Blue Bend Loop Trail

Blue Bend Loop Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

While there are parts of this trail that are absolutely beautiful and the hike is quite a workout, I did not anticipate how long I'd be out there (3 hours!) and how overgrown the trail would be. I hiked this in late June so I should have known better than to wear shorts. The trail is so overgrown in places that I was sometimes unsure if I was even on the path.
The entire thing is poorly marked but there is one spot in particular that about had me in a panic not knowing which way to go. If at the trailhead you start by going left, a little more than half way when you come to a rhododendron canopy that ends in a rocky creek bed, walk to your left down the rocky creek bed and the trail picks up on your right.
My dog loved it, but I have no interest in hiking this narrow, overgrown trail again any time soon.

Hiked this trail on April 20, 2017. Went clockwise from the trail head. After about 3.5 miles (3:15 PM) a storm rolled in. We stood our ground at about 2000 feet near what appeared to be pretty sturdy, uneroded trees. The wind picked up (about 40 MPH) and we watched the trees sway significantly. We kept a watch on nearby trees for any sign of failure. After about 15 minutes the wind died down and the rain began. We continued the hike and reached the river in about 20 minutes. There were many trees (20 - 30) down across the trail (See photos).

Saturday, September 19, 2015

GPS directions are no good. Plug this address into your GPS and it will get you to the camp area, bridge where the trailhead is.
Blue Bend Rd
White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986
United States

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Up and down. From the suspension bridge I went left on the loop. I preferred this as the ascent is steeper up the switchbacks on this side of the mountain. This way I got the climb out of the way and then enjoyed a more moderate descent ending with level hike along the river. Trail is not well marked, but typically obvious to follow. However, on the ridge line it was pretty overgrown and there were couple times I wondered if I had strayed off trail. Nope.

What I really like about this trail is the variation. Sometimes canopied like a tunnel, other times barely a ridge along a steep hillside, other times beautiful open woodland, skirting the river or scenic look outs. It's a great trail, with nice camp ground at the trail head.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Enjoy the hike. The trail was in good condition. Took a break at the shelter. Great views from the overlooks.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

you leave the swinging bridge and start up anthony creek trail . you head downstream along the river for about 3.8 miles . then you turn left on blue bend loop trail were you ascend up 7 switch back that lead to the shelter , then you start to descent were you come across 3 great overlooks then to the swinging bridge....

Saturday, May 28, 2016