Appalachian Trail: Weverton to Gathland State Park

Appalachian Trail: Weverton to Gathland State Park is a 18.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome view!!

love it

loved it

Nice trail, good views of Potomac River. Garvey Shelter is nice. Good hike with a dog. Not overcrowded!

Ripped through this shit bout 5 years ago. Lovely and burly terrain and steep hills to climb to boot. Stepped on a Copperhead along the way out..

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Nice uphill climb from Harpers Ferry to Weverton Cliffs with a gorgeous view. Nice gradual hike for last 5 miles to State Park

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Full disclosure - I did not hike the entire 18.8 miles. I began in Weverton and walked south for about 90 minutes and then headed back. (Still, 10,000 steps!) The trail is essentially a wide bike path covered in gravel. It's not a difficult walk. So, to make it difficult, I went off the path. After a good half-hour on the trail proper, I took a hard right and headed toward the river and then followed a less-maintained path along the river in the direction of Harper's Ferry. This, too, was not too difficult, and there's much more to see (and good pictures of the river, too). After an hour or so, I walked back to the gravel trail and then looked for a way to get to the railroad tracks, which run parallel to the trail. Talk about Americana! There was a freight train sitting there, so I walked alongside it. Oh, but then a train came in the opposite direction, and I thought of Stand By Me, so I moved off to the side. After the train passed and I came to the end of the idle train, it was just me, the sky, and the woods. And the tracks. Anyway, I did see birds and squirrels and a few monarch butterflies, and lemme tell you, it was cool. So the downside to this hike is that the trail is kind of dull - although it is flat and eminently walkable.

Friday, July 08, 2016

very beautiful and the view at Weverton Cliffs was amazing...the perfect hike if you have 5-6 hours to spare.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Done as part of the MD AT hike. Nice area, far less rocky than the northern sections.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Good view. Good parking.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

I could not go all the way on this trail. Partly because I had done a couple shorter trails in the morning and maybe it was too tough for me.

Monday, September 07, 2015

was a nice little hike to go to with friends! Not my favorite trail but it was still nice to do.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

I've hiked this trail many times the views n wildlife are amazing. You can see Harpers Ferry where the Potomac n Shenandoah rivers meet. A whole weekend is not enough to explore it all so plan well and don't be rushed

Sunday, January 19, 2014

I did this with my 17 YO son in early September. Was a warm day and with the afternoon came thundershowers. Nice hike from Gathland State Park to Weverton Clifs had lunch, enjoyed the views from there, then hiked back. There are some moderate changes in elevation that you need to be in pretty good shape to navigate. Also there are sections of the trail that are very rocky so where appropriate footwear.

The views from Weverton are incredible but if you are there on a nice day expect the cliffs to be fairly crowded. In the last few years I have been to the cliffs 3 times and each time there was a fairly large group on the cliffs (church group, scouts, etc.) Generally I sit, have lunch, let them leave then enjoy some peace and quiet and excellent views.

If the distance from Gathland to Weverton is too far for you there is a parking lot at the base of the mountain. Tough high up to the cliffs --mostly switchbacks and can be very steep.. but well worth it

Sunday, March 18, 2012

did this from the parking lot in knoxville to the Ed Garvey AT shelter and back. the views from the cliffs are pretty nice and the area offers a bit of respite after the hike up. the day i went was pretty warm for winter [78] and had been a foggy AM. by the time i got to the cliffs it was hazie so views weren't that great.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

I just did a quarter of this trial ... from Gathland State Park to the hiker's hut. This part of the hike is relatively easy with some gradual and moderate inclines. Plan on doing the entire hike when the weather gets warmer and days longer.