Butler Lake Trail

Butler Lake Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cascade, Wisconsin that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great esker trail. During the week is secluded and great for dogs. Spring and fall are very animal/bird active.

I was actually able to do a bit of trail running... but there were so many landscapes, I liked the brisk walk as well. My pup loved it too! Very secluded and quiet throughout my morning but a couple school buses showed up as I was leaving (perfect timing!) so I am sure it can get som traffic. When you get to the first waypoint, take the smaller trail to the right. If you go uphill (to the left) you will see the viewpoint of Butler Lake and I thought it was nice finish to overlook this (the trail has you circle back to this point)! You could also climb the steps straight up from the parking lot to get to this vantage point. But I recommend using them to get down to your car at the end! There are some picnic tables near the lot... and some kind of access to the lake near here as well. You will also notice some crossover with the Ice Age Trail. Just follow the AllTrails map on your phone to stay on track!

The Ice Age National Trail portion of this trail was a lot of up and down. It was almost a bit too strenuous for the 71-year old (with bad knees) in our group. However, we got to see some amazing butterflies, dragonflies, and wildflowers on our hike!

Quiet and secluded. Pretty well marked. I felt the peace of the forest here. Great hike.

My favorite trail on the northern kettles. Great mix of kettles, knames, and open grassland.

Sunday, November 27, 2016