Learn more

Seneca Creek Trail is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Riverton, West Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 757 feet Route Type: Out & Back

flooded

Arrived to the trail via a larger backpacking loop on Huckleberry/ Lumberjack/ High Meadows trails. Did about 2.5 miles in Seneca creek trail, camped in one of the campsites next to the creek along the trail. It rained hard all night and the small waterfall where we were was significantly higher in the morning. Nearly enough water to flood into the campsite, luckily I was hammock camping and had a bit more wiggle room. In the morning we tried to continue down the trail but the high water completely blocked/ covered or washed out the trail. It’s not very well blazed so there was no way to tell the best way to follow the trail. Had to go off-trail for a about a mile to connect back up to the trail system and get back. The actual trail was great including a few cool river crossings and some nice waterfalls. Just be aware of camping near the creek during times it might rain a lot and of using the trail after a rainstorm

A relaxing, not too difficult hike through beautiful forest.

flooded

Not too difficult hiking except for traversing the various streams and crossings (including one crossing which was deep/wide enough to warrant removing our hiking boots to cross barefoot). The waterfalls were nothing extraordinary for our hike but obviously depend on the rainfall prior to you hiking. This hike took us about 3.5 hours in total.

flooded

So I’ve had AllTrails for a few years now and never felt the need to review a hike before. But this one was so much fun I think I have to. First off, prepare to get wet. The trail has several water crossings but none of them were sketchy. We must have passed over 10 different waterfalls of varying sizes, each one seemed better than the next. This hike was a ton of fun and is a 5 star hike all day.

bridge out

several creek crossing depending on the rain they can get a little harry after you get to Judy springs over all pretty easy hike unless the water is up great hike beautiful scenery especially if you like waterfalls

There are some creek crossings so good shoes are a must. The rest of the trail is easy. We saw someone doing a trail run, I would love to do that also. Beautiful trail, wide in many places, easy to follow, gorgeous scenery. Lots of trail systems in the area. We are going to go backpacking there with our children. Well worth the time. One of the prettiest places I've been in WV!

Awesome trail! Did this trail for my first overnight backpacking trip, and brought my fly rod along too. Lots of scenery changes throughout the trail, and all of them were gorgeous. There were plenty of places to camp, and the fishing was great! One of new favorite trails!

Great trail and awesome camping and even better fishing. Caught around 100 native brook and rainbow trout between two of us. When the trail ends at the big waterfall do not attempt to go any further on the old 515 fire road. It’s washed out and impassible. We did it and almost died a couple times. Very dangerous. Just walk out and back.

I went in the middle of July and the trail was practically washed out. The stream was also very high which led to some interesting crossings (I think there were 6 total?), but the trail is great for backpacking because there are large campsites about every 0.25 mile. Bugs are always a big thing during the summer months, so be ready for that! Other than that, there isn’t much of an incline or really technical parts. It’s great for an easy day out.

Amazing!!

Very muddy close to Judy Springs. Very easy trail. Took my 9yo for overnight, had great time. Plenty of campsites and water. The trail has a very slight grade.

Terrific trail along the creek. Your shoes will get wet—-you have to cross rivulets here and there, as well as the creek.

Tue Jun 25 2019

This is a great trail to take a new backpacker for a first overnight trip. Very well maintained and marked trail. Beautiful waterfalls. A lot of nice campsites near the water. Steady grade. My dogs love all the swimming holes also!

Fri Oct 12 2018

Have hiked and backpacked all over this watershed, and fished Seneca Ck for nearly 40 years, now. Without question, this is God's country, any season. Be prepared, take your time, and ENJOY!