Meyers Beach Sea Cave Trail

Meyers Beach Sea Cave Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bayfield, Wisconsin that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

whitewater kayaking

beach

cave

Relatively tame first mile or so as it's all boardwalk and wooden steps, but past the initial section it's a nice mix of sand, root-filled single track, and wider trails. Beautiful views at times with some sketchy side trails leading to the best of those.

scenic driving

This was another beautiful ride from September 2006. I would love to come back in the winter and see the ice caves.

Great trail for the fall. First mile has been improved and is 80% wood walkway.

Not sure if this would be the correct place to review, but I visited the ice caves in 2014 in this spot. It was the first time in 9 years it was cold enough to freeze the shore area on Lake Superior to see the caves, and if you ever have the chance to do this I would highly recommend it. It's definitely a natural wonder and far surpassed my expectations. It was a pretty long hike if you go as far as the farthest caves, which most people didn't. The ice formations are unreal and there were many bald eagles, as well as beautiful scenery and rock formations. There were spots in the caves where the ice was clear and you could look beneath you into the frozen lake, and many fun areas to explore and rocks to climb.

My husband & I spent Valentine's day hiking to the ice caves when Lake Superior was frozen enough to walk on. It was about 10 degrees, but the 1 mile out to the caves warmed us up! It was an amazing experience!! It was crowded, but I didn't pay any attention to the others. The views of the ice caves, up close and personal, were spectacular!! Dogs are allowed, but on a leash.

Our family visited this park during February when Lake Superior was frozen. The sea caves were accessible from the lake ice. The caves were amazingly beautiful covered in ice. There were hundreds of people visiting on the same day we were, so it was quite crowded. However, everyone was having a great time experiencing this spectacle of nature. We hope to return in summer to kayak the caves.

My wife and I walked the clifftop trails on two occasions. The first time we walked eastward from Myers Beach about three miles. She walked away from the marked trail to a beautiful point overlooking Lake Superior and caves on three sides. I walked onward to a different overlook. We lost track of each other. I did not see her again until we returned to the parking lot 1 1/2 hours later. There are hazards; unmarked crevasses and pits, and sandy slippery clifftops with a 100 foot drop to water that is seldom warmer than 60 degrees F except late July into August. The second occasion was a quick stop to observe the new construction of picnic facilities and a boardwalk down to the lake shore. When the water is warm and the waves run in at 4 to 6 feet, the sandy bottom makes for great body surfing.

It moderately stinks that you need to pay to park at Myers beach but that is okay because the facilities are nice and kept well. I hiked the whole trail and saw some great views of the caves from above. The trail does not really have an end point so you just go out as far as you want and turn around when you have seen enough. The first portion of the trail is in the woods and MUDDY! to the point that it should be skipped by walking on the beach and taking the spur that connects to the trail at the first road it crosses. Avoiding the mud is okay because you will not miss any views, in fact you will enjoy the stroll on the beach, at least in the summer. Great trail overall! Just be cautious of the cliffs and be safe!

Fabulous location. Meyer's Beach has upgraded the parking lot, so now has more space, a better pit toilet, and - unfortunately - more people. The trail follows along the cliff above the caves for a good portion of the trail. I haven't made it all 4.8 miles out to the caves from above in warm weather, but snowshoed a way along the trail in winter. The Sea Caves become the Ice Caves in winter, so when the conditions are good, this is a whole other experience. You can walk on the lake ice about a mile straight out to the caves and see some amazing ice formations. You have to check with the National Park Service to make sure it's open.