Learn more

Norman Merrill Chester Round is a 1.2 mile loop trail located near Hartland, Wisconsin that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 1.2 mi Elevation gain 91 ft Route type Loop
Dog friendly Kid friendly Hiking Nature trips Walking River Over grown
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

The hike starts out with some moderate rolling terrain typical of the Kettle Moraine in this area. After a bit the trail emerges into a wildlife opening that I've kicked up quite a few turkey and deer from as long as your approach is quiet enough. After moving through the opening, you take a slight downhill towards the river and follow it for awhile. There are many opportunities to just stop for a bit and soak in the quiet. After the river viewing, you walk through a nice pine plantation and eventually meet the trail you came in on to get back to the trailhead. This property is over 170 acres and is full of birds!

Waukesha County Park System

Just outside of Monches WI... It's easy to miss the trailhead as you pass by it on the west side of the road there's a small parking lot for two or three cars... Leave Monches going south on HWY E. just as you pass Monches Park look to the west and you'll see the parking area...

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (7)
Photos (5)
Recordings (5)
Completed (23)
Michelle Gross
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 23, 2019
Hiking

I took my dog along for a hike on this trail today. Difficult to follow, very muddy by the river and we sure picked up a lot of burrs. The path is overgrown in many areas and indistinguishable through the pines. I had my phone with and used the gps function but I still managed to go off course and backtracked several times. If there are markers anywhere I sure didn’t see them. Having said all that I would return in much colder weather. Looks like it is seldom used but I did see a gentleman return as I arrived. Also trailhead has parking for two cars at best.

Jenna Melbye
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2019
HikingBugsMuddy
Allison Borre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 16, 2016
Hiking

Beautiful woods. The trail is unmarked and at times gets a little lost completely - especially in the pines, but my kids thought that was a little more exciting. Nice quick hike though.

Josh Cnossen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 23, 2014

Went for a nice walk with my family. Finding the path in the pines was a little difficult in places, but it was a good length of a hike for my small children.

William Pulvermacher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 7, 2014
Hiking

One of the warmest days we've had in quite some time. Enjoyed returning back to this trail after a long time since my last visit. Everything had grown just a bit, but I had fun watching deer, birds, and squirrels.

Kerrie Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 28, 2012
Rock climbing

uhhhhhh

Megan Stubner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 21, 2017