Otter Creek Trail

Otter Creek Trail is a 15.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Harman, West Virginia and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,693 feet Route Type: Loop

Went a few years ago. We didn’t do full loop cut some of it off. Loved camping near the creek. Some trails at the were hard to find we used the gps watch to help.

A modified loop of the original..Took my time doing some trail clearing..All trails are easy to follow..Green Mountain and Possession trails was pretty overgrown.. For some reason app. stopped tracking for a short time on beginning of morning #2 so mileage is a little off .. Hopefully get back and do some more trail work on remaining part of Green Mountain Trail.. They are starting to get some signs up at trail intersection but I can understand being as far in that they have to carry them..

I did part of the trail with my 7 year old. There were no trail makers that I could see, however it was pretty clear where the trail was until you get to the meadow and the creek. At that point it was getting late and we decided to turn around rather than try and find where the trail continued. It had thunderstormed over the weekend and was very muddy, but since we followed feeder streams much of the trail, it's likely muddy all summer. We did have fun playing in the streams and finding snakes, toads, crawdads, salamanders, and tons of butterflies. The portion we did was a pretty easy hike.

Sun Aug 26 2018

Very Beautiful Wilderness. But it is very Rugged and disappointing that there is not some trail maintenance. Trails are not marked but have rock cairns sometimes to far apart. The trail can be very difficult to follow at times due to blow downs and Mountain Laurel overtaking the trail. I would recommend bringing Machete to blaze some new trails. Be prepared to get muddy and I would be careful after heavy rain because otter creek can become to swift to cross. I do not recommend this trail to Novice Hikers and someone that does not have a topo map and or GPS in addition to Wilderness survival Skills because It is real possible to get into a very bad Situation out there if you are not prepared.

Sat Aug 04 2018

love this trail easy hike , beautiful views not super busy. Great fly-fishing in otter creek , lots if native trout. mostly single track . I have been here many times.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Wed Jul 11 2018

This is my first review, so forgive me if it's too much: The plotted trail includes 4 trails. 3 of the 4 trails need heavy maintenance/rerouting to be enjoyable. You start off on Mylius Trail (the only trail that doesn't need maintenance currently), then take a right at intersection to continue onto Shavers Mountain Trail. This trail was hard to follow due to the overgrown vegetation and lack of blazes. From there you hit the intersection of Green Mountain Trail which continues to be overgrown with Rhododendrons which make following the trail a huge challenge. We camped just past the intersection of Green Mtn Trail and Possession trail. Great camp site with water source nearby. The next day we continued on Green Mtn Trail. This was a little better vegetation wise, but still some areas were hard to follow the trail. If it had not been for muddy footprints, I am sure we would have been off the trail for quite some time. You then run into Otter Creek Trail. This was a nice open trail for a ways, it winds along the creekside and crosses many times (5, if i remember correctly NOTE: The book we had said 4 crossings) The Ford crossings on the upper part of the trail were clearly marked with cairns, the water was swift and refreshing. There were many areas where the trail had been completely washed out. Areas, where you literally had to hold onto the roots of the trees above you so you did not fall 20ft into the creek bed below. The lower part of Otter Creek Trail is very boggy. There was one part where we opted to walk through knee high vegetation to the right of the trail and discovered what Stinging Nettles were... oops. You then turn left onto Mylius trail again, which is comprised of following mostly dried up and boggy areas until you head up in elevation again to the Intersection of Shaver Mountain trail and Mylius, where you continue down Mylius to the trailhead. I would suggest rethinking this trail if you are looking for an easy trail. If you are up for the challenge and have a GPS and some sort of non-cellular mobile communication device for emergencies, then I would say go for it. I will try to upload some photos from the trail at a later time.

Sun Dec 31 2017

Beautiful and challenging. Definitely backcountry! You’ll definitely be fording some creeks, so I don’t really recommend dogs on this trail if they’re not comfortable swimming against a strong current. It can get dangerous real quick. So many amazing species of flora, lots of awesome camping spots set up between the trails. This loop gets quite messy when it rains.

Tue Jul 04 2017

Great hike - looking forward to go back with more time to explore the area. we had enough time to snag a geocache.

Sun Oct 16 2016

This trail is a wonderful walk back in time to view nature relatively undisturbed.

Thu Oct 06 2016

I have hike the trail 20+ times. Awesome, easy trail. Good places to camp. But, careful for 1) sunning timber rattlesnakes, and 2) high water in the spring or summer (after a big rain).

Sun Jul 06 2014

Make a great 9 mile loop by starting at Condon Trailhead (at the termini of forest road 303) Hike the loop counter clockwise by way of Hedrick Camp trail - Shavers Mountain- Mylius Trail - and finishing on Otter Creek southbound back to the trailhead. And be sure to enjoy some swimming holes along Otter Creek before wrapping up!

Mon Oct 21 2013

great trail! you can swim you can camp you can just day hike it. mostly flat

Thu Jul 12 2007

We hiked the Lower Otter Creek trail and never made the loop up the Mt. It was a beautiful trek in and out, the river was very cold but the views were so outstanding we stayed riverside. I had my 12 yr old Boy Scout with me and he had no problem with the trail. We are going back in a few weeks to climb the Mt.