Every time we have seen at least one moose, the most recent time it was a bull that stepped out onto the trail ahead of us and walked along it for a while, very cool but also a little scary. Incredible panoramic views no matter what part of the trail you're on. By far my favorite hike in the park!

Awesome trail! A little rough uphill at the beginning. In all its a moderate hike not bad at all. My 7 and 10 y.o. were able to complete with no problems. 5-10 minute hike after the cascade is some swimming holes. If you are brave take a dip but it’s freezing.

Awesome hike with incredible views the entire time. I would however rank this hike as easy to moderate. The first section of the hike is a bit uphill but it flattens out shortly after the initial elevation gain. Keep your eyes open for wildlife!

This is by far one of my most favorite hikes that I've ever done. Did this on June 30th and the abundance of wildflowers, wildlife, cascades, waterfalls, and different sceneries were utterly breathtaking.

We took the shuttle across. Hiked to hidden falls then back to the old horse trail (the trail you have to use to hike cascade canyon this summer due to construction at inspiration point.), then had a grand 'ol time! We saw one pretty big black bear that was no more than 20 feet from the actual trail, a HUGE bull moose hanging out at the fork leading into solitude lake, and a ton of marmots, pikas and other adorable critters. We clocked a little over 13 miles from just hiking from hidden falls back down to the old horse trail and all the way to the fork. We ended up hiking the extra 2.5 miles back to the Jenny Lake parking lot instead of getting a round trip on the shuttle. Please do yourself a favor and do this hike if you plan on visiting the Grand Tetons.

(This hike is moderate if you're used to inclines. It also is not that heavily trafficked. The crowds thin out after the first mile-mile and a half. Go early and you'll have it to yourself!)

Not a difficult trail to hike or navigate, unsure why this is graded so steeply. Great views, always worth it to head up to Solitude.

This trail is definitely not hard, it should be marked between easy and moderate. The first mile of the trail you are uphill the whole time and that’s the hardest part once that is over you level off for the rest of the trail and is very easy. Pretty crowded, and would say is pretty overrated, if you finish this hike at the top go to solitude Lake you will be much more impressed and satisfied.

This hike is a must do!!! We took the shuttle across Jenny Lake and hiked to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point first. Unfortunately the trail was partially closed so we weren’t able to connect directly to the trail to Cascade Canyon, and this added a bit of mileage to our day since we had to go all the way back to where the ferry dropped us off to begin. The first part of the Cascade Canyon trail is HARD! We had to stop frequently to catch our breath. Once we got past the forest section, it was pretty easy going. We saw two moose close to the end of the trail! I would definitely hike this trail again!

Great trail. Ferried across Jenny Lake first and started the 9 mike round trip hike to the Cascade Canyon fork. About a mile of incline at first but smoothed out after that. Amazing views of the canyon. I was lucky enough to catch a moose and her calf feeding on this hike.