High Falls Trail

High Falls Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glady, West Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy in-and-out trail, 4 miles each way (8 miles round trip), to a beautiful waterfall and swimming hole.

Fun trail to go on, Ì went 11/5/17, about 4 hours round trip. Basically walking up a hill half way then down the hill half way. Easy marked trail with blue diamonds (and yellow rectangles) on the trees. You’ll come to the top on the hill where it forks, left will take you on the Allegheny Trail, and right take you to the High Falls (there are signs). Once you come to the railroad tracks make a right and follow the tracks down stream around a few bends until you come to a train stop and you’re there. Ì suggest reading Scott C’s post down below on how to find it because ì had trouble finding the trail head myself.

I Love this hike. Myself and a couple of friends hiked it last week which was mid to late August and the weather was perfect. Not to hot not to cold, just perfect for a good day hike. The train was there when we got there and the view of the falls was an absolute treasure

Great trail! Went backpacking and slept the night by the falls. Swimming hole under the falls was great!

Hike was great, medium difficulty due to plenty of trip/slip hazards. The water in the river was a good chilled temperature. No one here seemed to mention that there are snakes at the falls, so that was quite the surprise. The group I hiked with was getting ready to swim just below the falls and we happened to spot a snake, and then another and another, etc. I still swam but the rest didn't so that was quite disappointing. Turned out to just be common watersnakes.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

It needs a few more blazes as we had to stop and scan a few times. But this trail was beautiful and well worth the sweat. We were the only ones on the trail today. The oasis of the train stop was great! If you walk along the tracks, be wary of the train during excursion season- the trail gets pretty close.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Great Hike!! Terrible directions ... walked for three miles trying to find the trail head.. once we found the trail head the hike was a blast!!

Monday, October 17, 2016

The directions given by the app are ok...until you start looking for the trail head. My GPS tried to get me to go down some private driveways. The trailhead is right on Beulah Rd on the right. Blink and you will miss it. It is only marked by a small hiking sign about 25' from a wide spot in the road, which is where I parked. The sign at the trail head says .5 miles to High Falls...that is only to the High Falls Trail. The trail is rocky and rooty, so wear some good shoes with ankle support, and a little mucky in some spots. Great hike, with some great views!

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

The trail was great. Well managed. Very few trees down over the trail.

Saturday, July 19, 2014

I did this trail with my 9-year-old son in July 2014. This was his first hike of any length and we did it in just over 2 hours each way. We swam and snorkeled in the spectacular swimming hole at the foot of the falls, and camped just next to the river. Didn't see another person the whole time. Just after we left, around noon on a Wednesday, we heard the tourist train arrive, presumably from Elkins.

Friday, May 09, 2014

My go to early spring trip. Better before mid April when the trains run. Also, if you head upriver, you come to what was a place called "Harper," which has good camping spots and a nice riverside to explore, swim, and fish if the river is down. It is along a RR siding, so there may be RR cars sitting there, which is kinda cool, and there are springs nearby to get fresh water.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Not as spectacular as Blackwater Falls but beautiful. A must see.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Great trip

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Go for it!! Great Swimming holes reward you!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016