Kaymoor Trail

Kaymoor Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fayetteville, West Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

historic site

A steep hike down to the old kaymore mine. Then once at the mines you will follow an old mine rail trail through various views, waterfalls and cliffs. Be prepared for the walk back!

My family and I enjoyed this trail. However, it is difficult in terms of physical exertion (coming back out). I counted 822 steps on the way out (there are different numbers floating around tho). There are also a few other sets on the trail that would add to that number. If you’re a history buff, you’ll enjoy yourself at the bottom. If not, you may not care as much. We LOVED the nostalgia of walking where miners did almost 100 years ago. At the bottom of the trail, if you take a right, you can see the old coke stove ruins. They are very neat. To the left at the bottom of the trail, you can see the old power house, tipple, and processing plant. Before you start the steps down (after coming out of the woods), you can see the entrance to the old mines on the left. I would recommend this trail to anyone that likes history who is in decent shape. As mentioned above, coming back out is very demanding. Happy hiking!

A bit of a disappointment. There really isn't much to see at the bottom of the steps. At the bottom of the steps are two collapsed buildings and a short metal structure. There are no trail markings indicating where to go. However, if you go to the right and follow the path (carefully) it will lead down to a row of coke ovens over a football field long. If you haven't seen coke ovens before, they are pretty cool. You can view them up close. There are also some signs explaining the area on the way down. Other than that, there's not much to see. I did encounter several people using the trail for fitness/exercise. One guy preparing for an iron man event. Yea, this trail is that tough. At the top of the steps is a carving in the railing indicating 813 steps. However, there are even more steps before you get to those. Plus, a decently steep trail that leads down to all of this. Is the trail worth doing? If you are in decent shape, yes. If for no other reason, do this trail for the bragging rights.

Very enjoyable out-and-back. The sites are worth the effort. We visited in July however, the shade of the canopy kept the hiking cool. I reviewed the history of the area after the fact however, I recommend that you do so in advance of your hike. It will make more sense. I can only assume that a spring or fall hike would allow you to see more of the sites artifacts when the ground cover is not as plush.

One of my favorites in the area! The ruins and history are incredible.

The first part of the hike is a steep walk weaving down the mountain, where you pass a small, pretty waterfall. It levels off before you come to the stairs. There’s plenty to see at this level, like an old mine entrance.

Take the 800 steps to the bottom. There’s lots of cool stuff and structures on either side of the stairs.

The “trail” ends at the bottom, but plenty of people go right at the bottom and explore off the path. If you walk far enough, you can find the ruins of the coke ovens. It’s also possible to get all the way down to the active train tracks and cross to get down to the river, where it’s fun to watch the rafters pass.

LEAVE THE PATH AT YOUR OWN RISK! There are a lot of hidden threats. There are holes, spikes, metal, and more in the area. The old railroad tracks have decayed in a way that’s left a lot of gaps. The active tracks are ACTIVE, and the gravel makes it easy to get stuck. The current of the river is strong.

Please remember to leave no trace. This includes biodegradable items. I keep seeing more and more garbage at the end of this trail.

this was my second time to the mines but first time down the stairs and back to the top. extremely hard trail,but so worth. everyone was great and felt like old friends. we stopped quite a bit to rest and other hikers were very understanding. Southern WV has the greatest people. I encourage others to take the challenge and do this trail. just give e yourself a full day and bring lots of water.

It’s a beautiful trail down into Kaymoor. We went in the dead of heat and still stayed cool on the trail. The way up is tough, but there are plenty of chances for intermission. Don’t let your lack of cardio keep you from enjoying the trail. Don’t rush it! Take your time and enjoy it and reading about the history on the way down.

Very intense but such a cool hike.

Was a hard trail very steep going down to the mine and then you had 800 steps to the bottom , we turn around then and went back up, would like to do it again and go all the way to the bottom just need to start early in the day for this one need time for taking a lot of breaks going back up

✅off my bucket list! Everyone on this trail was so nice.

Great hike all down and state back up !

One of the most remarkable hikes I've ever been on. Don't be discouraged by the stairs.. the ruins at the bottom are amazing and so interesting to see. The buildings were abandoned in the 60s and are now inaccessible to go inside. The top of the trail is incredibly steep at times but it's so worth it. I can't wait to do this again, I love WV!

Great trail but it was to slippery to continue down the rocky steps with my dog safely. But the snow made for some beautiful picture but it trail was very easy to find and parking with a restroom was about 50 yards from the trail head

Great exercise and would only do this once only because you literally do a mountain of stairs only to end up in ruins and then u get to turn it around and walk all the back up a million flights of stairs. It was fun and a unique experience. But if you have dogs make sure they are capable of it bexause it's pretty intense. Hard is the perfect rating for this.

Not for the faint of heart (seriously, you need to be in decent cardio shape and at least slightly athletic)! Very cool historical trail - the mining ruins are pretty awesome especially on an overcast day. Wear good shoes as the trail is steep and easy to roll ankles on. And bring plenty of water. You’ll burn some serious calories if you go to the river and back. Overall pretty fun and you’ll feel majorly accomplished at the end.

I am not in great shape but I’m adventurous and young so I went for it. So I’m a super beginner and didn’t listen to others on how difficult this was. It was daylight when I started and then by the time I finished it was completely dark

We loved this trail! A fairly steep combination of slope, stairs, and rocky path takes you down to the first level of Kaymoor. Here you can explore buildings. A very long and winding staircase takes you down to the bottom level where the mining activity occurred. We were pressed for time and didn't go to the bottom. Warning, it is quite a lot of stairs to get down (and back up!) there! Well worth it.

Pretty steep area at the top of the 800 steps is more interesting than everything at the bottom. The bottoms all fenced off.

Enjoyed the trail. Short, but moderately hard. Keep going to river when trail ends. It's not too much further. Steep climb down and back up from river then the stairs! I slipped about 3 times climbing back up from the river. I would not recommend dogs on this trail due to cliffs and stairs. Waterfall was dry. Great time of year to go, not a lot of traffic. Cool mine ruins. Careful - I got lost for a few minutes because I climbed higher than the ruins, then I could not see them over the rocks. I loved the trail.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Great hike plenty of things to explore. The steps going back up are a demanding but doable.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Rating of difficult is accurate. Bring lots of water. I wouldn't recommend this for small children. Wish there was a clear cut path that extended down the rest of the way to the water. We hiked left down the tracks for about a mile and saw the beautiful waterfall shown in our pictures. This would be a pretty rough hike for a dog also.

Monday, July 24, 2017

tough run. lots and lots of steep uphill and downhill. great run that kept my time up but worth it

Sunday, July 09, 2017

I've been to this trail two times now. Once in the spring and once in the summer. The spring is definitely the best time to visit. The lack of foliage allows a much better view of the old mine equipment and the coke ovens. The Fayette Station side is the easiest access point but is closed due to rock slides. The ranger I talked to said the repair funds have been requested but probably won't be issued until 2018. The mine can be accessed if you begin at the Cunard trailhead as well. The Kaymoor Miners trail is a difficult trail down to the mine. This trail head is located southeast of Fayetteville along Gatewood Rd. Follow the brown NPS signs. If you go during the summer, I would suggest a hiking stick of some sort. You'll want to beat the brush ahead of you to let the non-legged denizens that live there know you're coming.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

My wife and I went to this trail on July 3rd 2017 and it is closed indefinitely due to unstable conditions. Being the curious person I am I had to see for myself. I made it about 200 yards out the trail and the hillside has slipped making it virtually impassable. Really busted my bubble because I was stoked to make it out to the old coal town and look around at the ruins left behind.......BUMMED......

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Physically demanding hike but the trail and steps are well maintained. There is a path behind the town that goes all the way down to the river also.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Absolutely loved this hike, but I'm a sucker for historical sites and old buildings. The stairs were a challenge but definitely doable.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Awesome did the 800 some steps down to the abandoned coal town it was a wonderful time so much beauty there will definitely go back again !

Monday, May 15, 2017

Definitely a challenge. We went on a rainy day and there are several places where you must step down rocks. The rain made the rocks a little slippery in some places, so make sure you have good shoes! The trail had many visitors while we were there and it was not an ideal hiking day, so expect company on a nice weekend.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Short, but grueling hike.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

The waterfall stop is really neat. There's a cool place to observe a cliff side near the waterfall which was beautiful. Once you get down the hill, you are lead to some historic things about mining and such which really take you back in time. Then, you descend quite A BIT of stairs. after the stairs, though, there isn't really much unless you kind of "make" your own path. We walked all the way down the mountain til we reaches railroad tracks. The hike back up the hill was a treacherous workout, but i would do it again simply for the waterfall.