Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge Trail and Dobbin Grade Trail

Bear Rocks Trail to Raven Ridge Trail and Dobbin Grade Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cabins, West Virginia that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Loop

Dolly mud pit SOD. not worth the drive just to walk in mud. I rather drive 2 extra hours to Roan mountains to get a better view.

This trail was a wet mess when I went. My dog’s entire body almost got submerged in a mud bog several times. I almost lost a boot twice.

We hiked this trail on May 10th. It is so different from any trail we have been on before with absolutely stunning views. Very easy trail, however, after having lots of rain this week/weekend and raining the morning we went, we couldn’t go more than maybe .5-1 mile past the sign for Dobbins Area. It was so unbelievably muddy and swampy. We had gotten to a point where we were ankle deep in mud. We pushed through for a little, but it was only getting deeper and harder to trek through. There was no way around and we were sure we would be knee deep in mud if we continued. Being the cold and misty day that it was, we decided to turn around and call it quits on that portion of the trail. We back-tracked to the sign and decided to go counter-clockwise a bit (more of an out and back kinda deal rather than the loop) over the wooden bridge and on through the meadowy/rolling hill areas. Very beautiful and not muddy in that direction. I would highly recommend this trail, but ONLY when it has not been raining for days unless you’re mentally prepared to go knee deep in mud.

This is a perfect beginner/moderate trail in Dolly Sods. Be prepared for the marsh area of Dobbins Grade once crossing the creek. It made for a fun hike through but we were knee deep at some points. Not our favorite loop in the wilderness area but definitely one of the best and most diverse!

I ran the Highlands Sky Ultra here in 2015, and keep returning to the area to visit portions of the race course. Bear Rocks/Raven Ridge is a favorite. The wide open scrubbiness always feels epic to run... but watch your feet- rocks will f$&@ you up!

One of my favorites. A beautiful little hike through the sods. Can be a bit muddy so prepare!

GREAT views!! Very quiet once you get away from the parking lot. Way overcrowded at the parking lot at Bear Rocks. People parking in the grass alongside the road, not picking up their trash and dog crap. So much for a wilderness area. Won't be long til its permit only. Otherwise, even though VERY wet and muddy, it was great hiking! Wear some shoes with ankle support. Most of the trail is very uneven and rocky. Two stream crossings on this route. Neither very hard. First one you need to step rock to rock to avoid shin deep water. Take something to help balance if you have it.

Just got back from my 10th trip to Dolly Sods. Bear Rocks, Raven Ridge, Rocky Ridge are still my favorite trails to be on. I actually like Dobbin's Grade too, including the swamp area! I consider it the mark of a successful trip if I get through the swamp without having water get in my boots. This was a successful trip, and my advice to anyone is make sure you have a walking stick, and each time you get to a tough spot, start poking in the water for hard spots. Almost always you can pick your way right through the middle by looking for firm spots an inch or two below the water.

Did a 3 day backpacking trip starting at Bear Rocks and going as far as Lion’s Head and back. Great trip! Amazing views! Kinda rocky so make sure you’re wearing some good socks and you tie you shoes up tight!

Bear Rocks and Rocky Ridge are very nice. A few areas with tree coverage, mostly wide-open flats. Only one or two areas with steep uphill. I’d consider it between easy and moderate. Avoid the Dobbin area if it has rained at all the day of or days prior... it was literally a swamp when we went through. Mud up to your knees in areas and no way of avoiding most puddles.

Bear Rocks and Rocky Ridge were beautiful. Lots of open meadows and valley views from those trails. there were quite a few campsites along the entire hike. I saw maybe 5 or 6 campsites that were being used,but even more that were not. At all costs, avoid the portion of the Dobbin Grade that connects Raven Ridge to Bear Rocks. A decent amount of that "trail" is literally a swamp. Unless you've got rain boots that go up to your knees, you'll regret taking it. All-in-all, a great hike.

We took a shorter loop, starting at Bear Rocks, then going on Dobbin Grade, and back on Beaver Dam. This particular loop is not difficult though very wet in the spring and requires going off the trail at several points to get around the high water. This trail is probably better for bigger dogs though we did take our bichon out once, we had to carry him a lot through mud. Views are beautiful, especially in the spring when everything is a lush green with flowers blooming. Weather has always been cool, sunny, low humidity and just perfect. This loop is also not bad if you have a child in a carrier.

beautiful views on this trail

Very beautiful and serene. The campground is about two miles from the parking lot. It was the perfect place to camp as it was private and we didn’t have to drive back down the mountain to get to it. Beautiful views and lots of wild blueberries

Beautiful scenery and very desolate. For most of the hike I was completely alone. The trails are rocky but not too bad. Wear waterproof boots and bring extra socks. Dobbin Grade Trail is a muddy bog. You can easily be knee deep in mud if you’re not careful! Avoid if possible. Overall the views and experience were well worth it.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

We did Bear Rocks -> Raven Ridge - > Rocky Ridge - > Dobbin Grade - > Beaver Dam - >back to raven ridge and re-traced Bear Rocks The section of this trail was moderate with lots of ferns, berries, and meadows. Sweeping views and some good camping spots. I def recommend continuing on to Rocky ridge from this loop for some even more unique views and cool rocks that have been shaped by the wind.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

hike down the hill is nice. Then left at the crossroads... tons of water, and spongy places, mucky and muddy. Went after rain which was not a great choice. Other side of the creek was beautiful. Go expecting to get wet and take extra shoes/clothes.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

beautiful place. allloooottt of water on the trails. pretty much hike Creek beds. trail markers are few and far between, lots of trails to circumvent the actual trail because of water. alot of random campsites already established with fire rings . overall had a great time. just wish for more trail markers or blaze marks.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Loved it was a great day so many different eco areas bogs, open plains, spruce forrest, oak forrest, rock sprees,creek filled hollers.....two thumbs and a smile on my face.....

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Be prepared to get your feet wet. Trails pretty much consist of walking somewhat dried up creek beds. Nov conditions this weekend, icy the first day, wet and muddy the next day. Wasn’t prepared to get knee deep in mud! Trails were not well marked until they intersected, then there were wooden signs with distance between each trail. Nice and quiet trail, great for dogs. Lots of great camping sites along the way with fire pits made by others

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Very beautiful....especially this time of year. Reason for 4.....looked like the Hillary step—so many people

Friday, September 22, 2017

Excellent trail with plenty of views. There are some inclines and a stream. Plenty of spots to stop and camp as well!

Monday, August 28, 2017

Started off on bear rocks...beautiful views of the rolling plains heading towards raven ridge...trail was a little rocky but very well identified and easy to follow...raven ridge quickly turned to spruce and mountain laurel thickets that opened up into more rolling plains towards dobbin grade...dobbin grade was nasty and boggy as usual...ended the hike back at the forest road, via beaver dam trail which was easy walking and slightly uphill...overall this hike was great because of all of the scenery changes...a lot of nice places to camp along the way as well.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Hiked the bear rocks trail and camped near Red Creek. An excellent place to spend the night, nestled among moss-covered boulders on a bed of pine needles from the coniferous canopy overhead, listening to the ever-present gurgle of red creek. Nice!

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Fun trail but really muddy right now with all the rain this year!