Avalanche Peak Trail

Avalanche Peak Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,017 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

This is a fun climb up a tall peak as you enter the park from the east. A short, often windy, hike up a nearby peak as you enter Yellowstone National Park from the east (Cody, WY). You'll pass through beautiful forests with meadows of wildflowers and end up on a windy barren peak with views over Yellowstone below.

Beautiful hike! Starts out climbing up right from the start. The wooded parts are beautiful and the views after you get out of the tree line.... spectacular. If you can handle the elevation gain this is a must do.

Couldn’t make it much above 10300 feet due to snow. Most beautiful views of Yellowstone though even without summiting.

Steep climb, but well worth it. Great views!

One of the best hikes I’ve done. Started at 7:30AM end of August. It was cold and windy. Lots of trees and shades for the first half. Almost no shade for the rest. By the time we reached the peak it was the perfect 70 degrees weather and windy. Rocky and slippery for the final quarter of the trail. Views were beautiful. Go as early as possible during summers. Would do it again.

Really good trail, but the elevation gain is pretty brutal. Very windy after you pass the forest and go through the rocks.

It’s so beautiful! A little bit hard for me but be patient and take some breaks while hiking. And it’s really windy on the peak. Other than those, enjoy the view on the top.

Pretty steep for the majority of the trail but the 360 views are well worth it! Be sure to watch the weather because hail can form quick at the summit.

Very difficult trail almost entirely at an incline. Incredible views from the top. Well worth it. Bring sunscreen

Beautiful hike! The first half mile is tough, and the last half mile is rocky. We left around 1:05pm and got back at around 3:50! Very windy on the top. Gorgeous 360 view of the Yellowstone national park.

The trail has good views along the way. Left at 6:45am and had the peak to myself for over 40 min before people started showing up. My one word of advice is make sure at the 1.7 mile point you go right and not left. I ended up 1/2 off trail before I realized it.

Awesome trail. Took my husband an I (fairly in shape, outdoorsy people from Indiana) about 2-2.5 hrs to the top, taking quite a lot of pictures and hunkering down from the wind for a while. Minus excursions, probably would have taken about an hr and a half. Take a jacket. It’s really cold. And REALLY windy. Can be steep in some parts but nothing exposed and nothing technical. It’s seems a lot steeper coming down, you really have to watch your footing in the loose rocky areas. I’m not one for trekking poles, but for this one, it might be a decent idea. Beautiful 360 view that’ll take your breath away before the wind does.

Very steep by the top had some of the most amazing views close to sunset I’ve ever seen. A full 360 of Yellowstone and beyond. Two out of shape people took about 3-4 hours up. 1 hour down.

Awesome trail. About 5.2 miles round trip, took us a little over 3 hours including stopping for pictures. The top is rocky and fairly slippery, but doable without hiking poles. Very windy at the peak.

Loved this trail. The forest area was beautiful. The wildflowers were beautiful the whole time. We didn’t see bugs in the forest like others did, but we sprayed ourselves. We each had walking sticks with sharp points. I strongly recommend poles or sharp walking sticks. With those and proper shoes, I’d rate this trail as moderate. It really made a huge difference. I wouldn’t do the trail without them. The views are absolutely outstanding. Get an early start and enjoy the top to yourself like we did. By the time we headed down, there were a dozen people coming up! Total time was 3:15, but we spent a good half hour on the top and stopped for pics along the way down. We also went to the further point. I’d recommend it, but it is super WINDY. Be prepared and be smart. It’s also super cold up there.

Very nice walk through the flowers and woods early on with good views from the top. It took my wife and I 1:30 to get to the top and an hour back down at a decent pace with only a few short breaks.

Great trail with great views along the way and the view at the summit is awesome and well worth the pain. We did it with our 2 kids (8 and 12) on August 6 and they almost made it to the top, stopping 0.4 miles away from the summit. Mosquitoes are definitely waiting for you in the trees, a good incentive to keep the pace, and the overall distance is probably closer to 5 miles round trip. Bring a hat and a jacket: no more shade after the tree area and the top is windy.

Great hike, it’s a bit longer than posted maybe an extra mile and some change. Beautiful views. Saw chipmunks, humming birds, wood peckers, and a deer on the way down. There were only three groups of 1-5 hikers so it was nice to get out of the crowds for a bit. Highly recommend it! My 5 yo was with us and she moaned a bit but once we got back down she said it was a wonderful hike :)

Real steep, definitely not for the faint of heart. Definitely worth the hike though!

Fantastic views once I passed through the forests about 1.5 miles. The trail was steep and strenuous, so the poles were helpful to descend.

Really fun trail! Beautiful views from the top of the mountain. One of Yellowstone's finest imo.

Good easy to follow hike. elevation gain isn’t too bad and the view is amazing. Lot’s of loose gravel and rock, be careful on the way down.

Beautiful views. Trail very slippery on way down. Would do it again but allow much ore time and bring and Butt-cushion next to me. Lots of mosquitoes bring bug spray.