Black River State Forest Loop Trail

Black River State Forest Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Black River Falls, Wisconsin that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and cross country skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Primitive Camping is authorized 100ft off the trail with a pass that you fill out online. The website is very confusing though. I seen another hiker doing primitive camping so I stayed the night. Recommend protection since Wisconsin is known to have bears and other predators. The trail was good with a few good high point views. There is an additional 1.5 mile trail not listed here, but it does add more mileage, totally approx 9 miles. I had fun.

rock climbing

Nice part. Small campground.

I like a lot of elevation so this wasn't the best I've been on. But I was here from out of town hiking and enjoyed it. Being from Alaska, its rare I get to hike in 90 degree weather and I love exploring new places so I can't complain. If I am ever back in the area, I will prob explore other trails as opposed to coming back to this one, bit it was still fun.

Did the smrekar snowshoe trail. About 1.25 loop on the difficult part. Great hill up and down and well marked trails after that

so much fun isolated, have a lot of good memories

Wide, well maintained trails. The ground is even so footing is easy. Plenty of short hills that aren't too steep.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Nice hike overall for the middle of Wisconsin. The leaves were just starting to change colors as I approached the forest, so I was really excited to see all the foliage. There were so many mushrooms throughout the entire park that we could see that it made it a fun game to play. We hiked the South, Ridge, and Central trails. It was a nice hike where we only saw about two groups on our entire morning here.
Very peaceful and contemplative environment. The forest is well taken care of, and the ridge was absolutely beautiful. Such a nice place to go for a quick hike.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

This was a very hard trail with many hills to climb. My 4 year old Grandson walked the whole way with us. Bless his little heart. Very proud of him.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

a lot of hills. To much for a 4 year old.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Hiked and camped here a few times. Really nice! Even sat up on the cliff side and watched a storm roll in, it was a beautiful site to see.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

there is a network of trails in this area, daily trail pass cost is $4 and you can register at the trail head, my son and I hiked 5 miles today 29march 2014, and the trails are still groomed for cross country skiing . we were able to walk on hard packed snow with no problems. all the trails are close to exit 228 off the 94.