Blackhawk Ridge Trails is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sauk City, Wisconsin that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 685 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Very cool to see the mounds on the trail as well

currently closed

This is such a pretty space with so many options. We started from what I believe was the main parking area and had a fairly steep climb but then just followed the trail to the left when we got to the fork and found ourselves just wandering as the trails aren’t particularly well marked but are in good condition until you get to the stream where it’s quite muddy but passable (if you don’t mind sinking into the muck occasionally). We heard sandhill cranes, woodpeckers and many other birds and saw a bald eagle. Lots of up and down but we we had the trails to ourselves and really enjoyed the quiet and solitude. We’ll absolutely be back because we walked for miles and didn’t even hit the main loop.

recorded Blackhawk Ridge Trails

Beautiful easy hike. Trail surface well maintained. Lots of mosquitoes. Didn’t have the back country feel as the trail was close to the road and you can hear the traffic. Trail traffic was light.

Very beautiful trails in the woods. Some trees blown over on the smaller, less traveled trails, and a bit of wash out from the rain. Overall in good condition. However, the bugs were out of control! To the point that we cut our hike short. We were covered from head to toe in Off and still ended up with bites and there was simply a ridiculous amount of bugs on us and flying around us, extremely unpleasant. Will probably do this hike again in the fall or early spring.

The trails were in good shape but the bugs are absolutely horrendous. Since then I have heard the bugs are often the worst at this trail system than any other in the area. I will wait until winter to come back. The scenery looks very nice though.

Mon May 20 2019

We will not be back. Trees were down in multiple spots, blocking the entirety of the path. The real path is not accurate to any maps, or the AllTrails route. Most of the trail is overgrown, and the steep portions had loose rocks everywhere. This hike was not safe for us or our dogs so we cut our trip short.

Fri Oct 19 2018

Beautiful, nice trails, both through woods and prairie settings. Highly recommend! Know that there is parking on top of the hill for trailers, do not use the smaller lower lot by HWY 78.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Horseback riding is awesome

Mon Aug 20 2018

Discovered about a hundred prickly pear cactuses out here today! Amazing and beautiful.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Nice trail with plenty of contour. Monday morning cloudy 30s, didn't see another person.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Trails poorly marked. Pure forest and not challenging. Passed by many trails that were closed. Would not go again.

skiing
Sat Apr 21 2018

Skiing here is awesome with backcountry skis. Hiking is fun too but often surrounded by vegetation. Only a few peeks out over the lower Wisconsin Riverway

Thu Jan 04 2018

Great trail with challenging hills!

Wed Dec 13 2017

Roamed these beautiful trails for hours with my dog today. Cant wait to come back with our horses. What a perfect setup for trail riding.

Thu Jun 01 2017

I only hiked the northern half -- This is a system of long, well maintained trails. Very wide, no obstacles, with long flat sections interspersed with moderate grades. Good for an exercise, but decidedly uninteresting scenery-wise. Most of the trails have no view; there are a couple places with heavily filtered view toward west or east. The highlight seems to be a pavilion / cabin / shelter complex in the middle. There is a nice open meadow to the east of the complex, though it also offers rather limited views. Most of the trails are open to horses (though I didn't encounter any), some dropped fresh signatures along the way. There is a historical marker about Black Hawk at the northern tip of the trail. Not far away is a system of mounds -- though it is quite difficult to make out the elongated mounds. Also note that AllTrails' black trail lines do not accurately reflect the actual trail at places -- see my recordings for a comparison. This can be occasionally puzzling if you rely on AllTrails map for navigation.

Thu Jan 01 2015

I love these trails. I go frequently as there are a few different trails that offer a number of difficulty levels. Some trails allow horseback riding as well as hiking and cross country skiing. I haven't seen any horses in the trails but have come across there manure piles so watch where you step. The trails are dog friendly. Caution during hunting season though as this fall I ran into hunters on the trails twice. They were actually squirrel hunting and some of the bullets were hitting trees a little too close for comfort. Also in the summer the tree growth can get pretty thick and mosquitoes can be unmanageable. Absolutely beautiful scenery though.

Fri Sep 14 2012

This is a great trial that can be hiked in shorter sections. It has several access points, off of Hwy 78 and near the Cedar Ridge Campground (I think the map shown on All Trails gives an incorrect location). I think it's technically called the "Blackhawk Unit of the Lower Wisconsin Riverway" (http://lwr.state.wi.us/section.asp?linkid=233&locid=50). I have mainly hiked north of the "horse arena" or whatever it is... very quiet. Some little snakes and prickly pear! I like to visit the mounds. Maybe I went to a different trail, but I never saw views of the river. We hope to hike more of the southern sections soon.

Thu Apr 26 2012

I think this trail is closed. My girlfriend and I followed the All Trails map to a farm. We asked for directions but no one knew what we were talking about.

Thu Jun 30 2011

Pretty, historical trip with nice river views.

recorded Blackhawk Ridge Trails