Interurban Trail

Interurban Trail is a 26.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cedarburg, Wisconsin that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

skiing

rails trails

The Interurban trail, once part of an old railway, winds through rural and urban settings connecting several communities throughout its 30 paved miles. Its website states the trail is intended for year round uses, such as biking, in-line skating, walking, running and cross-country skiing.

I love this trail. I start at the old depot in Oostburg and it's a short half mile ride south on the street to where the trail connects. I have ridden 13 miles south toward Port Washington so far and it's relatively flat with easy grades. There is about a half mile of road at Cedar Grove and one residential street crossing, and a downtown street crossing in Belgium. I would also note that Belgium has a bike repair station right on the trail with a decently equipped set of tools. This section of trail is very beautiful and I have seen a good bit of wildlife. I always do round trips when I ride unless the trail is a circle.

hopefully it is 5 stars this is my first time on this trail

Friday, August 30, 2013

There is nothing better than hopping on your bike and enjoying this easy to follow trail! The description says 30 paved miles... that's not quite right. This trail connects from the paved Oak Leaf Trail in Milwaukee County and I've taken it as far as Sheboygan where it continued on to other paved bicycle routes. That's well over 30 miles, and it's a lovely, easy ride. In my opinion, the most beautiful parts of this trail are found in the 15 or 20 miles between Port Washington and Oostburg. The more Southern areas of this trail can be annoyingly crowded.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

I discovered this trail while searching for new areas to complete my long distance runs for marathon training. The Interurban trail was formed from the old Interurban rail tracks, which provides for an extremely flat (paved) running surface. I ran 8.5 of trail (17 round trip), starting in Thiensville through Cedarburg to Grafton and back. Most of the trail is off-road, but there were a couple of areas that either crossed or were on city streets within Cedarburg and Grafton. I give this trail 5 stars for the purpose in which I used it. If you are looking for a more wilderness sight-seeing type trail, then it would be around 3 stars depending on where you venture unto the path. It has its own website with a downloadable map that you can find through an internet search. Enjoy!

Monday, July 08, 2013