Big Sandy Lake via Big Sandy Trail is a 10.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Pinedale: Follow Hwy. 191 south to Hwy. 353. Follow east to Big Sandy Road and follow signs to the trailhead which is a total of 60 miles from Pinedale.

We completed this as a day hike. It is very flat to the lake the whole way. We had to double check we were at the correct lake because we completed it so quickly. Beautiful streams and forest along the way. I made a video of the hike if anyone is interested: https://practicalvagabonds.com/big-sandy-lake-wyoming/

Great Labor Day hike; tons of friendly people!

The walk to Big Sandy Lake is flat and beautiful. Really a hike you could do with anyone at any age, it’s just a long six miles. Everything beyond Big Sandy Lake will be straight up so the walk in being flat moves quickly and not very strenuous! Big Sandy Lake makes a great base camp of you wanted to break up your trek to the Cirque or East Temple. Lots of people, lots of wildflowers, some bugs!

Mosquitoes not bad. LOTS of people on the trail as we hiked out Saturday and the lot was overflow. But a great place to spend the week.

Parking lot was jam packed. Trail was great. Camping was beautiful. We stayed on the south side near between both lakes.

The parking lot was overflowing, and the trail was moderately crowded. I enjoyed the views of the river that runs adjacent the trail. We camped on the southwest side of Big Sandy Lake where the outlet flows into the adjacent lake. Beautiful spot. Mosquitoes weren't as bad as expected. Big Sandy is a great place to base camp with several day hike options. I'll be back!

Loved every moment of it

A favorite place to hike into, then take day hikes out each day to many spots. Although the trail is heavily used, it never seemed out of control. We would encounter 1-2 groups only on each trip and briefly.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

An amazingly beautiful place. There are many trails that branch off from the big sandy trail after 6 miles. We did a 2 night 3 day loop. We hiked passed big sandy lake and clear lake the first day, camping near clear lake on the giant rock slabs. The next day we passed deep lake and temple lake, looping around we camped near rapid creek the second night. This is a loop that connects back to big sandy lake. I think most people don't realize u can loop around as many of the people we met had gone on the same path to deep lake and back. We passed many hikers on the way to deep lake but saw no one the second day hiking near rapid creek. The different scenery of mountains, lakes, meadows, and creeks were amazing. The total loop was around 24 miles.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Easy trail to a beautiful lake. camped 4 nights and day hiked to three amazing areas, Cirque of the Towers, Black Joe Lake and then Temple lake. Make sure that you give yourself time to explore off trail

Sunday, September 02, 2012

I love this trail. I have not complete the WHOLE trail, but only anout 6-7 miles of it. Never have had the time or money to do the whole trail. When I was young my dad would take me every summer til the end of high school. That was considered "my backyard" in a way. The fishing was great and camping was always the thing for us. There are some parts of this trail that are pretty demanding I could say, requiring a lot of muscle use and had to make some stops as we went on this trail. Went to Big Sandy Lake, Meek's Lake (steep going one way, flat from the other side), Clear Lake, and there are a few good fishing spots on the river along the this trail. I still go there when I can and still enjoy it no matter what I am doing.

Friday, September 01, 2017