Learn more

Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge Trail and Dobbin Grade Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(174)
Dolly Sods Wilderness

Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge Trail and Dobbin Grade Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cabins, West Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.5 mi Elevation gain 698 ft Route type Loop

Photos (328)
Recordings (101)
Completed (378)
Julie Gruber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 08 2020
HikingMuddy

Great day hike. Mostly in areas of no shade, but some parts were through the forest. You have to cross the creek in two areas, so be sure to have waterproof footwear. Definitely muddy. We loved this trail!

Dylan Frercks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingMuddy

This trail was nice but not for beginners (like us). Dobbins gets EXTREMELY muddy (ankle deep at times).

View Dylan's Recording
Mitchell Gruver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 29 2020
HikingMuddy

This is a great day hike to experience the temperate tundra and sweeping vistas that make Dolly Sods so attractive. That being said, expect to come out of the trail with muddy shoes and soaked socks. Dobbin Grade trail in particular tends to be more trudging through marshland and less walking a defined trail. Red creek needs to be crossed twice, and there is no bridge to ford the creek. Sunscreen is a must.

View Mitchell's Recording
Cameron Gallentine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingFloodedMuddyRocky

Fantastically beautiful train moving through varied environments. Highly recommend, but prepare to get muddy! Not particularly challenging otherwise

View Cameron's Recording
James Azzaro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
Hiking

A fantastic hike with beautiful views. A real favorite!

Jessica Manantan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Beautiful day on this trail! Lots of time spent in the open so definitely wear sunblock. Once I came to Dobbin Grade Trail, had to cross a creek. There were some rocks lined up that I used to get across but feet still got wet. After crossing the creek, I started heading up the hill but since I was recording, the AllTrails app alerted me that I was off the trail actually. Was able to adjust. The Dobbin Grade Trail had a LOT of marshy wet areas. Trying to get around them isn’t always possible. Some rocks and branches help in some areas, but you have to get creative in other instances. Some you just simply can’t avoid. I went in ankle deep a few times and just accepted the fact that my feet were going to be wet. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the trail and time in the “tundra-like” wilderness. This was my first time here and will definitely be coming back for more trails. Passed lots of backpackers that had been there over the weekend. Plenty of spots to stop and camp along the way.

View Jessica's Recording
Michael Wainwright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jan 02 2020

Fantastic 1/2 day route!

Tad Fisher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 03 2019
Backpacking

Did this section of the trail as part of a larger backpacking trip in October. Easily one of my favorite trails. Beautiful views and the silence on top of the ridge is amazing!

Melser Bonilla
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Nov 11 2019
HikingIcyMuddySnow

A wonderful hike no complaints and yes about 4 miles in the hiking trail that follows the creek (about a mile) is not what I would call mud but it's spongy and some spots saturated with water that you'll have to figure a way to get around it however from the start of the trail it was icy which I would imagine being muddy if it wasn't icy. So bring an extra pair of shoes as socks and enjoy the hike.

Stephen Krotec
HikingMuddy

this place was amazing. My wife and I hiked this today Nov 11th. it was spectacular, it felt like we were in another world. It is a very muddy trail as mentioned, It may be worse in the spring and summer Idk. But all i can say is a place like Dolly Sods demands a little respect if you plan on hiking this in sneakers or those little keen hiking shoes you're probably not gona have a good time. A good pair of water proof boots will save your life here. We got muddy as hell but our feet stayed dry through all the creek crossings and bogs. Take good gear and dont forget your camera this hike is amazing.

Jake Thornton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Oct 31 2019
Hiking

This place is amazing! It’s so diverse and offers so much unique beauty that isn’t just blatantly visually stunning. Beat rocks is a great place the sunrise. The trail offered a wide variety of vegetation. My favorite spot is just down from the board walk at red creek. The Trail really opens up at the raven ridge Intersection making you feel like you’re a thousand miles from nowhere. As others have stated and whined about, yes the dobbins grade trail portion of the loop is muddy... but this is nature and it’s dolly Sods “wilderness”. I guess people expect nature to stop being nature for their convenience. I found navigating the muddy areas pretty fun and not as horrible as everyone has made it out to be. I completed the loop and didn’t double back.

Don Sherman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Oct 25 2019
View Don's Recording
Katie Stasa
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 13 2019

Muddy.

Brittany Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 12 2019
View Brittany's Recording
Dave Atkinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 06 2019
HikingMuddyOff trailRocky

September 2019 - Beautiful......!

Terra Thimm
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Oct 04 2019
View Terra's Recording
David Lane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 15 2019
Hiking

My wife and I have wanted to start exploring the Dolly Sods wilderness for quite some time. We are both avid outdoor folks but we also have a long history of injuries and surgeries. I’ve had 2 back surgeries and multiple fractures in my lumbar spine. We wanted to make a good day hike and studied the area and reviews looking for the best suited trail for us to tackle. With no intentions to stay overnight, we packed basic supplies for some leisurely time in the woods and enjoy a meal. Each of our packs weighed about 30 pounds each. The trail was moderately easy and Most inclines were gradual. Most reviews said to stay away from Dobbs trail due to the mud, luckily we found mostly dry conditions due to low rainfall. Beautiful scenery, plenty of areas to rest in the shade once you’re through the meadows. Trails can get rocky with washouts and be carful once you start the Beaver Dam trail due to the high number of exposed tree roots found on narrower sections of the trail. Overall, I think it’s a great trail to start and pace yourself on. Definitely looking forward to another trail a little longer to do an overnight trip on.

Avery Wilkinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 01 2019
View Avery's Recording
Michael Checknoff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

This was a Dylan Thomas poem of a trail. We went this opposite direction many people do, enjoying Bear Rocks trail and Raven Ridge trail sections first. So beautiful. We learned from other hikers later that we should have gone off the circuit for a while, heading right or north on Raven Ridge trail some beyond the intersection where Bear Rocks hits Raven Ridge. Then, after we waded across Red Creek at the beginning of Dobbin Grade trail, hikers warned us off the rest of Dobbin because they were getting into mud up to their knees. We took a small trail east uphill from the river crossing (we weren’t the only ones), thinking it would get us to the Beaver Dam trail parking lot. It ascended to a beautiful view but then curved north (left) and back downhill. It did eventually intersect with the real trail to Beaver Dam trail parking lot but I think we added more than a mile to the circuit and the uncertainty about where we were heading, even with the AllTrails GPS, was disconcerting. We did completely avoid Dobbin so that was a plus. Walking down the road to the parking area for Bear Rocks was ok. But the headline is that most of this circuit hike takes you through high altitude meadows that are stunningly beautiful.

Mario Lombardo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Aug 22 2019
HikingMuddyRocky

Loved the bear rocks trail. Such a unique landscape. We planned on taking raven ridge to dobbin but decided to shy away from dobbin because off its reputation for being a mud pit. We did hike raven ridge over to dobbin and personally it wasn’t worth it. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone right on raven instead of left to dobbin. I don’t know what was to the right but the part that leads to dobbin wasn’t much. Just my opinion. I could have stayed on bear rocks trail all day. It was spectacular.