Alaska Basin Trail

Alaska Basin Trail is a 15.2 mile loop trail located near Alta, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.

Trail leaves from the parking lot just above Treasure Mtn Scout Camp and is just off the road to Grand Targhee Ski Area East of Driggs, Idaho. From the parking lot/trailhead it is about 9 miles to the Alaska Basin area. The trail is generally very good - wide and not too rocky.

This is the best views you can find. Very few people for being a national park. A photographers dream.

Beautiful trail in late June. We continued up to Devil's Stairs for panoramic views of the basin and surrounding mountains. Some snow at the top of the stairs, but completely navigable. Lovely wildflowers, waterfalls, creeks, and easy terrain for the feet. Go early to avoid weather as afternoon thunderstorms can pop up quickly.

Beautiful hike! Takes you to a mirror lake about 7.75 miles in and is a moderate hike great for newbies.

We hiked another trail this morning so this was our afternoon hike. We were very leisurely and walked a little over 2 miles in. The meadows were just lovely.

Gorgeous hike! Easy trial to follow with not much of an elevation gain and signs line the trail, keeping you in the right direction. I would definitely bring bear spray- I didn't run into any but there are multiple sets of prints on the path. The lakes were a little disappointing as they were mostly dried up but the views were breath taking. I started the trail at 8 am and ended at 3:50 pm with a lunch break- and I went up to the mountain pass-which adds another 2.5 to the 7.7 up to the basin which leads you right under the Tetons.

Wow! We were going to do a trip in Teton national park but this tops it. It's free and I could bring my dog. Great view of the Tetons at Devils staircase.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

My 9 year old son and I took 2 days backpacking trip to hike the entire loop. We went straight up to the Basin, avoiding the devil's stairs. From mile 3 to mile 7.7 the trail gained significant elevation. we ended up camping just passed the horse camp. It took us about 5 hours to get to this point. That is about the basin Lakes. On day 2, we hiked one mile up to the Lakes and then continued around the basin, up to the Sheep steps, then to Meek pass. From Meek pass we returned via the Devil's Stairs. The views from the Basin around to the Devil's Stairs are spectacular. You can see the Tetons, Mt Meek, Buck Mountain, etc. The wildflowers and fields of granite in the Basin are also great. This is some beautiful country.

Here is our highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRqv2Geoy1o

Friday, August 05, 2016

Friday, July 15, 2016

So beautiful that I was uncontrollably sobbing the entire hike, which led to extreme dehydration which normally would lead to death, but due to the abundant amounts of water on this trail, I did not die.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Spectacular country near the Tetons. Rode horses through Alaska Basin on the way to Buck Mountain and over the ridge to the other side near Jackson. This is one of the top notch hiking areas in the world.

Monday, March 14, 2016