John Muir Blue Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(137)
Kettle Moraine State Forest

John Muir Blue Loop Trail is a 11.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Palmyra, Wisconsin that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.5 miles Elevation Gain: 695 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice trail but the blue loop is actually 12 miles. Hikers go one way and bikes go the other so you always have visibility. There were a lot of people on bikes and all were very nice. We moved to the side of the trail so they could safely pass and all said thank you and advised how many people were in their group. We didn't have any issues and would go back.

After reading a few reviews on here I was a bit worried about the bikers but was pleasantly surprised when I entered the park and it said bike trails closed. Unfortunately, people didn't care and I encountered over two dozen bikers, a pair of which almost ran into me. The trail was in good condition and I alternated between hiking and trail running. It was pretty narrow in spots and I wouldn't recommend this to hike when it's full of bikers - head to Emma Carlin or Scuppernong instead if in the area. It was basically a trail through the woods with varied terrain and not much in terms of scenery or wildlife. A bit rocky in spots. The trails are marked decently, though the blue course listed on here is missing part of the trail. I did the Green course and ended up with about 8.5 miles. It fit my purpose for today, but I probably won't be coming back unless the bike trails are closed.

4/18/20 park is closed as well as all nearby state parks

What a trail.

Hiker unfriendly trail. Bikes go clockwise hikers go counter clockwise. Trail width is narrow so I had to get of the trail each time a biker goes by. (Or be run over). Think groups of 4 or 6 and standing next to the trail 20-30 seconds at a time or bikers trying for a PR. Probably encountered > 300 bikes before hopping of blue trail to a less popular trail. Most bikers friendly. Some yelled out, “this a bike trail!” Do not recommend in bike season.

Went hiking with the wife on 3-21-20. Saw about 10 people and 4 dogs while hiking the green loop. Pretty muddy, bring an extra pair of shoes for the car ride back. Great views and wild life. I highly recommend hiking around the southern unit trails.

flooded
icy

icy

great hike one of the best around here. did 12 miles but alltrails seems to like to mess up my recordings last minute lately

Hiked with a 40lb pack. Took 3.5 hours. Lots of small hills, not much for views or overlooks.

Mid-December. Well marked, well maintained trail through the woods. nothing spectacular hiking-wise but nice exercise in the woods not far from Milwaukee. missed the little loop (it's marked as blue, just slipped my mind to look at the map) so we only had a tad over 10miles.

I ended up doing the orange loop because I started so late in the day. Training for Mt Rainier. Nice elevation change. Would be challenging on a mountain bike for sure. Pretty rocky.

well marked. can do the whole blue loop or cut it short as needed with the easier green trail

always fun... the dnr left a mess for us to ride thru though. thanks volunteers dor ur time.

the bikers on the trail were very uncurtious. We almost got hit several times by bikers. Not a bad trail, just not very curtious for hikers.

Good well maintained trail. Wish there was more of a payoff for the nearly 12 miles of hiking. Still a nice trail.

Sun May 26 2019

We lucked out this morning as the trail was closed to bikes until 12, so we had the trail to ourselves. A few bikes in the afternoon but not too many. Apart from a couple of crossroads where navigation was a little difficult, the rest of the trail was easy to follow. Using this app was great for the crossroads! Mostly a forest hike with a couple of more open sections.

Sat May 04 2019

one of my favorite place to train.

Mon Apr 15 2019

Didn't see one biker before noon. In the afternoon I had to move out of the way for bikers frequently. It was also a Saturday. Trail conditions are nice and dry. (not really any mud to be seen)

Tue Mar 12 2019