Big Sandy Lake

Big Sandy Lake is a 11 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Wyoming that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Directions from Pinedale: Follow Hwy. 191 south to Hwy. 353. Follow east to Big Sandy Road and follow signs to the trailhead which is a total of 60 miles from Pinedale.

An amazingly beautiful place. There are many trails that branch off from the big sandy trail after 6 miles. We did a 2 night 3 day loop. We hiked passed big sandy lake and clear lake the first day, camping near clear lake on the giant rock slabs. The next day we passed deep lake and temple lake, looping around we camped near rapid creek the second night. This is a loop that connects back to big sandy lake. I think most people don't realize u can loop around as many of the people we met had gone on the same path to deep lake and back. We passed many hikers on the way to deep lake but saw no one the second day hiking near rapid creek. The different scenery of mountains, lakes, meadows, and creeks were amazing. The total loop was around 24 miles.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday, August 19, 2013

Easy trail to a beautiful lake. camped 4 nights and day hiked to three amazing areas, Cirque of the Towers, Black Joe Lake and then Temple lake. Make sure that you give yourself time to explore off trail

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Sunday, September 02, 2012

I love this trail. I have not complete the WHOLE trail, but only anout 6-7 miles of it. Never have had the time or money to do the whole trail. When I was young my dad would take me every summer til the end of high school. That was considered "my backyard" in a way. The fishing was great and camping was always the thing for us. There are some parts of this trail that are pretty demanding I could say, requiring a lot of muscle use and had to make some stops as we went on this trail. Went to Big Sandy Lake, Meek's Lake (steep going one way, flat from the other side), Clear Lake, and there are a few good fishing spots on the river along the this trail. I still go there when I can and still enjoy it no matter what I am doing.