Learn more

Norman Merrill Chester Round

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(7)
Monches County Park

Norman Merrill Chester Round is a 1.2 mile loop trail located near Hartland, Wisconsin that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 91 feet Route Type: Loop

The hike starts out with some moderate rolling terrain typical of the Kettle Moraine in this area. After a bit the trail emerges into a wildlife opening that I've kicked up quite a few turkey and deer from as long as your approach is quiet enough. After moving through the opening, you take a slight downhill towards the river and follow it for awhile. There are many opportunities to just stop for a bit and soak in the quiet. After the river viewing, you walk through a nice pine plantation and eventually meet the trail you came in on to get back to the trailhead. This property is over 170 acres and is full of birds!

I took my dog along for a hike on this trail today. Difficult to follow, very muddy by the river and we sure picked up a lot of burrs. The path is overgrown in many areas and indistinguishable through the pines. I had my phone with and used the gps function but I still managed to go off course and backtracked several times. If there are markers anywhere I sure didn’t see them. Having said all that I would return in much colder weather. Looks like it is seldom used but I did see a gentleman return as I arrived. Also trailhead has parking for two cars at best.

Mon Apr 08 2019

Sat Apr 16 2016

Beautiful woods. The trail is unmarked and at times gets a little lost completely - especially in the pines, but my kids thought that was a little more exciting. Nice quick hike though.

Tue Sep 23 2014

Went for a nice walk with my family. Finding the path in the pines was a little difficult in places, but it was a good length of a hike for my small children.

Fri Mar 07 2014

One of the warmest days we've had in quite some time. Enjoyed returning back to this trail after a long time since my last visit. Everything had grown just a bit, but I had fun watching deer, birds, and squirrels.

rock climbing