Devil's Lake via West Bluff Trail

Devil's Lake via West Bluff Trail is a 4.7 mile loop trail located near Baraboo, Wisconsin that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 997 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

beach

partially paved

the east bluff has a lot more cool rock formations. the west bluff has better lookout views. we went from north beach to east bluff to south beach to west bluff.

Beautiful trail with lots of beautiful views .

This is a great hike with a fair amount of elevation gain. I started with the Balanced Rock and East Bluff trails. It's steep, but a good warmup, and if you start early enough you avoid crowds waiting on the steps. A section of the loop between the East and West Bluff trails just goes along the road, which isn't my favorite. This is probably one of the steeper hikes in Wisconsin, and certainly worth it for the views.

This has to be one of Wisconsin’s best hikes! Amazing views, rocks, woods.

Great views all along the lake. You reach a few high outlooks and they are breathtaking. This is my favorite trail at the state park. Give it a try.

Have done this hike 2 times now as I live only an hour away. As far as hikes In the area go, this is as good as it gets. Some great views all the way around the lake but it does get quite crowded so go early.

splendid hike. We started at the north beach and walked clockwise. Stones are sometimes slippery even not wet. Just because the trail can be crowded. We started at 10am. Not many folks on the trail yet.

Absolutely amazing!

Solid trail for a morning run in the Midwest.

Great trail to follow to take in all the views. Combine with some of the trails on the east side of the lake to make for a longer hike and more to see. Would definitely hike again if I return to the area. If you have a national park pass then entrance is free.

What a beautiful hike! I took Sal M's advice and we started at the top and went South down the East Bluff trail. Excellent advice!!! We were sooo happy we didn't have to go up the very, very steep section of huge rock steps at the bottom of the East Bluff trail. The views from this trail are extraordinary and well worth the time and effort! Our senior pup was worn out enough though that we simply took the Tumbled Rocks Trail back up north along the shore, avoiding the West Bluff. It's great that there are different options to see this gorgeous part of our state!!

Update from last week- went on a Thursday and it was moderately busy and the hike was AWESOME! Shady, beautiful, no bugs.

One of my favorite spots

Did this loop yesterday. Rain in the morning made the rocks super slippery. Be very careful when descending as it's very easy to slip and fall. The plus side is we had the trail basically to ourselves which was very nice. The views were clouded but made for a cool effect. The afternoon was nice once the rain went away, but that brought the extreme crowds. It was a holiday weekend, so probably why there was basically a line of people going up an down. I would highly recommend taking the east route first from the north to south end and the south side of the east trail is very, very long, steep, narrow and rocky. The west side is less rocky but the start and finish are somewhat steep. Legs/knees will get an extreme workout. Great views from the top of both sides. Lake was beautiful and worth a canoe/kayak rental if you have time at the end of your hike.

Beautiful trail! I went around sunset and saw a lot of people. I went counterclockwise and walked along the lake instead of following the trail for the first half-good way to shorten the hike and cut out some elevation if you’re in a hurry. Lost the trail a few times towards the end (near 1-3 o’clock if looking at the map) but it wasn’t too difficult to backtrack and find it again. Lots of people on the trail but was never too crowded.

great

Very nice view.

Easy trail with great views at the top!

Absolutely gorgeous. I called it the Lake Tahoe of the Midwest. For me, it was a hard hike, a challenge. Moderate is an understatement. Going up the stairs was the hardest part.

Definitely recommend hiking the east side first and coming down on the west side. The east side was more difficult and easier to do at full energy. Got slightly lost coming down the east side as the intersection of the pot holes trail makes it confusing. You must go down at that point and not continue straight, otherwise you will take a very rock scrambly detour. Pretty views, great way to spend the morning! Started at 9:45am and the parking lot was already 2/3 full.

The trail was so quiet today that our dogs actually got some off leash time! The dogs loved jumping up and down the steps of the inclined areas while we got a great workout. This trail may be too intense for small pets or those with limitations, but I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a workout with a view.

Absolutely love my hike at Devils Lake. I’m new to the state and I’ve been looking for somewhere to explore. Devils Lake is about a 10 min drive from Baraboo, WI and despite being heavily trafficked, it still gives you a chance to “get out of dodge” for a while. The lake is beautiful with opportunities for canoeing and kayaking but the East Side Bluff is so far the most fun for me. It’s uphill most if not all of the way in, but you can choose your own adventure: stay on the trail or scramble around the bluffs. There is also a woodland trail that doesn’t have the incline, but I loved being able to sit out on ledges and climb on the rocks as much as I wanted- make sure to wear hiking shoes though, the rocks are slippery! The devils doorway and balancing rock are sort of hidden from the main trail, but their access is well marked with arrows. I thought the devils doorway was more worth seeing than the balanced rock. It was also much easier to get to. Balanced rock can be found by using the arrows, but you’re really just climbing up and down rock. Don’t try it unless you’ve got the energy to come back up at the end. This is a great spot for climbing though! Definitely going to return this summer with some bug spray.