Black River State Forest Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(48)
Black River State Forest

Black River State Forest Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Black River Falls, Wisconsin that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and cross country skiing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 miles Elevation Gain: 524 feet Route Type: Loop

All of the good points about the trails are just as described from past reviews and would highly recommend if you’re looking for an enjoyable day hiking,however just wanna day we did not have any problems at all when we did both the Red Oak and Wildcat trail. I know it’s tick season, maybe we were just lucky?

Summary: Beautiful trail, so many wood ticks. Wide trails great for multi person hiking and well groomed. Very well marked including signage to trail head. Several loop sections make it easy to customize trip length. Plenty of parking. Dog friendly but lacks garbage at parking area so plan to take home any doggy bags. Two or three very nice overlooks and abundant benches. Pulled over 50 ticks off our dog and an equal amount off each human. Overall an excellent day hike.

Ticks are out in force! Beautiful well maintained trail with some hills. Wild flowers lovely, trees just being to bud. Several benches along the way to listen to the birds.

Great trail- nice and quiet. Saw very few people. Had great inclines and a couple good lookout points.

icy

Started with the Red Oak Trail then came back on the Norway Pine Trail. A couple hill inclines & a great overlook on Norway with a bench. A bit cold, misty, & rainy but we were the only ones out there!! No fee as of now either. Campgrounds are closed for time being.

icy

Great work out!! Red oak( more difficult) was very icy and lots of rolling hills. More of a snowmobile trail verses a hiking trail. Still very nice. The Norway Pine trail(most difficult) was very beautiful, with some spots overlooking the valley below. Some steep hills with some slippery areas. Glad we went, can’t wait to do the Wildcat trail(most difficult).

Nice trail with some elevation gain. Nice views of Wildcat.

Awesome trail! Nice up and down terrain, well maintained, beautiful fall colors, well marked, lots of options for distance.

Nicely maintained ski trails over very hilly terrain. Definitely a work-out! The best overlook views are off this designated trail (southern “tip” of Wildcat and a marked scenic view spur trail). Both worth the extra steps! The ticks in this area are terrible in the spring and summer, but no longer an issue in September. Very peaceful, quiet trail.

Not a bad trail. Few spots here and there with some decent viewpoints. Otherwise it was a nice quite walk thru the woods. Seen a couple of deer along the way.

Sun Jun 02 2019

It was fun with decent views but it was woodtick haven. We took the road back instead of the trail to the parking lot

Tue Dec 18 2018

Easy to get around, not bad at all.

Thu Oct 18 2018

Beautiful fall colors. Well marked.

Fri Sep 21 2018

Nice well marked trails. Took my dog and he wore out before we completed the full trail. Fairly difficult with hills but a nice challenging hike.

Mon Sep 18 2017

Primitive Camping is authorized 100ft off the trail with a pass that you fill out online. The website is very confusing though. I seen another hiker doing primitive camping so I stayed the night. Recommend protection since Wisconsin is known to have bears and other predators. The trail was good with a few good high point views. There is an additional 1.5 mile trail not listed here, but it does add more mileage, totally approx 9 miles. I had fun.

rock climbing
Sat Aug 12 2017

Nice part. Small campground.

Tue Aug 08 2017

I like a lot of elevation so this wasn't the best I've been on. But I was here from out of town hiking and enjoyed it. Being from Alaska, its rare I get to hike in 90 degree weather and I love exploring new places so I can't complain. If I am ever back in the area, I will prob explore other trails as opposed to coming back to this one, bit it was still fun.

Wed Feb 08 2017

Did the smrekar snowshoe trail. About 1.25 loop on the difficult part. Great hill up and down and well marked trails after that

Thu Jan 05 2017

so much fun isolated, have a lot of good memories

Mon Oct 31 2016

Wide, well maintained trails. The ground is even so footing is easy. Plenty of short hills that aren't too steep.

Tue Sep 20 2016

Nice hike overall for the middle of Wisconsin. The leaves were just starting to change colors as I approached the forest, so I was really excited to see all the foliage. There were so many mushrooms throughout the entire park that we could see that it made it a fun game to play. We hiked the South, Ridge, and Central trails. It was a nice hike where we only saw about two groups on our entire morning here. Very peaceful and contemplative environment. The forest is well taken care of, and the ridge was absolutely beautiful. Such a nice place to go for a quick hike.

Thu Jul 21 2016

This was a very hard trail with many hills to climb. My 4 year old Grandson walked the whole way with us. Bless his little heart. Very proud of him.

Mon Apr 18 2016

Hiked and camped here a few times. Really nice! Even sat up on the cliff side and watched a storm roll in, it was a beautiful site to see.

Sat Mar 29 2014

there is a network of trails in this area, daily trail pass cost is $4 and you can register at the trail head, my son and I hiked 5 miles today 29march 2014, and the trails are still groomed for cross country skiing . we were able to walk on hard packed snow with no problems. all the trails are close to exit 228 off the 94.