Loudoun Heights Trail to Split Rock

Loudoun Heights Trail to Split Rock is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This high ground was occupied by Confederate general John George Walker during the Battle of Harpers Ferry, September 12-September 15, 1862. Loudoun Heights was also the site of a night attack made on January 10, 1864, by Col. John S. Mosby's Rangers against Major Henry A. Cole's 1st Potomac Home Brigade Maryland Volunteer Cavalry. Mosby's attack failed and ended a long run of engagements between Mosby's Rangers and Cole's Cavalry. The Battle of Loudoun Heights was a small cavalry skirmish during the American Civil War between John Mosby's Rangers and Major Henry A. Cole's 1st Potomac Home Brigade Maryland Cavalry on January 9, 1864, in Loudoun County, Virginia. Cole's Cavalry successfully defended a night raid against their camp on Loudoun Heights. The fight was one of the first engagements in which Union forces held their own against Mosby's vaunted partisans.

Trail is not marked well. There are plenty of blazes along the trail to mark the path, but knowing which ones to follow is the confusing part. We parked off of Shenandoah Street in the public parking lot (which we found out costs $10 to park in). Our 6 mile hike turned into a 10 mile one as we followed the white blazes on the trees. The trail starts with white blazes, however, apparently you’re supposed to take a left when you see the orange blazes instead of continuing to follow the white ones. We didn’t see any signs to tell you this, nor are there any signs along the trail. Once we did find the correct path, we were very pleased with the view. Now that I know which way to go, I’d do the hike again. It is steep, so don’t be expecting an easy hike.

The view from Split Rock is worth the trip. We decided to head out early, before sun up, which afforded us some amazing pics of the sunrise. It had the added bonus having the trail not be busy. The initial ascent is moderately difficult for someone like me who does not hike as much as he would like. The actual orange trail was easy to find at this time and opposed to some other reviews. I'm assuming they corrected the issue. I would warn that about 0.2 miles before the actual orange trail there are several trees off to the left with orange ribbon. I don't know if it serves another purpose, remnants of the original trail, or an unsafe "joke" by some near do well hikers. Hopefully someone will fix that. Also, keep in mind that many trees have lichens on them that can appear like the faded white or blue blazes that are a part of the trail as well. All in all we managed 2.5mph with full packs which I was very happy with and came away with some great pictures.

Overall this hike was nice but not marked very well at all. A 6.6 mile hike turned into 10 because even with gps I got lost and turned around several times. Parked in the lot at Harpers Ferry, had to pay 10.00 for parking. It is a 1.5 to the actual trail. First 1.5 on trail was steep then tapered off. I usually hike Maryland Heights so it was nice getting a different view.

Wonderful view from Split Rock. Also quite surprised with the two rocks along the trail that look like very out of place along the way to split rock. It was almost as impressive as the view from the top.

Fun hike with decent views east down the Potomac. Also pick up a little of the Appalachain Trail, it was fun to see the through hikers.

Fun hike. Enjoyed the walk across the bridge over the Shenandoah and it's also part of the Appalachian Trail. You wind down under the bridge and then start heading up for awhile. It's a good climb but without much to look at. I did it with my chocolate lab and we reached the overlook in about an hour and a half. Great views from up there, a very solid payoff rewarding your efforts.

Not my favorite -- terrible bugs. But the overlook is still really neat so I think if you are in the area, it is worth a trek!

The overlooks are amazing.

This is an easy to follow trail and is a good mix of up, down and flat. The first 1.5 miles is moderately difficult with a quick altitude gain. Once that section is in the rear view, it's a quick trip to the overlook. Last week we did the Maryland Heights overlook. Today, it was fun to look across the river and see that overlook and to see the veil from a different vantage point.

Nice trail with great view at the end. You can park off Chestnut Hill Road and pick up the trail there if you want a shorter hike.

Nice hike. Good view with less people then Maryland Heights. Parking is definitely limited

wish they had the orange mark better,at top 1.9marker we stopped 2 c how we missed mark.met a lot of people at top that did also.we did the 6.something mile.nice and a river to go swim n.

I would rate it moderately difficult simply for the length of the climbs. It's a good workout. No wild flowers really unfortunately and this time of year (June) the views are scarce and less than spectacular. Pick the right time in the Fall though and this hike is 4 star hike for sure. The Fall foliage will be absolutely beautiful! And Winter (minus the leafy canopy) will offer more peaks at the rivers and Harpers Ferry.

Great trail!

Where was the waterfall????Pretty hike and beautiful vistas but the description mentioned a waterfall and we had 4 disappointed kids.

This is a moderate to difficult trail, mostly depending on the weather and experience. Novice hikers can do the trail without much of a problem as long as they have enough water, are there when there are a lot of other hikers (better to know where you are and where you are going), and are prepared for some tight trails. I recall going over a few scrabbles and maybe a water crossing or two.

Great trail with scenic vistas. You get a lot of the uphill climb done in the first half. The split rock view at the end is breathtaking and a great spot to chill and eat lunch. Be careful on the return trip with the declines. Rocks can be a little tricky but all in all this is a great trail :).

great hike

This is a beautiful trail with a great view of Harper's Ferry! It's starts out quite steep but levels out as you near the top. This is a fantastic trail for beautiful fall foliage. 