Snake Hill Trail is a 3.2 mile loop trail located near Morgantown, West Virginia and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Loop

Wildlife management area along the Cheat River (3 miles) While the 2,000 acre Snake Hill WMA was purchased to protect the views of the more well known Coopers Rock State Forest from development, Snake Hill has some very nice overlooks of its own and this loop takes you to each of them. Starting at the northern parking area and traveling clockwise, a dirt access road takes you to Table Rock and a view towards Cheat Lake and ofCoopers Rock with Haystack Rock seen below it across the gorge. Coming back along another access road will bring you to a small open area. The trail loop there (again moving clockwise) brings you to several unnamed views and finally to Cheat View looking up the river gorge and towards Raven Rock. These overlooks have no developed railing and can be slippery when wet. Be extremely carefully because it's a long drop should you go over the edge.

Great hike and similar reviews as others noted with the muddy trail conditions. Can't upload pictures here or we could show what we encountered what appears to be mountain lion tracks, piles of scat on the trail, and nearby trees scratched with deep marks. stay alert.

The trail was very wet and muddy in many places. It is also not marked at all. I would recognize using the All Trails app as you walk it to help you stay on the actual trail. Very pretty views from some side trails.

Great hiking trails. There are some great views of Coopers Rocks and Cheat lake bridge but you need to follow the app map the find them.

Amazing views and much less populated than other trails around.

Trail not well marked so make sure to pay attention to your trail map. A little muddy in places. The three overlooks offer really nice views!

Awesome hike. Loved all the different views you get from the multiple cliffs! Very much worth it!! The hike isn’t the worst, there’s a few spots where it’s up hill. The trails can be a bit confusing at first for sure.

Decent hike, mostly on a gravel road. If you go off trail there are some neat overlooks that you can get to in a fairly easy manner.

Awesome trail,with some of the best views Preston county has to offer...check this one out

Great trail and the views were amazing! Pretty easy (a couple small hills), to do the loop as it shows on all trails map you have to walk about 1/4 mile on 2 lane road. Rained the bight before and it was very muddy.

I absolutely loved this hike. For pretty minimal effort, you get an amazing reward of multiple views. I found the whole thing easy to follow. The views were fantastic

Loved this trail! The gps map was necessary for me to find the overlook, which was worthwhile!

Went after it had just snowed and it was beautiful. Looked like there had been some cross county skiing done on the main trails. Was still easily navigable even with the trails covered by snow at parts. Dog friendly as well.

Great overall hike - definitely use the gps map as a guide! Had cell service the entire time. Use the map to find the rock overlooks, which are signaled by the short black paths on the map. Dog friendly!!

This trail is beautiful in the fall but we ran into some hunters and heard several gun shots. There are no postings saying to wear orange or that this is a hunting area. We were about a mile out when we ran into the hunter. Definitely scary but a beautiful area

fantastic trails wonderfully maintained.

Nice hike with some great views. Alltrails map is needed as this trail isnt blazed, but it's super easy to follow with the downloaded map. Only passed two other hikers on a clear Sunday afternoon, peaceful and quiet. Not many steep inclines, moderate at most.

We hiked the entire 3.2 and had a Timber Rattlesnake sighting. We also saw 2 long black snakes. The trail isn’t marked very clearly so I recommend using the gps of this app to follow it. It was a bit buggy. We saw a really beautiful stone wall and also found the overlook off the main trail. We were the only ones on the trail. It was peaceful and a good workout.

Wed Mar 13 2019

They are three great overlooks! You can see coopers rock overlook and cheat lake. The walk is easy and flat. There’s some mud/ water, but the walk is very easy. There’s a cool stone dam in the beginning too. The trail is mostly a gravel/ dirt road, so you’re walking to see the view, which I was fine with. I had to use AllTrails to follow to path, so def start recording. On the way back, the app wanted us to walk along Snake Hill Rd, but it looked dangerous so we used the roadside trail instead (marked on the map). Also the overlooks are unmarked, but they are marked on the all trails app. That’s how we found them. I had cell service the whole trip and full bars at the overlook (at and t; sprint). If you like coopers rock but want a better view with less of a crowd, you’ve found the place.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Mostly a gravel path where tractors can get back there to maintain the wildlife tree preserve they have going on towards the back. Grass along the path is unkept, so I'd advise to wear long pants or gators. I went alone to check it out first and good thing. My little ones would have been bored to death. Lots of trees, some birds. There is a big rock cliff towards the back off the trail, but was meh. Lots of horse and dog poop, do watch your step. Very quiet, hardly any other people. Trail is not marked, but used All Trails map to verify my path. No AT&T cell service.

Sun Nov 04 2018

There are a couple really great lookouts, not the table rock, you have to go off the trail just a bit to find them, they are unmarked.

Sat Nov 03 2018

There’s a super cool damn on ur hike out to table rock. Very muddy! If you hike the loop it turn into a gravel road, look for a path into the woods on ur left, super cool old cemetery from the 1860’s

Sun Aug 26 2018

The views are well worth the walk, despite the trail being mostly gravel road. We did encounter a timber rattler while scrambling over boulders at the base of table rock. Watch your step!

Fri Aug 17 2018

Hiked this trail Friday, August 3. I had never been on the Snake Hill Trail before and had heard talk of it being in rough shape following the logging that took place a few years back. For this reason, I downloaded the AllTrails app and followed the map. The trail itself is an easy walk, no real uphill climbs. For the most part, the trail is flat with muddy areas or grass. I did not come across any jagged rocks sticking up like the Ravens Rock trail. There are two parking areas to the trail. Either one you park at, if you follow the loop, you will end up walking on the road back to the other parking area, to which there are blind turns on Rohr Road/Snake Hill and some traffic travels fast so be cautious with that. I tried to follow the path back to my car but made a wrong turn on the trail and ended up following the loop instead. I did not make it out to what I think should be an overlook. We followed the map to the left corner and ended up on a big rock but trees blocked the view. I assume the overlook is across the way from there. Again, it was my first time on the trail and using the app and map so I think it was all user error. The only other item I'll note that others have mentioned is the possibility of rattlesnakes or copperheads being on or around the trail. There are signs posted at the trail head warning of snakes and I have heard of people coming across them. We did not encounter any while walking this past weekend. Will definitely walk this trail again. Very peaceful and beautiful

Tue Jul 31 2018

This is a nice trail that leads to some great views of Cheat Lake and the Cheat River Canyon. Pros: Great views, varied scenery (alternates between thick forests and open meadows), loop trail, not too difficult or long Cons: Part of the hike is along Snake Hill Road which has no shoulders, no blazes or signs to follow (use the AllTrails app to navigate instead), another part of the hike is along a gravel road Even with the cons, it is still a nice hike with great views. Definitely recommended if you want a nice hike not far from Morgantown with fewer people than Coopers Rock.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Good trail with nice views. About halfway through it turns into a gravel road that leads to the main road. That is the only downside