Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge, Blackbird Knob, and Upper Red Creek Trail Loop

Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge, Blackbird Knob, and Upper Red Creek Trail Loop is a 15.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jordan Run, West Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Was planning to do 10 miles on day 1 and then finish up the loop on day 2 but the rain set in at about mile 5. We set up camp and decided to stay there for the night due to the continuous rain. The next day we hiked the 5 miles back to the trailhead. From what we were able to see during those first 5 miles, it was beautiful. The only downside was that it is VERY wet (even before the rain came). Make sure your boots are waterproof and bring extra pairs of socks. I will be making a trip back soon to complete the hike.

It was our first time to Dolly Sods. Really unexpected, beautiful scenery. We arrived on Friday afternoon and hiked in about 3 miles before setting up camp for the first night. On the second day, one of the dogs got loose after catching a scent and caused a minor detour... luckily she found her way back to us! We hiked through to the forks where there were lots of swimming holes to explore, and a lot of fun.

Everything was very wet, very very muddy. Gaiters are highly recommended. We took our dogs and they loved it, not overly difficult for them. There were lots of other people on the trail but we still got a lot of alone time, especially on the breathed mountain trail. There was a lot of water available at random springs, but I can imagine things would be different if it hadn’t been raining so much lately. I would fill up every chance you get.

On the last day, we hiked out through the lower and upper creek trails. The lower creek trail was basically a swamp!

Overall, we had a great time and really enjoyed our hike. We will definitely be back!

took this trail and did the 21 mile lions head loop.. missed lions head but great trail.. essentially the same trail as this plus two more

This is a beautiful area. I put a lot of info in my recording. Check it out.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

great trail with a solid change of scenery. best campsite was 1/10 of mile before beaver dam trail off of Dobbin grade which I was up to my knees in mud in some places. this trail is a single track featuring sand, rock, dirt, stream and a few creek crossings so prepare to be wet. this trail was also very boggy ..couldnt get the campsite we wanted to finished the trail in about 7 hours with cutting out the stem to lower red creek

Saturday, September 02, 2017