Overlook Rock Trail

Overlook Rock Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Charleston, West Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Should be listed as moderate, would be a great trail for the fall but still worth doing in the summer

I’m not sure I would say this is easy... most of the out part is uphill. But good thing there’s plenty of room to rest on the “overlook rock” cause I was beat once I got to the top!

Nice trail. Would be great in the fall. As others have said, this is not an easy trail it definitely should be listed as a moderate. If you venture off the trail a little 100 ft. , to the top of the mountain, you can see some better ridge line views. (The location I paused on my recording is where I went on up the mountain a little)

Terribly marked. Fun walk in the woods, not much of a trail after 10 minutes. Lots of thorns. Steep inclines.

great trail. Mostly uphill, Steep. lots of rocks and trees to rest on. 1/4 of a mile after passing the over look vegetation becomes thick. Took an 11yr old and a 14 yr old. kids had fun ( a little challenging for the little one, but he loved it). We encountered a Timber Rattle snake. It was a beauty. I give it 5. looks like a stream runs next to it in certain spots but it was dry when we went.

More moderate than easy, but worth it. Good for kids - not too long and good variety - stream, woods and rocks

This has been one of our favorite trails since moving to WV. My son has been hiking it since he was five. During mushroom season, the variety of fungi is amazing in the woods along the trail!

Not a bad hike but I wouldn't say it's easy. The park map lists it as moderate and that's a much better description. It's more of a hike than just a walk in the park.

good trip with friends and the dogs

Not easy! My kids struggled with steep terrain and lots of huge trees to climb over. Beautiful though!!

It was a great hike but there was a lot of trees had to climb over not good for kids

I absolutely love this trail! I come to Kanawha State Forest often and this is a stop every time. It is definitely not an easy hike, so be warned. I would say moderate to difficult, as most of it is straight up a steep hill. It does make a nice loop, which is great for people like me who hate backtracking on hikes.

If you are coming to this trail for the overlook, I recommend beginning at the first entrance to the trail (not the one at the bow range). To find it, enter the forest by the main road. Go just past the turn-off to the pool and park in the small, unmarked gravel lot on the left. A sign across the road marks the entrance to Overlook trail. From there, it is a short 15 minute hike (about half a mile) straight up to the overlook. The rock at the top provides a great spot for photos, a quick picnic, or just resting after the climb. For a casual hiker looking for a quick hike with a rewarding view at the end, this is the best way to go - as long as you are in shape.

From there, your options are to go back down the way you came, or to continue along the rest of the trail (about a mile). In summer, I do not recommend continuing this way for the casual hiker, as the underbrush is quite heavy along a lot of the trail (this means briers and poison ivy). This half of the trail is not as difficult, but I do find the overgrowth unpleasant. This half of the trail is not as heavily traveled which probably contributes to this. However, it is a nice hike in other seasons, and when you come out the other end, it is a very short walk along the main road to get back to your car.

I've done this one a couple of times. Always a fun time with a great view, but definitely a little challenging to get there. I don't know who ranked this as easy!

nice little hike, overlook a bit overgrown due to summer leaves, but a cool , quiet spot to have a sit for a while!

some steep spots, there was a little bit of briers, but having a set of hiking poles thwarted both!

if you are stayin in Charleston for work like I am and want to get away, this is a good option.

Parking is at an area setup for archery practice , so its a good landmark.
cheers!

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Great trail should be rated moderate.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Nice Trail with some views

Sunday, March 05, 2017

fun trail great for kids , nice views easy hiking

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Great view

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Some storms have taken down some trees. The elevation is not bad for such a small trail, but it's not a hiker's challenge. Going up the draw instead of going down was more fun and difficult though.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Overall a nice scenic hike. It's a little difficult at times if hiking with kiddos (4 and 5 yo) just because some parts are steeper and rocky but really isn't that bad. Half way in there's a large briar patch you have to go through which kinda sucked and is the reason I only gave it four stars. Overlook rock and the more open parts on the ridge were definitely worth it however.

Monday, August 05, 2013

This is an enjoyable walk with a moderate climb to begin. The trail levels out and follows a ridge before descending back to the valley floor. This is probably the most scenic and enjoyable trail in KSF.