Avalanche Peak Trail

Avalanche Peak Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,017 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

This is a fun climb up a tall peak as you enter the park from the east. A short, often windy, hike up a nearby peak as you enter Yellowstone National Park from the east (Cody, WY). You'll pass through beautiful forests with meadows of wildflowers and end up on a windy barren peak with views over Yellowstone below.

Awesome trail. Took my husband an I (fairly in shape, outdoorsy people from Indiana) about 2-2.5 hrs to the top, taking quite a lot of pictures and hunkering down from the wind for a while. Minus excursions, probably would have taken about an hr and a half. Take a jacket. It’s really cold. And REALLY windy. Can be steep in some parts but nothing exposed and nothing technical. It’s seems a lot steeper coming down, you really have to watch your footing in the loose rocky areas. I’m not one for trekking poles, but for this one, it might be a decent idea. Beautiful 360 view that’ll take your breath away before the wind does.

Very steep by the top had some of the most amazing views close to sunset I’ve ever seen. A full 360 of Yellowstone and beyond. Two out of shape people took about 3-4 hours up. 1 hour down.

Awesome trail. About 5.2 miles round trip, took us a little over 3 hours including stopping for pictures. The top is rocky and fairly slippery, but doable without hiking poles. Very windy at the peak.

Loved this trail. The forest area was beautiful. The wildflowers were beautiful the whole time. We didn’t see bugs in the forest like others did, but we sprayed ourselves. We each had walking sticks with sharp points. I strongly recommend poles or sharp walking sticks. With those and proper shoes, I’d rate this trail as moderate. It really made a huge difference. I wouldn’t do the trail without them. The views are absolutely outstanding. Get an early start and enjoy the top to yourself like we did. By the time we headed down, there were a dozen people coming up! Total time was 3:15, but we spent a good half hour on the top and stopped for pics along the way down. We also went to the further point. I’d recommend it, but it is super WINDY. Be prepared and be smart. It’s also super cold up there.

Very nice walk through the flowers and woods early on with good views from the top. It took my wife and I 1:30 to get to the top and an hour back down at a decent pace with only a few short breaks.

Great trail with great views along the way and the view at the summit is awesome and well worth the pain. We did it with our 2 kids (8 and 12) on August 6 and they almost made it to the top, stopping 0.4 miles away from the summit. Mosquitoes are definitely waiting for you in the trees, a good incentive to keep the pace, and the overall distance is probably closer to 5 miles round trip. Bring a hat and a jacket: no more shade after the tree area and the top is windy.

Great hike, it’s a bit longer than posted maybe an extra mile and some change. Beautiful views. Saw chipmunks, humming birds, wood peckers, and a deer on the way down. There were only three groups of 1-5 hikers so it was nice to get out of the crowds for a bit. Highly recommend it! My 5 yo was with us and she moaned a bit but once we got back down she said it was a wonderful hike :)

Real steep, definitely not for the faint of heart. Definitely worth the hike though!

Fantastic views once I passed through the forests about 1.5 miles. The trail was steep and strenuous, so the poles were helpful to descend.

Really fun trail! Beautiful views from the top of the mountain. One of Yellowstone's finest imo.

Beautiful views. Trail very slippery on way down. Would do it again but allow much ore time and bring and Butt-cushion next to me. Lots of mosquitoes bring bug spray.

This is an awesome hike. I recommend it as a better (though more strenuous) alternative to the insanely crowded Mt Washburn hike (Hiked that in 2011). This is one of the most vertical day hikes in the park and it feels like an actual climb for most of the 2-2.5 miles to the summit. The first half of the hike is in the tree line and the mosquitoes can be rough if you hit a patch without a breeze. When you get above the tree line be careful with your footing, as it is almost all loose rock to the summit. The views of the lake and tetons are phenomenal when you get to the top, and with no lookout tower or rangers at the top you feel like you have actually conquered a mountain. You'll want to take the hike back down slow. It took us just as long to get down the mountain as it did to get up since the trail is so steep.

Hiked (climbed really) this trail Aug '18 and loved it. It is a leg buster up and down and shows no mercy for out of shape flatlanders like myself. The mosquitoes are ample motivation to get to the tree line. Much scree near the top. Worth it for the summit views alone. Bring a jacket.

My extended family and I hiked this trail in mid-July 2019. The technical information about this trail is incorrect resulting in bad assumptions. The actual round trip from parking lot to summit is 8 miles and not 4 miles, so bring enough water and allow yourself 6 hours to complete this hike keeping in mind your own personal skill. We had awesome weather conditions with incredible views of seeing all the way to the Tetons and equally to the north. But, this is a strenuous hike with bottom region in dense forest and narrow trails with a roots and rocks in often steep grades in moist conditions. Warning the bottom region had many mosquitoes . We lost the mosquitoes in the middle region and the forest opened up with two meadows openings. The trail after this is narrow and steep. In the high region, you leave the trees and enter the world of rocks and snow/ice patch crossings. Hiking boots and poles are an asset in any region of this hiking trail. The high region is solemn and windy with just you and your personal goal. If you would stop at either meadow crossings would be sufficient for a hard hike but committing to the summit takes another degree of difficultly as twice as hard as the hike up to that second meadow. After reaching your goal keep in mind the descent is every bit as difficult as the ascent.

Great trail but straight up.

My wife and I hiked this on July 8th. Weather started off beautifully before noon. As we ascended the Peak, just above the tree line, a massive electrical storm hit. Driving rain and sleet; lightning all around. We hunkered down at the tree line and waited for 45 minutes until the storm passed. Hiked up to the cirque and debated the summit; however, another storm could be spotted in the distance. Scrambled down the trail and to the parking area. The stream/snow melt at the trailhead was very refreshing (Filter? Nope - pure goodness). So, dress in layers regardless for the month. Pack hiking poles; especially for the trek down in wet weather. Cell Service is pretty much nonexistent.

Amazing hike; best one that we did in the park. Would recommend! Bring gloves

What amazing hike. I recommend this hike. I was told by several people that I probably won't make it up due to how's strenuous this hike is. I recommend hiking sticks if you got them. Yes I'm overweight but it only took me 3 hours to go up and about an hour to get down. I even did this trail while I was sick. I made sure to have enough water. If you go with a positive attitude and pace yourself you will be able to make it up. I saw all kinds of people on this trail and everyone was struggling to get up. When you get to the top the view is incredible. So I highly recommend this trail for everyone. If you've always wanted to do it go, go with a positive attitude. Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot hike this trail, because I know everyone can hike this trail if they put their mind to it. Best hike ever!

Great hiking experience on 7/7!! The trial is pretty strenuous and ascend quickly in the woods. Last 0.7 miles trails still covered with some snow. No animals spotted. Light traffic around noon. The view on the top does not disappoint!

We faced lots of melt water but had a blast during this trail. Also far more other hikers then what we expected