Learn more

Bridger-Teton Summit Lake Loop is a 39.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinedale, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 39.7 mi Elevation gain 7,168 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

This is a multi-day trip for those wanting an extended loop trip with many lakes. The trail drops 1,600 ft from the Elkhart Park Trail-head then climbs to 10,600 ft at a pass above Elbow Lake. Then mostly descends passing Jean Lakes, Island Lake then Seneca Lakes. Be sure to stop at Big Water Slide just before the bridge at Freemont Crossings. You will pass several other small lakes before arriving back at Elkhart Park.

This trailhead offers two large parking areas, corrals, potable water, toilet facilities and a visitor information center. The trailhead is adjacent to the Trails End Campground. Access is provided to the Pole Creek Trail, Seneca Lake Trail, Sweeney Lake Trail and the Pine Creek Canyon Trail

Pinedale Ranger District 29 East Fremont Lake Rd. P.O. Box 220 Pinedale, WY 82941 307-367-4326 Fax: 307-367-5750

This trailhead is located about 1 mile south and high above the upper end of Fremont Lake. To reach the trailhead from Pinedale, drive to the east side of town and turn northeast onto the Fremont Lake road, passing the Pinedale Ranger District Office. Continue straight on the main road, avoid turning on to the Fremont Lake campground road, passing the National Forest boundary in about 4 miles. The road passes Halfmoon Lake and White Pine Ski Area before arriving at the trailhead, 16 miles from Pinedale.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (3)
Photos (3)
Recordings (0)
Completed (6)
Ginger Kiyomoto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOver grownSnowWashed out

I just completed the loop 07/20/19 with my dog. The first 2 miles are easy down hill and you will end up at a small lake. Between mile 2-4 as you are climbing back up, you will lose the trail. There are downed trees and branches and lots of bushes. If you are willing to climb and scramble, use the AllTrails map to get yourself back on trail after navigating over some of the debris and eventually you will find the trail. If you have not given up, the views will amaze you.I continued on the adventure. There is a lot is water and mud out there on the trail. You will notice people have navigated around if possible. There are ALOT of stream crossings, I would guess at least 20. Most are easy. There are a couple of difficult crossings. I was able to get across safely with the aid of my trekking pole, all but one. One stream crossing around mile 30, I fell and would not have made it across if not for a group of hikers (so please be careful ... I am also pretty tiny so not much to hold me down with the current flowing). Luckily the last 10 miles were pretty easy so I was able to warm up after falling in and enjoyed the view. There is snow in some places. Crampons or microspikes are not necessary as the sections are really not long enough. Beware thou because the snow is melting and you may fall thru. Occasionally I did lose the trail, but the AllTrails map did a really good job keeping me on trail. The views were absolutely amazing. I took tons of pictures, but none of them could capture what I was all around me. I saw some working cowboys with their horses making a meal over a campfire (so neat for a person from CA!), and working mule packs on there trail. I also ran into a bunch of groups of young people on month long adventures. Never too many people, just enough so I felt that of something happened to me I would not be left out there alone. We completed the trail in two and a half days. I would have stayed longer, but I was getting eaten alive by the billions (yes, I counted!) of mosquitos.

Breck Tuttle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2013
Backpacking

This is a great extended loop trail to see a lot of different country. It has it all, large rivers, lots of lakes and many mountain views. There are lot of ups and downs. If you go early in the year the chances are good that you will have to cross some snow.

Breck Tuttle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 1989
First to Review

Hiked the entire trail but on two separate backpack trips. Amazing area