Wildcat Ridge Trail

Wildcat Ridge Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hernshaw, West Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I liked this one. I believe it’s one of the most well marked trails I’ve been on in KSF. It was a HIKE to get to the top of the ridge (about a mile all uphill), but it was a very nice walk once you get to the top! We only hiked about two miles out and turned around for a total of four miles. The trail did continue pass where we turned.

We did this while there was snow on the ground. It was a vigorous hike but not too bad. We did this with the Girls Who Hike WV group.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Only did about half this trail as we connected to it through Polly Trial. A semi-steep descent through the woods

Friday, August 02, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed this hike and incorporated it into an extended trip via the many gas well access roads that dot the area. A word of caution though, some of the trails at KSF are not well marked and most of the access roads are remote and DO NOT appear on the park maps or on Alltrails.com. I particularly enjoyed the walk along Wildcat Ridge. We encountered a turkey and lots of bear scat but no bears. The trail covers everything from boggy hollows to breezy ridgetops.

Friday, April 14, 2017