Learn more

North Bend Park Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(27)
North Bend State Park

North Bend Park Trails is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cairo, West Virginia that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,138 feet Route Type: Loop

I thought the trail was well maintained. In much better shape than other trails I’ve hiked.

It was a nice trail for a hot minute. Then it quickly became evident that no one maintains the Barton Lake Trail at the Cokeley campground entrance. Ticks and overgrown trails.

This is my favorite dog walking trail, especially early in morning because it’s always free of people!. It’s a moderate hike. Nice views, rivers, lakes, small creek crossings. I started at the Jughandle day use area. We walked around the dam following blue blazes, along the rocky ridge line to the top of the dam. Then followed blue/red across the meadow up to the lake overview. Follow red blazes through the forest down to the creek. Then yellow blazes a short way back to the river and around the dam road. 2.6 miles. We did detour to play in the river at the end. Saw lots of squirrels and 3 deer.

Some trails was marked well and cleared. Barton’s lake trail at the top of the hill at cokeley campground was pretty much impassable!

The listing for this trail and descriptions are confusing because the loop described is actually called “Nature Trail” and there are multiple other trails at North Bend. There are sections of the Nature Trail that are relatively easy but overall I would rate it as moderate because of some steep grades and areas with challenging footing.

We started in Cairo, WV for our ride on this VERY remote, rural. The crushed stone trail was decent and there were so many small bridges and tunnels. The tunnels were quite crude and sometimes creepy

Love this trail my daughter and I biked it this summer supper relaxing not Strenuous

great trail

Sat Jan 19 2019

I biked this trail in June and it’s very doable. The hills are minimal. The trail includes old train tunnels; they are eerie but impressively historic. The trail also passes through a small, quaint town which also contains a lot of history.

Sun Jul 15 2018

We bikes the rail trail beside the loop trail. We took the right path leading 5 miles into Ellensboro. You get to pass through three tunnels along the way. We went in 90 degree weather, but the trail provided much shade to keep us cool. It was our first biking experience, and it persuade us to bike more trails.

Sat Jun 16 2018

Enjoyed the Rail Trail but it was very busy with bikers. I think the trail would be more enjoyable for bikers than hikers. The scenery is beautiful.

Sat May 18 2019