Elakala to Yellow Birch Trail

Elakala to Yellow Birch Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Davis, West Virginia that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 393 feet Route Type: Loop

icy

Overall nice trail. Great markings. Ricky and a lot of roots and mud so watch your footing. A bit of an easy hike, we extended it and added more trails in to make a loop trail. There are a lot of trails that cross each other. Nice woods hike but not very strenuous... ended up doing about 8 miles total.

Beautiful views with a rocky and rooty trail!

So I didn’t really follow the trail above completely. My husband and I walked from the lodge to the falls outlook and discovered after crossing the bridge what looked like a path to the falls so we took it. It’s not a state park path but it’s pretty well defined, however once you get to the bottom of the falls you can get a little creative and work your way down for another set of falls below the ones you can see from the bridge. . I would not recommend it for young children as it is slippery, but it is beautiful if you are able. There is also what looks like the start of a trail on the side of the bridge closer to the lodge and I know people have used it as I saw rock stackings on the other side of the river, but I would not recommend using it if you come along it. We started to and at one point it started to feel like we were stepping on webs of roots and leaves rather than actually ground and decided to go back. I think you could get seriously hurt going that way so please don’t attempt even though it seems some people were able to. I think they just got lucky. Aside from this we continued up the trail until we got to the road. The path itself is beautiful to me. For us there wasn’t anything special to see along the path like with the waterfalls so turned back instead of continuing on past the main road.

The trailhead is at the lodge and you have to walk for about 20 minutes before you feel you are in the woods. But after that initial jaunt there are several miles of nice forest trails—and more than several if you link 2-3 trails together.

Beautiful trail.

Took the trail to the road crossing. The trail itself doesn’t really offer any great views, however there are moderately hard paths from the trail down to the falls. There are at least three more sets of falls below the falls which are visible from the bridge

Very nice walk. The bridge is on the pathway, the view points to take pictures of the bridge/ waterfall are not. Can be slippery to get close to the water's edge so be careful! We didn't pass anyone on the trail so it was a nice forest walk without any commotion. Very nice.

If you just want to see the falls. park by the lodge and it's right there. Very beautiful.

Loved this trail...ended up missing the first section of the red trail and took several more than we intended, which worked out perfectly. It’s a magical forest with dense flora; beautiful green moss and lovely waterfalls throughout.

This road was rocky and has a lot of tree roots in the trail. It was very enjoyable.

great hike. kinda short.

It was beautiful and peaceful but could use a few more signs.

Tue Jul 10 2018

The falls were pretty, we started right near the lodge, where the falls is, rest of the hike was just forest, peaceful but not as exciting as I had hoped it to be.

Fri Jul 06 2018

This was a great hike. A lot of forest views. We went up to Balanced Rock and kept going until we came out at the "farm" where the Yellow Birch Trail started. It had rained the day before, so boots were definitely nice to have. You can go down to the Elakala Falls if you continue down the right, over the hill, where you can see somewhat of a trail. The rocks are slippery (obviously), so use caution. There wasn't a lot of traffic on this trail. In 2 hours we only passed four people. If anyone else is into stickers for their water bottles or laptops, the gift shop by the actual Blackwater Falls has a ton. Great trail!!

Fri Oct 06 2017

Beautiful day for a hike in Davis, WV. Parked at Blackwater Lodge and found many trails. Stop in the lodge first and ask for a trails map. Hiked app. 6 miles and I had the three trails I was on all to myself. Falls were running low due to the lack of rain lately. I am staying at Black Bear Lodge just South of Davis, very nice. Mike Furey

Thu Oct 05 2017

More forest than anything. Low falls however only to split before balance rock was completed.

Mon Oct 02 2017

lots of roots. forest views only.

Sun Aug 20 2017

AMAZING

Fri May 26 2017

very nice trail. Trail is marked but there are several other path that are not trails. Couple waterfalls on this trail.

Sat Dec 31 2016

Wonderful park. Well marked trails, but all intersect making it easy to stray off planned track. We saw multiple deer during the short hike. Beautiful bridges and with snow looks like a winter wonderland.

Sat Nov 12 2016

Really enjoyed this hike. It is easy and scenic.

Sat Nov 12 2016

A nice hike with a lot of scenery.