Cascade Canyon Trail

Cascade Canyon Trail is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Jackson, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

This is an unbelievable hike up into the base of the Grand Tetons via a boat ride across Jenny Lake. This hike will bring you deep into the Teton Mountain Range. This popular hike will start from the shore of the lake and take you up to the 200 foot tall Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point which provides great views out over the National Park. Most people will stop at this point but this guide will take you a little further up into Cascade Canyon where you might spot a moose or two before heading back for the boat return across Jenny Lake.

The main trail was closed to a point, but the horse trail allowed us access about one mile up. It was lovely and we saw a moose and my husbands old boss surprisingly.

A great trail with beautiful scenery throughout the entire hike. As everyone has stated, the first mile was pretty tough but after that it leveled out and it was very enjoyable. The best views are on the way to the end of the trailhead so make sure you stop and enjoy the views. We saw about 4 moose and the bugs weren't too bad. We got caught in a storm but it wasn't that bad because there were lots of covered areas for shelter.

Love this hike. Some bugs so def spray up. My 5* however is for the canyon itself. It's awesome. First mile up is strenuous and then the balance is only slight incline. Saw 2-3 moose!

Awesome hiking through the canyon. Spotted a moose having lunch down near the river. Several beautiful waterfalls. Highly recommend.

Best hike I have ever done! Every aspect of the trail is absolutely breathtaking.

Excellent hike. This shows that it is a 9.2 mike hike in, however, there is a 2 mike hike to the trailhead. There is a Ferry from the Jenny Lake Information Center that eliminates the 2 mike initial hike. Cost is $15 roundtrip or $9 one way.

Beautiful waterfalls. Saw four moose too.

This trail has just the right combination of hard and easy. The trail markers don't reflect the trails that are closed and a lot of them are connector trails to other trails. The Jenny Lake visitors center does fill up really fast because major renovations are being made to the visitors center. The string lake trail head is another possibility, but it fills up fast too. If you really want to get sneaky about you could park at the Jenny Lake overlook and hike down to the Jenny Lake visitors center.
As for the trail itself, there's no avalanche damage like on the paintbrush canyon trail but there is a lot of snow above 8,000 feet. It's passable but it really slows you down. I only went as far as Lake Solitude which was completely frozen over. I think you could probably get up to the divide, but not all the way across to paintbrush which really wouldn't make sense because the avalanche damage on paintbrush wouldn't allow you to complete the loop. The snow on cascade should continue to improve, but the damage to paintbrush may take years to repair.

With heat not being a factor (only high 70s!), I decided to do this as an afternoon hike to gain some solitude on the return. On the advice of a park ranger at the visitor's center, I parked/started at String Lake instead of the mobbed Jenny Lake. This also meant I wasn't beholden to the Jenny Lake boat schedule that runs 7am-7pm, but did add a couple miles to the hike. Do get a map at the visitor's center as this trail has two sections that are closed, making the AllTrails map inaccurate.

This is a gorgeous trek, perfect for water lovers, with a lake, creek, river, or falls always at your side. Wildflowers are abundant too. But my favorite part was the wildlife sightings! I got to see a sunning marmot, momma moose and her baby, deer, chipmunks, and a snake (okay, I wasn't too thrilled about that one). Other hikers also saw a bear beyond the fork, where I made my turnaround. Speaking of fellow hikers... I encountered the nicest and the most courteous people I've ever met on a trail. Tons of smiles, willing sidesteps to pass, and everyone was eager to direct me to any wildlife they had seen up the trail. If you're looking to save .6 miles, skip Inspiration Point. It's a nice view of Jenny Lake, but nothing as exceptional as its name suggests. Hiking poles aren't really necessary; only if you want them for the 2+ miles of real steepness -- or to poke a bear, although the park ranger I met on the trail suggests throwing rocks instead. Potato, potato.

Amazing hike. Take the boat across Jenny Lake and save some time to get to the good stuff. The first part is where all the elevation gain is, but it's not bad. Every time I've done this trail I've seen moose and/or bears. The scenery changes throughout this hike so you see a lot. Go to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point while you're in the area. They are both quick tangents.

It is not a hard trail as depicted. Most of it is flat. The canyon views are great, and I saw a moose, a marmot, and a deer. The waterfall is nice too.