Greenbrier River Trail

Greenbrier River Trail is a 77 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Cass, West Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

rails trails

Rode 26 miles of the trail over the weekend and have to say it was probably the worst trail that I have ridden.

We road from the northern trail head in Cass on Saturday, and then headed south from Marlinton on Sunday. There was one location of less than a quarter mile where it seemed to have been maintained - more for hiking than for biking as it was a combination of so much gravel that it was like biking on sand then in the same stretch there were large stones better for keeping a pickup from sinking than for biking.

Much of the trail was a pair of tire grooves spaced about the width of a pickup truck, with weeds growing in between. There was little evidence that trail - the riding surface - had been maintained in a few years. In a couple of areas the trail was barely visible through the freshly mowed lawns.

And, it's a state park? So, are we to assume that there is an annual maintenance budget??

Maybe the sections of the trail further south are better for biking.

Easy walk

Enjoyed a brisk 6 mike hike early morning on June 22, 2018 from Stony Bottom to Cass.

Great trail and would rate as easy. Would like to go back and bike the trail. We did about 6 miles and then turned back. Great scenery and wild life . We saw 3 deer one of the does had a fawn. My wife almost stepped on a copperhead that was crossing the trail. It was a small one and looked like it just had killed a mouse and was on his way to eat the catch. Would highly recommend the trail.

my wife and I spent our honeymoon riding this Trail on our bikes.

i haven't been to this trail in many years, me and my family did this trail in 3 days total on bike, i would recommend to bring enough supplies with you for this, also no cell service from what i remember. its a great adventure but be prepared..

Hiked the entire trail in three days. Cass to Marlinton, Marlinton to Rorer, Rorer to Caldwell. Tracked over 80 miles with GPS. Picked up a few geocaches along the way. Very nice trail, would do it again!

Easy trail to walk or bike. Beautiful river views. Walked only a 4-mile section but want to return and do more.

beautiful ride

Saturday, February 25, 2017

I had the whole trail to myself this morning. Very peaceful and wonderful views. Want to come back and run all 77mi

Friday, July 22, 2016

We rode Cass to Marlinton day 1, Marlinton to Renick day 2 only rode 57 miles of trail lower part was washed out by flood. The trail is in good shape despite the rain they have had lots of river views, Deer, saw 4 Black bears while riding, has bridges and 2 tunnels, a couple of swimming spots along the way.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

This is a beautiful trail with plenty of beautiful views of the river and surrounding mountains. We biked about 70 miles over two or three days while camping at Watonga State Park.

paddle sports
Monday, April 14, 2014

I paddled down the river and absolutely loved it. Beautiful trails, water and scenery. All and all one of the better trails I have gone on

Sunday, December 01, 2013

The trail is in really nice condition most all 77 miles. The campsites were elevated off the ground, which was really nice actually except that it was a sort of concrete slab. My tent had to be supported by rocks since I couldn't use picks.

Other than that, beautiful scenery and even ran into a few bears on my bike ride.

Friday, June 15, 2012

Love the trail. It its awesome for bikers, hikers and horse backriding. I like the camp sites.
We did a few miles today, and plan to do portions of the trails in a time until we cover all of 77 miles.
It is easy for all who do it, and how they do it.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016