Learn more

Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge Trail and Dobbin Grade Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(186)
Dolly Sods Wilderness

Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge Trail and Dobbin Grade Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cabins, West Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.5 mi Elevation gain 698 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Backpacking Camping Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Forest Views Wild flowers Muddy
Waypoints (0)
Photos (471)
Recordings (121)
Completed (447)
Jeff Freas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
HikingGreat!

Great hike with views for miles.

View Jeff's Recording
Cassie Nicole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
HikingMuddy

I loved the first 1/2-3/4 of the trail. After taking my shoes off to cross the creek, it got extremely muddy. I’m talking, up to your knees mud on and off for the next couple miles. I wish I would have turned around before crossing the creek and just did an out and back instead of the loop. It is a beautiful area though.

Allyza Lustig
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
HikingMuddyOff trailOver grownRocky

Awesome trail, extremely beautiful and not too many people despite starting at a popular viewpoint. Make sure to have a paper map with you, because the trail is poorly marked, especially in the marshy sections. It is super muddy (up to our knees at points) so be prepared. Highly recommend hiking counter-clockwise to get the most muddy parts over first and spend the last part drying off.

Shenna Goldizen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
CampingGreat!MuddyRocky

Such an amazing experience! Took a 2 day hike trip and you’re going to have wet feet but the views are absolutely stunning. So many camping spots off trail and you’re not alone. Lots of hikers out on trail through the day. Down side to the hike was Dobbin Grade trail. We will definitely avoid it next time. The swamp and marsh was 100 times worse than the other trails. Sunk down to my knees and was exhausting but definitely worth it, once we got through!

Shannon Neely
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
HikingGreat!MuddyOff trailRocky
View Shannon's Recording
Jessi Morgan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingMuddy

This trail is beautiful and not necessarily challenging. The biggest “hurdle” to cross is the swamp area. I walked the trail counterclockwise, so the swamp was toward the end. Your feet will get wet; there’s no avoiding it. Also, parking is insane on the weekends. It gets so congested. If I do this trail again, I won’t go on a weekend and I’ll probably try to find a way to avoid the swamp area. Even if that means doing this as an out and back trail.

Carly Grove
Hiking

We took the left approach to the loop trail and we are so glad we did. First half of the loop is VERY muddy and deep in some spots. Which is kind of funny to navigate! After that, it is smooth sailing and dries up so you can hammer out the rest of the trail. Doing that direction also has less uphill. Overall we had an awesome time on this hike!!

View Carly's Recording
Kelly Sprenkeling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

Easy hike that is well marked. Loop through drubbin was very muddy after a week of rain so we turned back. Lot's of meadows and less forest than other parts of dolly sods.

View Kelly's Recording
Katherine Murdock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2020

Gorgeous Alpine tundra Lake Meadows

View Katherine's Recording
Adria Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2020
HikingMuddy

This trail is absolutely beautiful. You get a variety of views, ones I would consider the most unique in the state. Also, the trailhead is right down from Bear Rocks, where you can climb around and admire a stunning overlook. However, the mud last week made parts of the trail really difficult, the Dobbin Grade section around miles 4-5 in particular. We were okay since we had waterproof boots on, but there were sections that were nearly unavoidable. I wouldn’t recommend taking kids nor dogs on it. With that said, we loved the scenery of this trail and had a great time doing it despite the mud. It’s just up to you if you have the shoes for it and are up for dealing with it!

Marie Allman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 14, 2020
Hiking

Turned around and the Dobbin’s Trail turn off, was pretty muddy there out.

View Marie's Recording
Lizbeth Santana
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020

This was my favorite hike in Dolly Sods. the scenery was beautiful, there were wild blueberries to pick. The parts where there were no shade was the best part. However, we decided to hike counterclockwise on this trail, missed a marker at the end and ended up on the road where we parked. This is how we missed the muddy areas. It does become a little rocky and at some parts very narrow. Next time I would make this hike longer and sleep overnight to hike and see the Lions head!

Ben M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingMuddy

This hike was surely an adventure and we enjoy it. It is a very pretty route with a large variety of foliage. We really enjoyed the aspens. The Raven Ridge portion was especially beautiful with sweeping views. The trail was easy to follow except... the reviews below about the mud are accurate. The Dobbin Grade Trail is a 1.5 mile slog. We decided to go for it because we didn't mind getting muddy and had brought along water shoes. We wore those for all of Dobbin Grade, because each time it seemed to dry up we'd run across more mud. There's no way to complete this trail without going into the mud up to your ankles (or more). The worst mud is right after you cross Red Creek going counter clockwise. We were careful in our footing and only once did one of us go in deeper than that (to the knee). After a heavy rain I would imagine the mud could become quite treacherous. If you'd like to try this trail, I'd recommend preparing accordingly and being realistic about how long it will take you to complete it safely, or if you should try it at all. I would certainly not recommend it for those hiking with children or dogs. It's really a shame because this otherwise was a very pretty hike and there aren't really any other day hike loop options in the northeastern section.

Kate Turluck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020

Tons of muddy fun!

Jacob Boyce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
View Jacob's Recording
Taylor McNelis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingFloodedGreat!MuddyRocky

The first 4 miles are excellent. It's a beautiful hike and the scenery changes on you constantly, you can't help but take lots of photos. However, I recommend at the 3.8 mile mark when you cross the river just turn around. Mile 4-5 is AWFUL! It's horrible, confusing, and not fun at all. You will fall thigh deep in mud multiple times. Not watery mud either, that thick, goopy, gunk mud and there isnt a way around it. So many times I would step forward and be maybe ankle deep mud, no problem, and then my next step would sink all the way into the ground up to my knee or higher. I'm just glad I didn't get injured or tweak my knee cause it wasn't "safe" They also need to add a trail marker by the river because the trail looks like it continues straight, and there is even a campsite straight ahead. however, after a mile down the "trail" something felt off, so I checked my map and its not a trail. Its not marked anywhere even though its clearly a path. So I turned around looking where I mightve missed the actual trail, and there's this tiny strip along the river that leads to a bunch of mud and flooded grass which looks nothing like a hiking trail. Guess what..it is. So my suggestion is they put a sign there because its very easy to miss and the not trail looks more like the correct way to go haha. Dont believe me go look at Dylan's review/recording. You can see he made the same mistake I did. I'll be honest mile 4-5 really bummed me out. I was soaked in mud up to my thighs, the unknown footing makes the whole area very injury prone. Just turn around the way you came in and make it an 8 mile in and out. Other than that, go in the morning to catch the beautiful sunrise and really cool fog sitting below the trees.

Julie Gruber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingMuddy

Great day hike. Mostly in areas of no shade, but some parts were through the forest. You have to cross the creek in two areas, so be sure to have waterproof footwear. Definitely muddy. We loved this trail!

Dylan Frercks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingMuddy

This trail was nice but not for beginners (like us). Dobbins gets EXTREMELY muddy (ankle deep at times).

View Dylan's Recording