Kaymoor Trail

Kaymoor Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fayetteville, West Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

historic site

A steep hike down to the old kaymore mine. Then once at the mines you will follow an old mine rail trail through various views, waterfalls and cliffs. Be prepared for the walk back!

Pretty steep area at the top of the 800 steps is more interesting than everything at the bottom. The bottoms all fenced off.

Enjoyed the trail. Short, but moderately hard. Keep going to river when trail ends. It's not too much further. Steep climb down and back up from river then the stairs! I slipped about 3 times climbing back up from the river. I would not recommend dogs on this trail due to cliffs and stairs. Waterfall was dry. Great time of year to go, not a lot of traffic. Cool mine ruins. Careful - I got lost for a few minutes because I climbed higher than the ruins, then I could not see them over the rocks. I loved the trail.

Great hike plenty of things to explore. The steps going back up are a demanding but doable.

Rating of difficult is accurate. Bring lots of water. I wouldn't recommend this for small children. Wish there was a clear cut path that extended down the rest of the way to the water. We hiked left down the tracks for about a mile and saw the beautiful waterfall shown in our pictures. This would be a pretty rough hike for a dog also.

tough run. lots and lots of steep uphill and downhill. great run that kept my time up but worth it

I've been to this trail two times now. Once in the spring and once in the summer. The spring is definitely the best time to visit. The lack of foliage allows a much better view of the old mine equipment and the coke ovens. The Fayette Station side is the easiest access point but is closed due to rock slides. The ranger I talked to said the repair funds have been requested but probably won't be issued until 2018. The mine can be accessed if you begin at the Cunard trailhead as well. The Kaymoor Miners trail is a difficult trail down to the mine. This trail head is located southeast of Fayetteville along Gatewood Rd. Follow the brown NPS signs. If you go during the summer, I would suggest a hiking stick of some sort. You'll want to beat the brush ahead of you to let the non-legged denizens that live there know you're coming.

My wife and I went to this trail on July 3rd 2017 and it is closed indefinitely due to unstable conditions. Being the curious person I am I had to see for myself. I made it about 200 yards out the trail and the hillside has slipped making it virtually impassable. Really busted my bubble because I was stoked to make it out to the old coal town and look around at the ruins left behind.......BUMMED......

Physically demanding hike but the trail and steps are well maintained. There is a path behind the town that goes all the way down to the river also.

Absolutely loved this hike, but I'm a sucker for historical sites and old buildings. The stairs were a challenge but definitely doable.