Lower Otter Creek Loop Trail

Lower Otter Creek Loop Trail is a 20.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hendricks, West Virginia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from October until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We went for an overnight backpacking trip this weekend, expecting snow and rain.We got halfway up green mountain right before the plateau and the trees were so overgrown we had to crawl to keep on the trail. Finally got near the plateau and the trees were so close together that a human body could not push through. I wonder when the last time anyone maintained this route. The creek was beautiful and we had a good time camping despite not being able to finish the trail due to overgrown plants.

secluded narrow wet

Completed this trail in December 2017 as a one night backpacking trip. Overall a nice trail. Not too taxing, and some decent vistas at the apex of the climb. The trail is overgrown in places, so be prepared to deal with some possibly wet foliage. Navigation was mildly tricky in a few spots, but less than obvious turns are pretty consistently marked with either cairns or, in a couple of spots, orange paint.

Great trail, definitely going back in the summer. Ì went 11/11/17 . Started at 9:40am finished at 6:20pm. Did all 20 miles, started at the suspension bridge off rt 72. Made my way down to the fork in the trail (left will take you up the mountain, right will take you along the creek). Ì took the creek way where you have to walk across the creek 4 times. After Ì crossed the 4th time Ì was 8 miles into the trail and headed up the mountain. The trail up the mountain wasn’t bad, just steep, but going down was rough on my knees due to the loose rocks. But Ì made it back down to the fork and headed back to my jeep. Ìf you’re planning on doing this in a day Ì suggest bringing : a head lamp: sandals : extra socks : waterproof case for your phone : and your basic hiking necessities. Ì had no service at all, but this app did track my location on the trail the whole time.

We hiked 16 miles of this trail starting at Mylius trail head. Shavers Mountain and Green Mountain trails were so overgrown with Rhododendrons that you couldn't see the step in front of you. Very difficult and technical. Wear pants. Walk through tons of briars, poison ivy and black raspberry vines. Walked or rather ran by a rattlesnake. Best part was Otter Creek when we could see it and the trails take you back and forth over the creek at least 6 times. I attached a pic of the rattlesnake. Also saw bear tracks. No signs or numbers on trails. Only carins to guide you on occasion.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I love this trail. So much to see and the scenery is amazing. Great hike.

Sunday, July 09, 2017