Kaymoor Trail

Kaymoor Trail is a 1.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fayetteville, West Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

historic site

A steep hike down to the old kaymore mine. Then once at the mines you will follow an old mine rail trail through various views, waterfalls and cliffs. Be prepared for the walk back!

It’s a beautiful trail down into Kaymoor. We went in the dead of heat and still stayed cool on the trail. The way up is tough, but there are plenty of chances for intermission. Don’t let your lack of cardio keep you from enjoying the trail. Don’t rush it! Take your time and enjoy it and reading about the history on the way down.

Very intense but such a cool hike.

Was a hard trail very steep going down to the mine and then you had 800 steps to the bottom , we turn around then and went back up, would like to do it again and go all the way to the bottom just need to start early in the day for this one need time for taking a lot of breaks going back up

✅off my bucket list! Everyone on this trail was so nice.

Great hike all down and state back up !

One of the most remarkable hikes I've ever been on. Don't be discouraged by the stairs.. the ruins at the bottom are amazing and so interesting to see. The buildings were abandoned in the 60s and are now inaccessible to go inside. The top of the trail is incredibly steep at times but it's so worth it. I can't wait to do this again, I love WV!

Great trail but it was to slippery to continue down the rocky steps with my dog safely. But the snow made for some beautiful picture but it trail was very easy to find and parking with a restroom was about 50 yards from the trail head

Great exercise and would only do this once only because you literally do a mountain of stairs only to end up in ruins and then u get to turn it around and walk all the back up a million flights of stairs. It was fun and a unique experience. But if you have dogs make sure they are capable of it bexause it's pretty intense. Hard is the perfect rating for this.

Not for the faint of heart (seriously, you need to be in decent cardio shape and at least slightly athletic)! Very cool historical trail - the mining ruins are pretty awesome especially on an overcast day. Wear good shoes as the trail is steep and easy to roll ankles on. And bring plenty of water. You’ll burn some serious calories if you go to the river and back. Overall pretty fun and you’ll feel majorly accomplished at the end.

I am not in great shape but I’m adventurous and young so I went for it. So I’m a super beginner and didn’t listen to others on how difficult this was. It was daylight when I started and then by the time I finished it was completely dark

We loved this trail! A fairly steep combination of slope, stairs, and rocky path takes you down to the first level of Kaymoor. Here you can explore buildings. A very long and winding staircase takes you down to the bottom level where the mining activity occurred. We were pressed for time and didn't go to the bottom. Warning, it is quite a lot of stairs to get down (and back up!) there! Well worth it.

Pretty steep area at the top of the 800 steps is more interesting than everything at the bottom. The bottoms all fenced off.

Enjoyed the trail. Short, but moderately hard. Keep going to river when trail ends. It's not too much further. Steep climb down and back up from river then the stairs! I slipped about 3 times climbing back up from the river. I would not recommend dogs on this trail due to cliffs and stairs. Waterfall was dry. Great time of year to go, not a lot of traffic. Cool mine ruins. Careful - I got lost for a few minutes because I climbed higher than the ruins, then I could not see them over the rocks. I loved the trail.

Great hike plenty of things to explore. The steps going back up are a demanding but doable.

Rating of difficult is accurate. Bring lots of water. I wouldn't recommend this for small children. Wish there was a clear cut path that extended down the rest of the way to the water. We hiked left down the tracks for about a mile and saw the beautiful waterfall shown in our pictures. This would be a pretty rough hike for a dog also.

tough run. lots and lots of steep uphill and downhill. great run that kept my time up but worth it

I've been to this trail two times now. Once in the spring and once in the summer. The spring is definitely the best time to visit. The lack of foliage allows a much better view of the old mine equipment and the coke ovens. The Fayette Station side is the easiest access point but is closed due to rock slides. The ranger I talked to said the repair funds have been requested but probably won't be issued until 2018. The mine can be accessed if you begin at the Cunard trailhead as well. The Kaymoor Miners trail is a difficult trail down to the mine. This trail head is located southeast of Fayetteville along Gatewood Rd. Follow the brown NPS signs. If you go during the summer, I would suggest a hiking stick of some sort. You'll want to beat the brush ahead of you to let the non-legged denizens that live there know you're coming.

My wife and I went to this trail on July 3rd 2017 and it is closed indefinitely due to unstable conditions. Being the curious person I am I had to see for myself. I made it about 200 yards out the trail and the hillside has slipped making it virtually impassable. Really busted my bubble because I was stoked to make it out to the old coal town and look around at the ruins left behind.......BUMMED......

Physically demanding hike but the trail and steps are well maintained. There is a path behind the town that goes all the way down to the river also.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Absolutely loved this hike, but I'm a sucker for historical sites and old buildings. The stairs were a challenge but definitely doable.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Awesome did the 800 some steps down to the abandoned coal town it was a wonderful time so much beauty there will definitely go back again !

Monday, May 15, 2017

Definitely a challenge. We went on a rainy day and there are several places where you must step down rocks. The rain made the rocks a little slippery in some places, so make sure you have good shoes! The trail had many visitors while we were there and it was not an ideal hiking day, so expect company on a nice weekend.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Short, but grueling hike.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

The waterfall stop is really neat. There's a cool place to observe a cliff side near the waterfall which was beautiful. Once you get down the hill, you are lead to some historic things about mining and such which really take you back in time. Then, you descend quite A BIT of stairs. after the stairs, though, there isn't really much unless you kind of "make" your own path. We walked all the way down the mountain til we reaches railroad tracks. The hike back up the hill was a treacherous workout, but i would do it again simply for the waterfall.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Great trail. A little difficult. Definitely explore when you get to the bottom of the stairs. Gorgeous.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Loved this hike. Make sure you are in decent shape for the stairs or go slow.

**do not stop at the end of the trail, walk down the the river and enjoy lunch!**

Friday, March 24, 2017

love this trail, come in from the side for the whole family or for a more difficult challenge come in from the top

Monday, March 20, 2017

This was the very first Trail I ever hiked. It was much more than I had bargained for but it was amazing. Growing up only 30 minutes away from Fayetteville, I never knew any of this was so close by! All of the old historical coal mining equipment, buildings, & signs really do this coal miners daughter's heart good! However, the stairs are a nightmare but it's worth it! I wish I would have hiked earlier in my life because it's become my favorite hobby & there's no place I'd rather be than in the mountains exploring Wild & Wonderful, WV!

PS watch out for snakes! There were at least 3 that I know of that were seen the day we hiked it. & I spotted one for myself in the old buggy sitting outside of the coal mine (which you'll want to get up close to, because it's a natural air conditioner!)

Thursday, October 06, 2016

strenuous hike back up from Kaymoor bottom.