Coopers Rock State Forest Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(177)
Coopers Rock State Forest

Coopers Rock State Forest Loop is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morgantown, West Virginia that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 613 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

cave

historic site

NOTE: Trail is open but overlook is closed due to COVID-19. Coopers Rock offers activities for fishers, hikers, hunters, campers and rock climbers. Several trails wind through forest valleys, through enormous boulders, and over ridges. A 6-acre pond that is regularly stocked with trout provides fishing in season. Please note this is a series of several connecting trails that may not be well marked. Be sure to use map to guide you along the way as to not get lost.

Very beautiful park and well maintained! This trail is great for doing a DIY route that can add on miles if you find yourself up to it! There’s a diversity of trees and scenery changes as well as different trail structures which keeps it fresh. Today we made a detour for the lake and furnace which was nice for my friend who was a first timer. Usually we start at the Underlook/Underside Trail and go along Rock City and Rattlesnake and kind of just meander our way through. Having a GPS is nice for not following the trails exactly and making your own loop.

Really great hike. Started at the Clay Run trailhead instead of the overlook parking lot to get a hike in before reaching the overlook “summit.” Definitely recommend this! Trail wasn’t marked well around the small reservoir, but we easily got back on track. A little muddy/watery in some parts but an overall gorgeous hike. Did the Rattlesnake trail instead of Rock City upon approach to the overlook. Was really fun to climb around the boulders and keep an eye out for snakes!

This isn’t an ‘official’ trail - I believe we went on McCollum trail up to coopers rock. Nice moderately challenging hike through forest with a great view at the top.

One of the best trails my boyfriend and I have done. Our favorite part was rattlesnake trail!

Great trail less than 2 hours outside of Pittsburgh. Started off on the Rattlesnake Trail and went back on the AllTrails route. Rattlesnake was fun with a lot of crevasses and climbing for 0.8 miles. The whole trail (5 miles) was very well marked. Good variety in elevation, terrain, creeks, etc. Overlook is closed though due to Coronavirus which is unfortunate; it looked really nice.

this is a REALLY fun area for hiking. Beautiful rock formations and plenty of forest.

Hiked part of the trail with my German shepherd today. It was nice and cool out with not many people out. Saw a few hunters in the distance. It was really pretty with all the leaves on the ground.

Did get off the path once but reading prior reviews and using a map helped! Great hike!

The view was great, quite a bit of people though. We went to the scenic outlook area. Didn’t get to explore the trails very much because it was so crowded everywhere you went, so we decided to come back another time. I moved here from a different state so I didn’t know what to expect. Definitely will try to go on a week day next time.

I started along the road side trail until it cut north and continued counter clockwise. This area is some of the most gorgeous I have hiked in the WV area, however, be aware that the GPS overlay of this area does not match up well to the trail loop depicted. I had to turn around 3 separate times because the GPS overlay showed me taking one trail when in reality I should have taken the other which was not always marked as a trail and often times looked more like a maintenance road. The trail does have maps along the route posting where you are, however, this was the first time I have had issues with the overlay not matching. Definitely great for families and recommend checking out the overlook as well as the iron furnace!

The no trail, that's what the locals call it. This trail is a conglomeration of several trails. These trails are well marked. Suggest you obtain a trail map from the office and take a few minutes BEFORE hiking to select which trailS to use. There are no markings for the Altrails Coopers Rock trail. Suggest to use Altrails app as a reference. The overall hike was fantastic. The trails were either loose rocks, or protruding roots. I would highly reccomend this hike.... after planning your route. It is for that reason. I took a star

Definitely need trail markers. Even using AllTrails we went off trail. Otherwise, nice!

Beautiful. Great state park with some very scenic trails. I would recommend doing the Rattlesnake trail too.

Great trails some harder than others all though end with a well rewarding view. As always Wild and Wonderful.

Very fun hike! Accidentally took Rattlesnake Trail but that turned out to be my favorite part.

Thu May 02 2019

Make sure you read the reviews and trail description, as this isn't one trail but a series of trails pieced together. If you keep that in mind, the trails are REALLY well marked with clear signage throughout. We had a tough time figuring out which way to start but were good once we got on the Rock City trail (and honestly you could probably just start with that). Hiked clockwise and detoured to have lunch by the reservoir. Varied landscape and beautiful scenery throughout. We also detoured to see Ravens Rock... that trail is annoying (rocky AND muddy) but worth it for the views.