Alaska Basin Trail

Alaska Basin Trail is a 15 mile loop trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.

Trail leaves from the parking lot just above Treasure Mtn Scout Camp and is just off the road to Grand Targhee Ski Area East of Driggs, Idaho. From the parking lot/trailhead it is about 9 miles to the Alaska Basin area. The trail is generally very good - wide and not too rocky.

I hiked the Alaska Basin Trail in the 1st week of August and the wildflowers were in full bloom, a really gorgeous variety of colors and shapes. Instead of doing the loop I went north on the Teton Crest Trail to the junction with the Cascade Canyon Trail for really spectacular panoramic views of the Tetons. For the return to camp I tried to go down the 3.3-mile trail shown on Alltrails as connecting that junction with a point at the 1-mile mark on the Alaska Basin Trail. I learned the hard way that any trail that may have been there decades ago is no longer maintained or used after the 1st 500' of elevation drop from the high point. This trail should be removed from Alltrails to save others from making the same mistake I made.

We completed the loop this weekend going clockwise. We had a party of 9 (6 adults and 3 kids--11, 9, and 5yo). Going up the canyon, there were frequent stream crossings, but not too difficult. The trail went up at a steady, but moderate clip until just before the basin, when our legs were tired and the switchbacks were a little more difficult. The basin lakes were unbelievable and great for soaking your feet after a good hike. There were alot of other backpackers in the basin (2 dozen?), but there were plenty of secluded sites, so we didn't feel crowded. We didn't encounter any wildlife, other than a few chirping marmots.

On the second day, we came across a couple of small patches of snow on the trail, but neither was difficult or dangerous to cross. Likewise, descending the Devil's Stairs was an intimidating endeavor with an energetic 5yo, but not too bad.

The trail description says 15 miles, but our recorded track came up to 18.5 (we did some walking around the lakes so maybe that makes up part of the difference). All in all, this was a challenging, but enjoyable two-day trip for our group.

climbed this yesterday and had a blast. snow was present at 9000ft and continued until the lake a miles or so later. Could not find the trail at that point and just went up

A lot of snow and stream crossings but we made the whole loop. 11 hrs. and 17 miles.
Having the All Trails Pro with the down loaded map made it a whole lot easier to stay on the trail through the snow. I don't think we would have made it without it. The streams was the hardest part some were 2.5 ft deep, swift and cold to say the least. Very fun and
challenging hike.

Rating is for the experience, not the scenery. Ran into the same things as Ili Perez a few days ago. Still a ton of water and a lot of snow in the Tetons. Took the "regular" AB trail, not the Devil's Stairs. Things started getting more challenging at Mile 4, with a stream crossing where it's very hard not to get soaked. Between Miles 4-5, several downed trees and slushy snowfield crossings over the path. Finally, at Mile 5.2 (8600 feet) there was an extra crossing of a really fast-moving stream (I'm guessing a temporary one) just to get to the landmark log crossing over the rampaging main creek. By that point it was 50-50 bare ground and snow patches up to waist deep. Called it a day. Many July 4 hikers will find it a tough challenge to get to Alaska Basin this year. I'll try it again in a month.

Just finished this trail. Couldn't do the loop since there was snow still at the top and we lost the trail twice but we went 12 miles in. However We saw beautiful sights, moose, bear, and deer. Definitely recommend

I hiked this trail to the Teton Crest Trail then up to The Wall back down and up and over Hurricane Pass and then down Cascade Canyon to Jenny's Lake. A great day's hike!

This map shows a trail up the back side of Table Mountain taking off at Hurricane Pass. Has anyone hiked that trail? Or is it more finding your way across that ridge?

I did this hike in June of 2016 with my wife and son. My family and I thought this was one of the most beautiful hikes we have ever been on with awe inspiring scenery and views. Unfortunately, we were forced to turn back at the top due to too much snow. We were unable to get to Mirror lake. We will definitely hike this trail again.

What an awesome hike very beautiful I would say it's just as good as cascade Canyon if not better start the trail early it can be a long day .

One of the most beautiful trails I have hiked. There is a river aside the trail nearly the entire way up, the the sounds you get to hike are unbeatable. There are a few small water crossings, log bridges and views to kill. When you get to the top be sure to hike the extra .4 M to mirror lake, it won't disappoint.

Nice long hike

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

This is the best views you can find. Very few people for being a national park. A photographers dream.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Beautiful trail in late June. We continued up to Devil's Stairs for panoramic views of the basin and surrounding mountains. Some snow at the top of the stairs, but completely navigable. Lovely wildflowers, waterfalls, creeks, and easy terrain for the feet. Go early to avoid weather as afternoon thunderstorms can pop up quickly.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Beautiful hike! Takes you to a mirror lake about 7.75 miles in and is a moderate hike great for newbies.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

We hiked another trail this morning so this was our afternoon hike. We were very leisurely and walked a little over 2 miles in. The meadows were just lovely.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Gorgeous hike! Easy trial to follow with not much of an elevation gain and signs line the trail, keeping you in the right direction. I would definitely bring bear spray- I didn't run into any but there are multiple sets of prints on the path. The lakes were a little disappointing as they were mostly dried up but the views were breath taking. I started the trail at 8 am and ended at 3:50 pm with a lunch break- and I went up to the mountain pass-which adds another 2.5 to the 7.7 up to the basin which leads you right under the Tetons.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Wow! We were going to do a trip in Teton national park but this tops it. It's free and I could bring my dog. Great view of the Tetons at Devils staircase.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

My 9 year old son and I took 2 days backpacking trip to hike the entire loop. We went straight up to the Basin, avoiding the devil's stairs. From mile 3 to mile 7.7 the trail gained significant elevation. we ended up camping just passed the horse camp. It took us about 5 hours to get to this point. That is about the basin Lakes. On day 2, we hiked one mile up to the Lakes and then continued around the basin, up to the Sheep steps, then to Meek pass. From Meek pass we returned via the Devil's Stairs. The views from the Basin around to the Devil's Stairs are spectacular. You can see the Tetons, Mt Meek, Buck Mountain, etc. The wildflowers and fields of granite in the Basin are also great. This is some beautiful country.

Here is our highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRqv2Geoy1o

Friday, July 15, 2016

So beautiful that I was uncontrollably sobbing the entire hike, which led to extreme dehydration which normally would lead to death, but due to the abundant amounts of water on this trail, I did not die.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Spectacular country near the Tetons. Rode horses through Alaska Basin on the way to Buck Mountain and over the ridge to the other side near Jackson. This is one of the top notch hiking areas in the world.

recorded alaska basin