Red Creek Trail

Red Creek Trail is a 12.3 mile out and back trail located near Davis, West Virginia that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,689 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I wouldn’t follow my track. I got lost a couple of times.

Great hike but hard to follow. Unable to cross over stream due to high water so it cut down on the trail time. Beautiful path when you are able to stay on path, will definitely be back with waterproof boots!

This trail is actually 14 miles in total. Challenging day hike that took 7 hours. Heading in is the hardest as you climb up, up, and up some more. Climb over rocks, roots, and hike along the river all the way to the end. And then enjoy a much deserved descent as you return back from the halfway point. Beautiful river and vistas throughout this trail. The rock cairns were helpful when crossing the river.

A northern section was badly flooded recently, with about a mile of the trail mostly under water, sometimes a foot or more deep. The worst was just south of Beaver Dam Trail. I think I saw a beaver lodge in the area which might explain the flooding.

nice trail, be ready to do some crossings across the creek. I found the trail was relatively well marked.

This was one of the hardest hikes I have ever completed. Took us 8 hours to finish in which we ended up on rohrbaugh and wildlife trails to make it to the 75 access road. Markers were not very well placed causing us to go off the trail in which we had to back track ourselves and using our instincts. Rock cairns were very helpful and much appreciated.

Thu Oct 18 2018

Trail is great. For people complaining that it is not maintained. Its called back country!!!

Wed Aug 15 2018

amazing spots to chill

Thu Aug 02 2018

The creek itself is pretty. The trail is not well maintained. It is muddy and slippery. I wanted to like it more than I did. I was glad I did the hike but will probably not be going back.

Thu Jul 05 2018

Red Creek is a great hike. I did this with a friend as part of a three day/two night Dolly Sods trip. As with many of the trails in the Dolly Sods be careful to stay on trail— at times it is easy to get sidetracked. There are some spectacular campgrounds along the upper parts of this trail. We stayed at one with a waterfall that was perfect to sit under after a tough day of hiking.

Wed Jun 27 2018

I love this place

Fri Jun 22 2018

I’ve been going to Dolly Sods for many years, and absolutely love it ❤️

Sat Aug 26 2017

Be prepared to get muddy and wet. Lots of bogs and mud everywhere! I forget which trails exactly in Dolly Sods but you will cross some creeks. Some have stepping rocks, some don't! These trails are insanely beautiful but very difficult in most areas due to the terrain.

Sun Jul 30 2017

The trails are tough and demanding... the amount of trash left here is blasphemy.

Sun Feb 19 2017

Great trail. Lots of camping spots along the river. Can't wait to come back once the weather warms up.

Wed Feb 15 2017

Amazing even in February! Lots of creek crossings and changes in terrain! Couldn't make the loop because we would have had to cross the raging river! Definitely will return.

Tue Dec 06 2016

Really rocky even in the flat sections. Lost the trail at the first real creek crossing but eventually found it again.

Mon Sep 12 2016

This is an outstanding backpack trail, beware high volume. Be sure to combat hi pH, as the water you'll be drinking is quite acidic... Some route finding/navigation skills are needed at lower elevation, especially when at crossings... no blazes and VERY FEW cairns to rely on. Do yourself a favor and bring a 24K topo.

Wed Jun 01 2016

It's an ideal outing when the weather cooperates.