Petrifying Springs Trail

Petrifying Springs Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kenosha, Wisconsin that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

old growth

The Park has a variety of trails suitable for Hiking, Mountain Biking, and Cross Country Skiing. The scenic park follows the winding Pike River. The trails can be accessed from numerous locations throughout the park. The majority of the hiking and biking trails follow along both sides of the Pike River. The primary ski trails follow routes around the golf course. These trails are not marked and there are no maps in the park. Some of the trails contain some very steep hills.

If you're not following the river you're on the wrong trail! This is a beautiful hike past a golf course, along a river, and through the woods. Worth it to find the correct trail head.

This place is awesome!!! There are tons of trails through the trees with a lot of varied elevations, some steep hills and thin trails. I got through about 4 miles of trails in the woods. I skipped one sketchy looking bridge this time so I didn't go all the way around. Cell service for Verizon is weak @ 3G mostly so bring an extra charger if using gps. Definitely recommend having a gps app or a detailed map saved. Probably easy to get turned around in there. If my battery wasn't almost dead I would have stayed in there another 4 miles. Hiking shoes are a must. It's muddy and going down the steep dirt trails is slippery. I will be back soon, with snacks and extra chargers. Amazing and worth the hour drive from IL.

I don't think the highlighted trail actually exists. this is a park, and there are only paved paths. if you want to walk past some picnic benches and a baseball diamond, this is the place for you. maybe I'm blind and don't see the actual trail, who knows...

This was a fun trail to explore, but it was hard to navigate while walking my dog. I constantly had to stop and double check if I was on the right path with my GPS. A couple of times we got off-course, but overall I enjoyed the sights and so did my pup.

A phenomenal hike. Living in between two major cities (Chicago and Milwaukee), finding beautiful nature is a rarity. Petrifying Springs is a rarity. I hiked this park for the past two days, a few hours each, and am still in awe of its beauty. While the hike itself isn't too intense, it's definitely a bit of the challenge--especially with the slushy mud and trails with plants growing on them. Fortunately, it was a challenge that I found enjoyable. I highly recommend deviating from the paved trail and diving into the trails within the actual forest. I also highly recommend bug spray... there are an excruciating amount of bugs. The cons of this park is it's location. When immersed in the forest, you don't notice you're less than a mile within a golf course. But you are. That results in occasionally hearing loud chatter, the sounds of golf carts, or a golf ball getting struck. This, however, does not ruin the hiking experience and I would highly recommend this trail for an enjoyable hike.

Trail condition Sunday 6/18/17 a.m. - wet but rideable, some low spots are muddy. Definitely muddier and standing water on the UW trails. Slippery roots. Otherwise a nice ride!

Man I love this trail I run this trail all time. Me and are track/cross country team love running this trail.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

adventurous

Monday, September 26, 2016

great place to BBQ with friends and family and short but great trails.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

There are really hard trails along the park stretch with steep parts and sticking toots: red and purple trails on the map, see the photo. Although, the trail along the river and the golf course is easy and enjoyable.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Super hard to find the trail head. Can get confusing with the paved trail vs. the off road version. Also it's really close to the road, so it's not very deep into nature. Path can get narrow at times but extremely wide at others. No maps/signs/ directions provided on how to stay on the trail. Not a difficult trail. Doesn't feel like hiking, more like wandering trying to figure out where your supposed to go.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015