Avalanche Peak Trail

Avalanche Peak Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

rock climbing

This is a fun climb up a tall peak as you enter the park from the east. A short, often windy, hike up a nearby peak as you enter Yellowstone National Park from the east (Cody, WY). You'll pass through beautiful forests with meadows of wildflowers and end up on a windy barren peak with views over Yellowstone below.

amazing hike!! body view from the top.... windy as all get out. keep ahold of your hats lol

Did this a couple of years back. Amazing hike with amazing views at the top. Not an easy hike so very rewarding once completed.

I hiked this at the end of August and there was a lot of snow. I almost got blown over by the wind at the top! It is steep the whole way up except for a few spots. If you are doing it, come prepared with water and layers.

I hiked this trail with my 50 year old mother. If she can do it, you can too. That being said there is a point about a mile in that the trail path got obscured. My mother and I ended up climbing the mountain off trail for a while until we met back up with it. We we're able to take the trail down the whole way. The view on top is beautiful, but make sure you're prepared with hiking equipment and a positive attitude.

This was a challenging hike, and steep at times but slow and steady wins the race on this one. The views at the top are incredible! You can see all the way to the Grand Tetons. But make sure to bring warm layers for the top, it was a beautiful sunny 65 degree day at the bottom but incredibly windy and cold at the top. Thankfully people have built small rock wall barriers that you sit in and eat and relax at the top. We made it up in 2hrs 20min and it took about 1hr to get down. Coming down was challenging at points because of the steepness coupled with all the loose rocks and dirt, I recommend finding a walking stick.

A great hike to test your legs and your stamina!

Very nice view 360 degree view from the top including Yellowstone Lake and other mountain peaks. Not an easy hike and the 4.1 mile distance is definitely off. My Apple Watch recorded 5.53 miles, someone should get this distance updated. I was hoping to see some bighorn sheep or a grizzly at distance but didn’t see either. Challenging but well worthwhile hike.

Great hike! Being from Washington and sea level, the elevation was the biggest challenge, like some others have said. My husband and I could not catch our breaths by the time we were about halfway up! Gorgeous views though of the park, lake, and mountain ranges.

This hike was HARD but so worth it! I consider myself in shape however the elevation kicked my butt. I panted the whole way up because it is quite literally a constant incline. It gets a little sketchy up top with loose rocks that make you feel like you might slip right off the Mountain. The views are spectacular throughout though! I’ll be sore for days but I’d do it all again! I think the distance should be edited - my Fitbit tracked 3.05 miles one way - which would make this hike 6.10 miles not 4.1.

Short and rewarding hike. It was a steady climb most of the way with a lot of rock scrambling towards the last 1/2 mile, but I didn’t find it particularly challenging. I reached the peak in about an hour and 15 minutes and down in less than an hour. Great views at the top but it is very windy so layers are a must!

Tough hike. But worth the pain.

It is worth the pain.

A great hike. Nice off the beaten path Yellowstone activity. Climbed/hiked with my three daughters, ages 13, 17 and 17. It’s definitely steep in places going up (tougher grade while you’re still in the trees) but consistent walking should get you up in 2-2.5ish hours. Once you’re up, the views are amazing. Good stereotypical Rockies peak hike of woods, basin, talus/scree and summit zones. We live in NC and did this as an acclimatizing hike prior to 4 days of backpacking on the Teton Crest Trail. Worked perfectly for what we needed and my kids enjoyed it a ton. Hiked in mid-July and only crossed one easily-traversed snow field.

We did this hike with 30 high schoolers at the end of July. It was definitely a trying hike, and the incline was tough, but the views at the top can't be beat. The wildflowers were incredible as well.

La montée peut être quelque peu demandante, mais wow pour le spectacle visuel!!!!

I was reading post and reminiscing. I did this hike about 15 years ago with my some who was 15 at the time. I didn't think is was too difficult of a hike, although pretty steep in some areas. I remember it being very windy on top and the views were amazing. If you are in Yellowstone make the time to do this hike. You will remember it forever.

Fantastic hike with spectacular views. I didn’t think Yellowstone had hiking like this (for day trips at least) - you really get to see the park from an amazing elevation. The top is very windy but there’s a ton of little rock bunkers to sit and hang out in and take in the views. I tracked it as closer to 5.7miles RT. Took about 3 hours with plenty of stops on the way up for pictures of wildflowers and to catch my breath :)

Great hike! Strenuous at the start but take your time because it's worth it! You hit a clearing (picturesque stream here!) about 45 minutes in where you can catch your breath. Then more elevation hiking and it gets rockier as you ascend so watch your step. In July 2018 there were some snow patches on the way to, and on, the mountain. It wasn't too cold at the top but WINDY so definitely bring a second layer for your torso and a hat. There was a cute little fat chipmunk at the peak :) Seek refuge from the wind in the rock bunkers! Enjoy.

We did this hike Saturday, July 7th. We started the hike late....around noon time. We did not experience the bugs that have been mentioned. Neither me nor my husband had to wear bug spray which was awesome!!!

It took us two hours to get to the top. All trails says 2.0 miles but I mapped it while hiking and it mapped it at 2.67 miles. We did stop for a 15 minute snack break :). Only took us an hour to get down.

Totally worth the hike!! Amazing views at the top. It is super windy at the top but plenty of places to sit and relax before you head back down. ENJOY your hike!!!

Started hike at 8:30am this morning and experienced a warzone of mosquitoes and flies during the first mile. Wearing 40% DEET had minimal effect. Coming back down the bugs were mostly gone so I suggest a later start during this time of year. Took 1.5 hrs to summit and another 1.25 hrs back down. Trail was clearly marked and where it wasn't there were rock cairns. Some snow remaining closer to the top but easy to figure out which way to go. Didn't see many other hikers other than two groups on my way back down. Toughest part it the first mile and gets a bit easier. Summit views with friendly pikas are well worth the effort.

This ones my fav of all in YNP. My daughter & I hiked AP last week and had an awesome time.

Great hike with a tough uphill climb but worth the extra effort at every vista this beauty presents. I encountered some snow and a strong breeze as the altitude increased so bring a second layer if you start this hike in a t-shirt. Great views from the peak of surrounding mountains and lake. A little steep on the initial decent so take your time and be ready for a slip on the loose rocks but nothing perilous in store for future hikers. Great overall hike that should not be missed.

will make you want to become a forest person

I couldn’t rate this one because we didn’t finish, here’s why. We are hikers that have exclusively hiked in the Sierras in summer, on mostly marked trails with very little snow. We are all about getting great views and getting as high in elevation as possible. We are also prepared to get lost however, we stick to the trails and use GPS. There was just too much snow and we lost the trail so we turned back at about 1.0 mile up. It was about 2 miles per hour according to our calculations and would likely be a 4 hour RT. We met 3 hikers with sleds as we were on our way down who said “the top is up there so we don’t need a trail!” Looking back, we could’ve made it but this was our first off trail hike in grizzly country and we were chickens! Hope this helps... go for it

It takes effort and determination. But is certainly worth it. Do not try if you haven’t trained. But if you are in moderate condition take your time and go for it. Amazing

Wednesday, February 07, 2018

We got to the trailhead around sunrise, which I recommend, as we were the first ones to summit but passed many people on the way down. With a good push this hike is very rewarding and worth the effort. We saw mule deer and Pika at the top.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Short lung-busting hike. The trees feel endless, but then they end quite suddenly and the views are amazing on the final approach. Push over to the rounded summit, that’s where the park boundary is.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Stunning views on top of the whole Yellowstone park and you can even see the Tetons. Short by many standards but hard and steep. A great summit for a first timer? But be mindful of bears!!

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Beautiful trail and well worth the effort!!!!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Best hike in Yellowstone, beautiful view, no crowds.