Maryland Heights Loop

Maryland Heights Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Scenic overlook, civil war fortifications, moderate to strenuous climb. History combined with beauty! This is a hike over well-marked trails with many interpretive signs along the way. There are some steep climbs and some rocky terrain. The hike features a spectacular overlook of Harpers Ferry and the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. However, it doesn't come easily. The hike also includes much history. The trail passes remains of fortifications built by the Union forces in 1862 after their defeat at Harpers Ferry. There are ammunition pits, breastworks, powder magazines, and gun batteries along the trail. The remains of the main fort are at the summit of Maryland Heights.

This is one tough hike. But well worth it. The views at the top of the mountain is beautiful. It overlooks the town of harpers ferry. I hike it at least once a month. A must do

I thought I was in shape until I walked this "moderate" trail. How wrong I was! This is one of the most strenuous trails I have done in months. The overlook at the top was beautiful & well worth the photos I was able to get... but I would have prepared more for the walk if I had known just how difficult it was going to be. Take lots of water.

This trail is NOT moderate. It is strenuous, but worth every step. stunning vista view is your reward for a challenging climb.

Great hiking!

I went in the afternoon on a Thursday. Parking is difficult near the trailhead, but I waited about five minutes and somebody finished s joke and moved their car. This is a great work out, which is why it’s one of my favorite local hikes. But the mileage is confusing. Is it 2+ miles to the Overlook the most direct way? Not sure. But I completed it in about an hour and a half -spent half an hour admiring the amazing view of the “toy” town of Harpers Ferry at the confluence of the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers! Especially lovely in the spring when the redbuds have blossomed and trees are turning that vivid Spring Green!

great hike

Easy/moderate. Pretty good views but can be SUPER crowded on weekends. Parking is a bitch. But the trail itself isn’t too bad. Will be back there again

Wonderful hike! My daughter and I completed the 4.3 loop and found it challenging but enjoyable. It is quite steep but if you enjoy the beauty of the woods with occaisional glimpses of the river you will like this hike.

First 30 to 40 minutes steep climb to the Civil War era Union fort is strenuous. But once you reach there its all flat and down hill to the overlook. Great workout, great views and interesting history.
I was able to park at trail head due to coming here early on a weekday. Did not see anyone at top .. which was awesome!

We found this walking/ hiking trail tiring and exhausting but it’s worth it once we reached the cliff .. beautiful views of Harpers Ferry town and surrounding rivers..

I would rate this trail as hard, not moderate, because it is steep the entire way up and it doesn’t level out much at any place, but the view at the end is totally worth it! Not a trail for the faint of heart. Also, I would recommend bringing extra water bottles!

Great work out!

GREAT climb. challenging for first hike of the year...but so glad we did it. Harper's ferry appears like a model train set from that high up. We both said Wow!

Very well established trail. Great vista with beautiful view of Harpers Ferry. More crowded than I would have liked.

Great hike with some good altitude gain. I recommend going counterclockwise in order to get the views into Harpers Ferry earlier in the day so photos avoid the sun in your face. Then move up to the north part of the hike in order to enjoy great easterly views for lunch.

Great hike! The loop is not quite as loop-like as I was hoping. But the overlook is beautiful! Would do again!

Nice scenic walk. Lots of people on nice weekend days...

Lots of uphill hiking! The views are spectacular and I loved the signs explaining the history of the area.

Great trail !! I did the trail in the fall !

Great hike with views all the way up and down. Good incline on way up. Somewhat rocky, nice hike with dogs

also saw a military plane/jet similar to an "osprey" fly perpendicular with the ridge line extremely low to the ground, wicked sight.

This trail is great! It’s well marked and a great workout. One of my favorites!

Had a great time on this trail. Challenging climb in the beginning but worth it once you’re at the top! Plenty of historical sites & views to check out before you begin your decent. Did this in early February so it was a bit cold & windy. Would suggest folks make sure to have a windproof shell or other outer layer to stay comfortable when the wind picks up.

Steep climb but ohhh so worth the views!!!

One of my all time favorites.

Enjoyable...the extra hike to the fort at the top was tough but an great day hike.

Great hike, even for beginners. Even after a snowfall.

Great views. Went in 2016.

Harpers Ferry is one of my favorite places to visit when you just want to get out and get your heart rate up a little. Great trail with a pretty decent payoff via a sweeping view of Harpers Ferry and the Potomac/Shenendoah Rivers. The fall is my favorite time of the year with the leaves changing and fog hanging down low on the mountian tops. ...good history in this area as well.

Fantastic view of Historic Harpers Ferry. It was good to go early because we came off the rock at 10 am and say at least a hundred people on our way down.

highly recommended for family outing