Seneca Rocks Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Seneca Rocks, West Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Seneca Rocks Trail is a well maintained hiking trail to an observation platform with a gorgeous view of the rock faces. Benches along the trail make great places to catch your breath. The trailhead features picnic areas and a visitor center. Spruce Knob - Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area is a well known spot for seeing the Potomac River or rock climbing.

Great easy and scenic trail. If you’re into trail running it’s a steady incline with even ground until you get the rocks on top. Be extra careful on the rocky area because it was snow covered and slippery.

Very picturesque.

Awesome hike. Loved the feeling of using my trekking poles with the rocks on the final section of the top. Really cool view and very good trail, from some of the reviews I was off-putted, however, my girlfriend suggested we still go and I’m glad we did. We went on a Monday and only saw a few people and one person at the top who kindly left for us. We were at the top for about 30 minutes. No one came up. Highly recommend.

This is one of those hikes where the views from the info center are better than from the top of the mountain. There were way too many people for my taste, and they were the kind that just sit at the top, hogging the mountain top to themselves. This is just a simple tourist attraction, nothing worth climbing unless you want to weave around the non-hikers out for a walk and wait for a chance to climb the rocks on top. This is also a gravel path, so it really can't even be called a hike. Took and hour for me to go up and down and so far it's been a least favorite adventure of mine.

Good views from the landing up top. It took about an hour and 10 minutes round-trip.

Always awesome

Did it in the rain and the clouds are the top we’re breathtaking. Want to do it again when the sun is out. Beautiful!!!!

We completed this as a group of twelve, including an 8-year-old, 9-year-old, and four teenagers. There are blue signposts along the way giving you information about how Seneca Rocks was formed from sedimentary rock, tree slide, iron ore, etc. The little kids had to stop and read each one, which was annoying at first because they’re pretty close together, but then they were awesome as us parents needed to stop and catch our breath. The signposts stopped when the switchbacks became really steep, unfortunately. We were three out of shape Moms, and we stopped at the top of each switchback to catch our breath. Although the trail is in a forest setting, we found it to be beautiful with great views along the way. At the end of the trek, you will arrive at an observation deck which looks out over the valley. We stopped, took a million pics, had some snacks and headed back down. You have the option of climbing up some rocks, and the older kids and the younger adults in our group did just that. With the warnings about the deaths over the years, most of us stayed on the deck. As previously mentioned, you cannot really see Seneca Rocks on this trail. That was a little disappointing, but expected, as we’d read the reviews. Bring lots of water on this hike if you’re even slightly out of shape.

This has to be the coolest rock in West Virginia! I went here on a whim and was pleasantly surprised to find a switchback trail leading to the very top (where the brave can advance beyond the lookout). I never expected to find a hike like this in this part of the country, as the top of the rock reminds me of Angel's Landing in Utah. It's a tough hike, but can be done by anyone in alright-shape by taking it slow.

Absolutely beautiful view! Well worth the climb.

Wonderful hike with lots of altitude! Def got my heart racing. We finished it up with a rest at the top in about 2 hours.

switch backs almost all the way up but beautiful views from the top

I would do it once but not as a repeat hike. It’s more of an ascent or climb than a hike. The view from the platform is lovely but it is of the valley below and not of the rock formations. We were under the impression that the trail led to the actual rocks so this was a bit of a letdown. Progress markers on the trail would be a great addition. One and done for us.

I really enjoyed this trail. It is a climb on the way to the viewing platform but it is well worth it. The trail was wide and well maintained.

Nice cardio hike. Beautiful viewpoint at the top.

This is a nice hike that is set up for everyone. Well maintained path to the observation deck that included benches for people rest along the way. The bonus to this hike is when you get to the top and can go out on the fins of Seneca Rocks.

It was ok, but definitely would not do again. View is lovely, but nothing spectacular or worth all the people on the more narrow switchbacks. I would count it as an easy climb if crowds were low.

Moderate is the perfect way to describe the difficulty - a gradual ascent up to the platform through switchbacks, your heart will be pumping but not so much that you need to stop very often. The view is wonderful & as it’s a mostly shaded path through the woods it can be done on even hot days. I recommend parking in the heritage house lot rather than taking the trail from the visitor center & just stopping by that after the hike.

Steady climb up. Lots of switchback but a great trail. Very we maintained. Ton of people out- kids and puppies included. It is a good bit of cardio and is not a light walk. Proper footwear is encouraged . The overlook platform is very nice. We climbed a little past that on the rocks. This is only suggested if you are confident in your skills and have proper shoes on. There’s a lot of climbers utilizing this as well. Moderate is a good rating.

quick hike, and a must see.

Great view from top! Nice, steady 1.5 mile climb to top. Gravel path entire way up, with switchbacks and some steps. Moderate rating is accurate, despite gravel path, due to steep grade up. Watch footing at top in wet (slippery) conditions.

Great view from top...

Excellent hike and fantastic views. Take some time to go in the staffed center at the trail head. Interesting stuff in there including a 3-D model of the surrounding topography. Carry a camera and binoculars to enhance the hike.

Did this hike with the dog and kids and was a really great time. The views are awesome when you get to the top, if in the area definitely give it a try.

Nice hike up the mountain. Not terribly difficult from what I remember up to the observation deck. Basically a series of switchbacks that are rather gradual. Beyond the observation deck is pretty tricky and isn't for the faint of heart. Did this as a 16-year-old and I still can't believe I did the rock scrambling at the top. I'm terrified of exposed heights and the tops is very very much so exposed heights. Lots of potential for falling if you aren't careful.

Beautiful place for a day trip.

Great views from the top! Many crowded switchbacks on the way up and down.

Steady, gradual switchbacks up to the top. Views are lovely, will definitely be back with rock climbing gear next time around.

The trail it's self is kinda boring. Just a bunch of steep switch backs, but the view at the end makes up for it :) do not take small children or rowdy pets to the top beyond the platform.

Iconic WV hike.