Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Butler Lake Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cascade, Wisconsin that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 183 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail! A little muddy but to be expected with this weather, this time of year. Boots are helpful. Quiet and Serene! It appears several other trails start here as well.

Trail appears to be used very infrequently and not maintained very well. The grass was really tall and overgrown, the number of bugs and flies was like something out of a science-fiction movie, and large, downed trees block the trail in several spots. In fairness, my dog and I - both pretty seasoned hikers - turned around before completing the loop, so maybe conditions improve at some point. But we’d had enough; the trail appears to be nothing more than a pretty miserable walk through some pretty generic woods.

Lots of variety in landscape, steep climbs. Was a bit buggy (I hiked in July) with deer flies going for your face, but otherwise a really nice trail for someone looking for a moderate challenge and some interesting landscaping. There are some parts of the trails as others have noted that need some upkeep, fallen trees, high grass, boggy ground, but it wasn’t that hard to get around.

Fairly pleasant hike, not my favorite though. There are a few areas where trees have fallen over the path, so you have to go through some thick brush to get around. The grass & weeds were pretty high on parts of the trail. It's hard to get any pictures of the lake from this trail or to even get to the lake in general. It was a hot & humid day, so there were a lot of bugs. If none of that bothers you, it will be a pleasant hike for you.

Butler Lake Trail

Wonderful trail with lots of variety in terrain for being only 3 miles. The changes in elevation made it a challenging and fun workout. Two spots were a bit muddy but easily avoidable. Will definitely be going back, especially once it dries out a bit.

This was a very nice trail. There were some moderate elevation changes which made for a good workout. There was one or 2 muddy spots but overall pretty dry. Part of the trail was very woodsy and part of the trail was grassy but still in the woods. It was a nice wide trail so you don't feel crowded if there are others. I only saw a few people in the beginning of May. I would recommend this trail!

Great trail. A little muddy but a lot of ups and downs. Good trails for the dog. The lake was nice to kayak on.

Muddy in spots, but should dry up soon. Great workout and the dog loved it.

recorded Recording - Mar 28, 11:54 AM

Thu Mar 28 2019

Mon Mar 25 2019

A good hike with varying landscape. We wore ice cleats which were definitely needed. Part of the trail was all ice. We saw numerous folks slip out and hit the ground through the course of the day. I would recommend hiking poles too as some of the spots have steep climbs and descents. The trail varies from single track in spots, to 5 ft wide wooded and areas. Some of the trail is along a ridge that over looks the forest as well as pools of water. It was a beautiful trail. It cross crosses with a snowmobile/horse trail. But I didn’t hear or see either. We hiked this on a Saturday and saw about 25 people in the 3 hours we were there. Most of the folks I was were walking dogs. The parking lot was one of the few ones in the kettle moraine area that had been plowed. I’d definitely do this hike again when I’m in the area. I imagine it’s lovely in the summer. The trees are diverse along the trail.

Sun Sep 09 2018

not the greatest signage but a relatively easy hike despite a few eskers.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Beautiful day for this hike. There weren’t many bugs! Easy loop trail with a few climbs. The trail is mostly in the woods. Follow the trail counterclockwise to have better views of the trail mile markers. The trail crosses other trails.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Loved this trail! A bit hilly, so a good workout. Not too buggy the day we went. Only saw one other person the whole hike too. Felt very secluded and peaceful.

Thu Jun 14 2018

So many bugs including gnats so thick I could barely breathe. Also filled with mosquitoes and horse flies. Many parts of the trail are overgrown with very tall grass. Very muddy in areas. I won't be back.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Beautiful. Long grass. Lots of butterflies. Wear long pants and use bug spray.

Mon Dec 11 2017

Great esker trail. During the week is secluded and great for dogs. Spring and fall are very animal/bird active.

Tue Oct 10 2017

I was actually able to do a bit of trail running... but there were so many landscapes, I liked the brisk walk as well. My pup loved it too! Very secluded and quiet throughout my morning but a couple school buses showed up as I was leaving (perfect timing!) so I am sure it can get som traffic. When you get to the first waypoint, take the smaller trail to the right. If you go uphill (to the left) you will see the viewpoint of Butler Lake and I thought it was nice finish to overlook this (the trail has you circle back to this point)! You could also climb the steps straight up from the parking lot to get to this vantage point. But I recommend using them to get down to your car at the end! There are some picnic tables near the lot... and some kind of access to the lake near here as well. You will also notice some crossover with the Ice Age Trail. Just follow the AllTrails map on your phone to stay on track!

Sun Jul 16 2017

The Ice Age National Trail portion of this trail was a lot of up and down. It was almost a bit too strenuous for the 71-year old (with bad knees) in our group. However, we got to see some amazing butterflies, dragonflies, and wildflowers on our hike!

Mon Jun 26 2017

Quiet and secluded. Pretty well marked. I felt the peace of the forest here. Great hike.

Wed Apr 05 2017

My favorite trail on the northern kettles. Great mix of kettles, knames, and open grassland.