Beauty Lake Trail

Beauty Lake Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cody, Wyoming that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and fishing.

This is a nice and easy trail that starts up at the top of the Beartooth Pass so you even get nice views on the drive to the trail itself. The trail starts at a campground and follows around a lake. It does cross a stream where you have to rock hop across - just a warning you might get your feet wet! Hiking poles help greatly, especially with a pack on, and you'll probably want to bring an extra change of socks. After the stream crossing you then head up into a meadow. About 2/3 of the way to Beauty Lake you see a river to your right, with a cool waterfall coming down some rock cliffs on the other side. After a while, you come up to a fork in the path and you have to decide whether you want to go to Beauty Lake or Becker Lake. Once you are close to the lake, you will descend quite a ways to get to the lake shore. The views from the shore make it all worth it. Walking back up the trail to the meadow is the most difficult part of the hike.

Nice place, easy to find, easy trail, nice lakes... but just kind of bla in my opinion. great for beginners or families but if your looking for wow this place just doesn't have it... I really enjoyed the drive, beartooth pass saved the whole trip for me. overall good just not great :-) oh and "beauty" lake, kind of had my hopes up with the name... and honestly I was a little disappointed, loved all the different kinds of mushrooms though very neat

Trail was very nice. Was very confused at the beginning. There are two trails that start at the same place or something. Not very clear on the actual start of the beauty lake trail. We started off on the only trail we could see and there were no indications on trail names when we got there. We hiked half - quarter mile and looked on all trail and the gps said we were off course. We ended up just cutting across through the trees and using the gps to hook up with the actual Beauty lake trail. Once we got on track it was wonderful. Uphill most of the way. On our way back we stopped at crane lake which is a quarter mile before beauty lake. We enjoyed crane lake more then beauty lake. There is a river crossing at the very beginning of the trail and we took our shoes of and crossed. Water was knee deep I would say. Very cold but lots of fun.

Nice fun little hike took my wife and kid who was almost three at the time in with me

Friday, August 26, 2016

Saturday, April 25, 2015

This is a nice and easy trail that starts up at the top of the Beartooth Pass so you even get nice views on the drive to the trail itself. The trail starts at a campground and follows around a lake (not sure the name). It does cross a stream where you have to rock hop across - just a warning you might get your feet wet! Hiking poles would have helped greatly, especially with a pack on. Bring an extra change of socks! You then head up into a meadow. Probably 2/3 into the way to Beauty Lake you see a river to your right, with a cool waterfall coming down some rock cliffs on the other side. We tried to find a way to get across the river to the waterfall, but couldn't find a way to cross without getting fully submerged. I will have to look into this more next time to see how to get over there. After a while, you come up to a fork in the path and you have to decide whether you want to go to Beauty Lake or Becker Lake. Both were recommended to me from a friend, but we chose Beauty because we heard it was prettier (duh). However, a lot of backpackers were taking the other route to Becker because I believe it's a better place to camp/fish and offers access to other chains of lakes. Once you are super close to the lake, you have to descend quite a ways to get to the lake shore. The views from the shore make it all worth it. Walking back up the trail to the meadow is the hardest part of the hike. It is short and steep though so not a big deal.