Avalanche Peak Trail

Avalanche Peak Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

rock climbing

This is a fun climb up a tall peak as you enter the park from the east. A short, often windy, hike up a nearby peak as you enter Yellowstone National Park from the east (Cody, WY). You'll pass through beautiful forests with meadows of wildflowers and end up on a windy barren peak with views over Yellowstone below.

A great hike. Nice off the beaten path Yellowstone activity. Climbed/hiked with my three daughters, ages 13, 17 and 17. It’s definitely steep in places going up (tougher grade while you’re still in the trees) but consistent walking should get you up in 2-2.5ish hours. Once you’re up, the views are amazing. Good stereotypical Rockies peak hike of woods, basin, talus/scree and summit zones. We live in NC and did this as an acclimatizing hike prior to 4 days of backpacking on the Teton Crest Trail. Worked perfectly for what we needed and my kids enjoyed it a ton. Hiked in mid-July and only crossed one easily-traversed snow field.

We did this hike with 30 high schoolers at the end of July. It was definitely a trying hike, and the incline was tough, but the views at the top can't be beat. The wildflowers were incredible as well.

La montée peut être quelque peu demandante, mais wow pour le spectacle visuel!!!!

I was reading post and reminiscing. I did this hike about 15 years ago with my some who was 15 at the time. I didn't think is was too difficult of a hike, although pretty steep in some areas. I remember it being very windy on top and the views were amazing. If you are in Yellowstone make the time to do this hike. You will remember it forever.

Fantastic hike with spectacular views. I didn’t think Yellowstone had hiking like this (for day trips at least) - you really get to see the park from an amazing elevation. The top is very windy but there’s a ton of little rock bunkers to sit and hang out in and take in the views. I tracked it as closer to 5.7miles RT. Took about 3 hours with plenty of stops on the way up for pictures of wildflowers and to catch my breath :)

Great hike! Strenuous at the start but take your time because it's worth it! You hit a clearing (picturesque stream here!) about 45 minutes in where you can catch your breath. Then more elevation hiking and it gets rockier as you ascend so watch your step. In July 2018 there were some snow patches on the way to, and on, the mountain. It wasn't too cold at the top but WINDY so definitely bring a second layer for your torso and a hat. There was a cute little fat chipmunk at the peak :) Seek refuge from the wind in the rock bunkers! Enjoy.

We did this hike Saturday, July 7th. We started the hike late....around noon time. We did not experience the bugs that have been mentioned. Neither me nor my husband had to wear bug spray which was awesome!!!

It took us two hours to get to the top. All trails says 2.0 miles but I mapped it while hiking and it mapped it at 2.67 miles. We did stop for a 15 minute snack break :). Only took us an hour to get down.

Totally worth the hike!! Amazing views at the top. It is super windy at the top but plenty of places to sit and relax before you head back down. ENJOY your hike!!!

Started hike at 8:30am this morning and experienced a warzone of mosquitoes and flies during the first mile. Wearing 40% DEET had minimal effect. Coming back down the bugs were mostly gone so I suggest a later start during this time of year. Took 1.5 hrs to summit and another 1.25 hrs back down. Trail was clearly marked and where it wasn't there were rock cairns. Some snow remaining closer to the top but easy to figure out which way to go. Didn't see many other hikers other than two groups on my way back down. Toughest part it the first mile and gets a bit easier. Summit views with friendly pikas are well worth the effort.

This ones my fav of all in YNP. My daughter & I hiked AP last week and had an awesome time.

Great hike with a tough uphill climb but worth the extra effort at every vista this beauty presents. I encountered some snow and a strong breeze as the altitude increased so bring a second layer if you start this hike in a t-shirt. Great views from the peak of surrounding mountains and lake. A little steep on the initial decent so take your time and be ready for a slip on the loose rocks but nothing perilous in store for future hikers. Great overall hike that should not be missed.

will make you want to become a forest person

I couldn’t rate this one because we didn’t finish, here’s why. We are hikers that have exclusively hiked in the Sierras in summer, on mostly marked trails with very little snow. We are all about getting great views and getting as high in elevation as possible. We are also prepared to get lost however, we stick to the trails and use GPS. There was just too much snow and we lost the trail so we turned back at about 1.0 mile up. It was about 2 miles per hour according to our calculations and would likely be a 4 hour RT. We met 3 hikers with sleds as we were on our way down who said “the top is up there so we don’t need a trail!” Looking back, we could’ve made it but this was our first off trail hike in grizzly country and we were chickens! Hope this helps... go for it

It takes effort and determination. But is certainly worth it. Do not try if you haven’t trained. But if you are in moderate condition take your time and go for it. Amazing

We got to the trailhead around sunrise, which I recommend, as we were the first ones to summit but passed many people on the way down. With a good push this hike is very rewarding and worth the effort. We saw mule deer and Pika at the top.

Short lung-busting hike. The trees feel endless, but then they end quite suddenly and the views are amazing on the final approach. Push over to the rounded summit, that’s where the park boundary is.

Stunning views on top of the whole Yellowstone park and you can even see the Tetons. Short by many standards but hard and steep. A great summit for a first timer? But be mindful of bears!!

Beautiful trail and well worth the effort!!!!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Best hike in Yellowstone, beautiful view, no crowds.

Monday, July 10, 2017

An amazing hike with great views of the mountains and lake. Ran into many hikers who seemed ill prepared to tackle this trail. It is very steep, with mud and loose gravel. Highly recommend poles, some snow fields left but easily traversable without traction.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Great hike with great views. Hike starts out very steep so go at your own pace. Pretty muddy and soggy for about first 30 minutes due to snowmelt, so recommend boots. Little bit of snow but very passable and easy to walk on without traction or poles.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

I can't seem to find the actual trail I took. From beginning, summit, to end my hike was 20 miles. Absolutely gorgeous. Grizzly evidence everywhere, you never know if your life will be over in the next quarter mile or so. Bring ice shoes for the summit if there's still snow.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Steep climb but big reward in a short amount of time.

Friday, September 09, 2016

dress in layers, going up was sweaty but at the top the windchill was incredibly cold. bring cold gear and be ready for some strong winds!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Took this hike on September 9, 2015. In my opinion this is the best view of Yellowstone National Park! Definitely one of the most challenging hikes I've done. Highly recommended hike!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Steep but very much worth it. Views are spectacular. In the early morning hours, had to hike through 1-inch of fresh snow up near the summit. Trail does have a pretty heavy bear presence...use caution and common sense.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Awesome views from the top even on a smoky day. It's a slog up and a bit slippery coming down but well worth it.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Beautiful trail! Definitely worth the trek, as it's not even that difficult! A good bit of climb though, and a gorgeous view of mountain ranges and the lake.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Fantastic short hike, took about 4 hours with stops included. Saw a marmot on the way down so that's pretty cool

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Truly amazing. Very tough at the start, but worth it!

Monday, June 20, 2016

i had driven through yellowstone thinking it was no better than the big horns (views wise) and then i did this hike june 1st..... i dont recomend this hike this early unless you like 4' of slushy snow lol but the views at the top were awe inspiring. a hike i will never forget. absolutly worth the hike!!!! took us 2 hours will return