Spring Green Preserve

Spring Green Preserve is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Selchs Mobile Home Park, Wisconsin that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

The preserve is desolate so I would definitely have a phone. Any woman hiking alone, bring CCW if you have one.
Beautiful moderate hike until you reach the steep uphill climb. I'm fairly active and had to stop a few times to catch my breath. That steep incline near the top of the bluff in the woods, kicked my butt lol.
The views are absolutely breathtaking! Definitely bring a camera and some water. The hike downhill is just as steep. I was almost at a run, carefully trying to avoid tripping on tree roots.
It's pretty amazing to see cactus growing here in Wisconsin! I've hiked here many times and come summer the cactus bloom yellow flowers. I've had deer run past me and today I could here turkey's. The best part is the view from atop the bluffs!

The trail head is next to the road and well marked. This is one of the special sandy trails in Wisconsin. The whole preserve is on ancient Wisconsin River terrance when ice age flood deposited a thick layer of sand. Because of this, the preserve has a unique microenvironment that supports interesting flora and fauna -- including the only native Wisconsin cactus: prickly pears! The cactuses can be found along the trail -- watch your steps. The first half of the trail is mostly flat and traverses what's known as "Wisconsin desert." The second half enters thick forest, climbs up until one emerges on top of a bluff. The trail is well maintained overall. There are a couple downed trees on trail but one can easily go around them. The climb is moderate and short. No bugs on this fall day. Morning fog from Wisconsin river valley covers the ground, but the top of the bluff rises above the fog layer. The blue sky on top and fog layer below add a majestic experience to the hike. Note: there is no restroom in the preserve.